What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Final straw for me for Blue Mountain

glenmthompson

Well Known Member
Sent this just now to BM. I sent 1550 bucks in mid Dec. with a promise of delivery in 8 weeks.
All potential BM purchasers and those of you with money down, BEWARE!!!!

Sheila, if you do not have a tracking number for me
as you read this email (as of 07:00 AM EST Saturday
May 21) the please immediatly refund my money. I will
refuse a package with a tracking number after this
time. The last straw was you looking me straight in
the eye and saying my unit would be shipped "next
week" while I was at Sun N Fun. I shall be purchasing
a Dynon, yep hard to read in the sun, but not as hard
to read as an instrument I cannot get.
Please immediately mail me my check to:
Glen Thompson 2000 Greenbriar Blvd wellington
Fl. 33414
561-670-6095.
PS DO NOT CREDIT THE CARD YOU HAVE ON FILE! IT IS A
CARD OF A FRIEND THAT OWES ME MONEY. THIS WILL NOT
WORK FOR ME. SEND A CHECK OR I WILL GIVE YOU MY
CHECKING ACCOUNT NUMBER FOR FUND DEPOSIT.

This is one of many posts I've seen that go something like "I paid for my (whatever) and am still waiting for it". Blue Mountain is certainly not the only one guilty of these extreme delays, but it occurs to me that we as customers can do a lot to prevent this kind of crap by NEVER paying in full until an item is ready for shipping. I ordered and paid for an item the other day after being told it was ready to ship. The next day I was told that it was back ordered and would take a month. I immediately cancelled the order. Giving a small good faith deposit is one thing, but these guys that ask for full payment months in advance are full of sh** and we all know it. If a company needs startup money then let em go to the bank like everybody else.

Steve Zicree

always pay with a credit card

If you don't get what you want when it was promised, just call your card company and let them know you want the charge reversed... problem solved.

Not sure why you copied your 'post' to BMA on this board because that's about the last thing that is going to get your product shipped quicker.

Best to call the owner, (Greg) let him know you have an issue and how you expect for it to be resolved and what will happen if it isn't.

BTW, Sheila is living in a time warp (along with a lot of other vendors) and delivery promises don't mean squat without a valid tracking number.

-Clay

ClayR_9A said:
Not sure why you copied your 'post' to BMA on this board because that's about the last thing that is going to get your product shipped quicker.

...because he is going Dynon and is really ticked off.

Frankly, I appreciate his willingness to communicate a disservice and if it helps everyone out (including the company) all the better!

I have seen a similar situation on another BBS where someone stayed at a particular motel and was displeased. He posted it, the hotelier saw it, responded and came off looking really professional and on the "up and up"!

Good luck Glen!

Read again guys...

Hi Clay, listen I appreciate and respect all opinions and comments greatly, but if you will read a little closer, I do not want the unit shipped earlier. If it was not shipped yesterday, then I want an immediate refund! I do not want it at all! Gosh, imagine what problems I'd have with a warranty issue!
Also, as a side note, I am installing an Efis 1 in my friend's RV10 (will be flying in 60 days...DAMN we missed the first to fly!!! haha) Awsome unit, but the service is deplorable. I am an engineer, have built several planes, one a Sun N Fun award winner, and had a hard time with the way they wired the 1500 dollar harnesses. Pulling tiger teeth is easier to get than simple questions answered about wiring, polarity, pin and channel numbers. Cannot imagine a first time builder installing this thing! I also guess, that the almost 19 grand my friend spent on everything is not sufficient to deserve timely products or support!
PS, Sheila promised a 2 week delivery that took him 3 months , and was delivered only after numerous whineing phone calls. Goodness, great product if you can get it I guess, I will never know though how the efis lite looks in my plane.
Glen :mad:

glenmthompson said:
Sent this just now to BM. I sent 1550 bucks in mid Dec. with a promise of delivery in 8 weeks.
All potential BM purchasers and those of you with money down, BEWARE!!!!

Sheila, if you do not have a tracking number for me
as you read this email (as of 07:00 AM EST Saturday
May 21) the please immediatly refund my money. I will
refuse a package with a tracking number after this
time. The last straw was you looking me straight in
the eye and saying my unit would be shipped "next
week" while I was at Sun N Fun. I shall be purchasing
a Dynon, yep hard to read in the sun, but not as hard
to read as an instrument I cannot get.
Please immediately mail me my check to:
Glen Thompson 2000 Greenbriar Blvd wellington
Fl. 33414
561-670-6095.
PS DO NOT CREDIT THE CARD YOU HAVE ON FILE! IT IS A
CARD OF A FRIEND THAT OWES ME MONEY. THIS WILL NOT
WORK FOR ME. SEND A CHECK OR I WILL GIVE YOU MY
CHECKING ACCOUNT NUMBER FOR FUND DEPOSIT.

Last edited:
A lot of us are flying blind -- no pun intended -- when it comes to outfittig our panels. About all we have to go on, all things being equal, is the experience of other builders. I'm betting Blue Mountain has plenty of admirers and that's great , but this isn't the first thread of this kind I've read. At the same time, I don't think I've ever heard a discouraging word about Dynon. So guess what I'll probably end up buying.

In today's economy, it's ALL about customer service.

My experience with Dynon

Hi,

I have both a D10A (upgraded from a D10) and the new Dynon EMS. For both of these products I was an 'early adopter' and had to wait a few weeks for shipping. In both cases, Dynon was upfront about the delay and the items shipped approximately on time. They didn't charge my credit card until the order actually shipped.

I think you'll be happy. :D

btw: I agree on the Dynon screen being a bit poorer than the BMA unit, and I wish it had nav - but it is solid and the company has been great.

Thanks guys, you helped this fence-sitter make up his mind. I've read too many of these stories too. If I'm going to plunk down that kind of money I want GOOD support.

prepare for efis one ass kickin' when installing

glen,

regarding your comments on first time builders and the install-- right on. I have a pict entitled "60 hrs. and almost plug and play."

I hate to even start--(like hitting the temp probes after completely finished eng. harness and temps went down) since we're over the hump now but if BMA doesn't impliment corrections on all the mistakes, errors, missing info, way behind install manuals and corrections fed to them by customers then heaven help all of us. It could be close to plug and play if they get all the info published correctly.

good thing is-- they haven't let me down on phone calls and quick small component shipping. Wrong stuff to start with but at least they have come thru on customer support.

If a buyer of an e1 isn't good at jumpering and soldering pins, testing contuinity (sp?), bios programming, reading the very latest updates and posts on BMA's website; better have someone lined up to help you who is. And then you'll have more sophistication than a 727 in your plane.

sorry to hear you're jumping ship.

www.pbase.com/mark2nite

Separate is better sometimes w/ NAV/GPS

kevinh said:
btw: I agree on the Dynon screen being a bit poorer than the BMA unit, and I wish it had nav - but it is solid and the company has been great.
With out comment to one brand or another, there is something to be said about separate Flight (EFIS) and Nav units/displays. There is only so much info per square inch of display the brain can process. There is something to be said from having Nav info displayed on one screen, Flight info on another and engine info on another. That is the way Boeing does it.

Than there is the issue of cost and installation complication in having "super" displays with everything and relying on one vendor. :eek:

Cheers George

Last edited:
FYI...
Dynon isn't immune to broken promises and shipping delays either... I know from a friend of mine who FINALLY received his back from repair after several weeks of "It'll ship tomorrow" phone calls.

Granted, they do a better job than most though and I admire that. BMA should take a lesson.

I'll be the first to tell anyone.. the Efis/one isn't plug and play. Don't buy it if you expect a quick and painless install. But, if you are willing to spend some time with it, you'll be pleased.

Last point...
You're not going to get a check back for a charge to a "friend's" credit card. If the friend disputes the charge later, the vendor is out $1550. You better tell your friend to call their card company to dispute the charge and get the check from your friend.

Good luck!

Yes, Odds of getting a check in return will be quite slim.

One thing I like about the Dynon company, is their willingness to communicate publicly with we builders! Case in point, their web forum. I would think that if a company had skeletons in their closet, they wouldn't have a public BBS for people to hash it out on.

I know, this all can be moderated... but if that were the case it would be added workload to extinguish those fires if they became numerous! It looks like they have many happy customers!

Me? I am not ready for a decision yet, but this all goes into the equation.

Glen, please keep us posted! I, and others surely are interested!

:) CJ

Blue Mountain also has a forum and it has been in place much longer than Dynon's. As far as I can tell they haven't been deleting any of the negative messages, including ones complaining about late deliveries (search for G3).

If you did any homework on BMA it would be pretty clear that delivery targets are soft to say the least, not that that is an excuse for them. I've been quite impressed with the accessiblity you have directly to their engineers.

As far as I can tell their engineering department is working very hard to make the best system they can and they do take input from thier users.

Chuck

PS I don't have a BMA product and I don't work for them, just been doing my homework for when the cashflow = dreams...

chuck said:
Blue Mountain also has a forum and it has been in place much longer than Dynon's. As far as I can tell they haven't been deleting any of the negative messages, including ones complaining about late deliveries (search for G3).

Okay, this was not aware of. I trust you if you say so. I will surf around and offer them due diligence.

I dare say that I am of the "plug and play" group. I don't want something that requires too much prior knowledge. I don't mind learning a new trick, but I don't want to get my double E on this project!

:D CJ

I purchased two of the BMA G3s and thought I'd throw in my comments.
Their delay time was really long in getting the units shipped. I agree that Sheila seems to tell you what you want to hear, just to get you off the phone. (Been there, believe me! I'd rather hear the truth and then wait it out rather than be disappointed.)
The units really do look nice and the displays are great. My plane isn't flying yet, but close, so I can't comment on actual flight.
The G3, in my mind, offers a lot more than Dynon, for basically the same price. (Moving map GPS, to name one and the ability to tie into an autopilot.)
Dynon does offer AOA and BMA does not, although they say they will support it.
I am a little concerned about how difficult it will be to upgrade the G3 from downloads, but this is required for the GPS database if you want to keep it updated. Additionally, it does allow for the overall device to be updated with new bells and whistles as they are developed.
As someone said, the manuals could use some updating and editing, but they are getting better all the time. I find this to be normal for many electronic products. But, BMA is good about answering questions and helping you get things worked out, at least they have been for me.
If you want basic plug and play and are happy with the functionality that Dynon provides, I think it is the way to go.
If you want more...HSI, GPS, Autopilot, ability to get new features over time, you might want to check out BMA. (I don't know if Dynon lets you create check lists, but the BMA G3 does.)
I've had thoughts about whether or not I should have purchased BMA or not, but they offer all of the things I want in a great looking package, so I'll work it out and probably be pretty happy in the long run.
Just my 2 cents worth.

ClayR_9A said:
Last point...
You're not going to get a check back for a charge to a "friend's" credit card. If the friend disputes the charge later, the vendor is out $1550. You better tell your friend to call their card company to dispute the charge and get the check from your friend.

Good luck!
Yep! You can take that to the bank, so to speak!

-mike

Why limit your choices to only BMA and Dynon?

I haven't had a single bad experience with Grand Rapids Technologies
products. Basically, truely, plug and play. Software updates via a USB
card. Lighter than steam guages. Sunlight readable. Highly configurable.
Split screen capable. Embedded engine monitoring (with EIS).

I did have one hardware issue: I had one of the first AHRS units. I got
a call from GRT indicating that they would like to upgrade the AHRS unit.
They sent me a prepaid packing box. I mailed it back to them and in a
week I had the new updated unit. Cost? $0.

Have you heard ANYBODY complain about their products or service?
I don't remember a single bad posting, ever.

Have they made promises they couldn't keep? Nope.

Do they continue to improve the product and provide those improvements
at zero cost? Yes.

Do they have a history of proven products and service? You bet.

I am not affiliated in any way with GRT. But I am very satisfied so far
and I haven't seen mention of their products in this thread. And yes,
I am biased. I could give you change for my 2cts.

Walter Tondu
http://rv7-a.com

Walter:

Tell us more. Why did you choose Grand Rapids. What's the price? What cool features led to your decision etc.

You're right. I haven't heard anything bad about them and, speaking for me, they'd be in the mix.

Hey Bob,

Just a suggestion, but since you are in the twin cities, as I am, I suggest you call Steinair. They had, and may still have a GRT system in the shop in a panel they are building. It was awesome, and I think you might enjoy the chance to see/touch/feel the unit and discuss prices.

Stein is located at the Jensen Airfield, easily reached from the TC.

I would like to add a vote for my Dynon D10A. I love it- it can keep up with my aileron rolls and wifferdills. I can read it with my bifocal sunglasses so I don't know what those complaints are all about. With the Stein Air (sp?) wiring harness it was an easy install. I haven't flown any of the competing EFIS products so ignorance may be bliss. Steve in Corsicana

$$$

Bob Collins said:
Walter:

Tell us more. Why did you choose Grand Rapids. What's the price? What cool features led to your decision etc.

You're right. I haven't heard anything bad about them and, speaking for me, they'd be in the mix.

$5995 from their website. They do have a lot of cool features. I just can't afford that.

$$$

svanarts said:
$5995 from their website. They do have a lot of cool features. I just can't afford that.

They have a Sport model coming out (should be about now) for $2795. Not much more than a Dynon but has a 7" display.

-Dave

Dynon Rocks! I ordered a D10 & D10A pkg on 4/18. It came in today 5/24.
I now have all my instruments except radio & transponder. I can start cutting holes!

Derrell

Last message from BM's Sheila

Glen, since I don't work on Saturday or Sunday, I just got you email
this
morning (Monday, May 23rd 9:30 AM). I am sorry for the delay in
getting
your unit out to you but it is hard to adjust shipping when commitments
were made during my absence. We will send a refund check to you today.

Shelia

Received the above from Sheila. Now lemme see, it took almost 6 months of promises to get this far, soooo, I'll have my check, when, maybe by Christmas I guess. Gawd I hope I do not have to call my attorny.
Any ideas out there about maybe them owing me interest? What says you all?
Glen

Sorry for the whining guys, but here is how I feel (venting)

Just sent to BM in a moment of severe frustration..I know, I know, spare me the flaming, just take heed if you want to throw money at BM. ( Oh BTW, the Efis one att. ind.is not fluid at all as compared to say,.... ALL OTHERS! .. Steps pretty good when the grahiics are loaded up, ie, terrain, hsi ..etc...

Sheila....

No promises were made Sheila in your absence. I
just decided that exactly 5 months after my deposit (3
months late on delivery) was sent, I have no unit,
others were receiving units ordered after me, you
personally promised me and wrote down my name as I
watched you deliver a unit to a customer...Then said
for SURE my unit was to go out "next week",(after Sun
N Fun). Then...
I had to write twice and call 3 times to get simple
wireing questions answered re. my friend's $19,000
Efis 1(Plans were very inconclusive in this area, and
non existant concerning the $1500 wireing harnesses
provided by BM ).
Oh, did I fail to mention how you (Blue Mountain)
were and still are 3 weeks late delivering Jim's
autopilot cables(re. above Efis 1) and holding up our
wing installation?

All said, sorry girl, I have had enough. Can you
blame me and the MANY others who have done this? I
can only hope the check you have promised is to be
deliverd by somebody other that who delivers the units
to your customers.
PS, I am CC to the Vans Airforce Glass Cockpit
forum section. Just my little whining has at last
count, 5 soon to be BM buyers to go elsewhere. Come
on, talk to your owner and either tell the real story
or shut down operations until you can deliver. BM's
reputation prepurchase-wise any way,is quickly heading down the toilet.
Glen :mad: :mad: :mad:

Last edited:
Vendor Bashing

Ok, I think everyone knows how you feel about BM. It is great that you are getting your money back.

Just my opinion, but you seem really bitter and vindictive and I think you are above that. I understand your disappointment and anger, but to carry on and on in a public forum is, in my opinion, not cool and not flattering to you.

From what I have read, seen, and heard, BM has a good product and it appears to be pretty hot. They wouldn't be the first vendor to have start up issues and delivery issues on a good product. Better to be hot and slow on delivery than to have the units setting around for next day delivery due to issues. Be grateful you haven't put a big deposit on a turbine or diesel.

Good luck to you, I hope it all works out. I hope you will consider letting this one settle.

Take care!

Flattering myself...haha

Yep, well I lost the worry about flattering myself and educating the buying public umteen promises ago. Ya know it really is not so much that I have to wait, hell, that is not a problem for me. Lies, and other individuals taking delivery BEFOR ME IS a problem for me. You guys should see some of the BM hate PM's I am getting. Wow, I sure am not alone.
I am merely trying (rather vocally and emotionally granted), to excercise my first ammendment right and allowing capitolism to take it's course.
Also, I am not holding me breath waiting for the check either. Why would this promise be kept and all others disregarded? We'll see.

Glen

PS, Vindictive is a pretty strong word, I prefer to say educating the public. Sueing them if I do not get a refund this week, now THAT is vindictive....HHHmm, not a bad idea!

Tom Maxwell said:
Ok, I think everyone knows how you feel about BM. It is great that you are getting your money back.

Just my opinion, but you seem really bitter and vindictive and I think you are above that. I understand your disappointment and anger, but to carry on and on in a public forum is, in my opinion, not cool and not flattering to you.

From what I have read, seen, and heard, BM has a good product and it appears to be pretty hot. They wouldn't be the first vendor to have start up issues and delivery issues on a good product. Better to be hot and slow on delivery than to have the units setting around for next day delivery due to issues. Be grateful you haven't put a big deposit on a turbine or diesel.

Good luck to you, I hope it all works out. I hope you will consider letting this one settle.

Take care!

I have a friend who must be sailing around the world as he said he would, I can't get a hold of him.

He was an exec. vice pres. or exec head of some dept.-- Northrup FA-18.

I remember one time moaning about vendors not supplying on time and he said, "Why don't you put it in your contract, (like we do ) where if it's not delivered within a certain period it's discounted 10 percent, and if it's not delivered by the such and such it's discounted again and if it's...."

oh brother, thanks Nick.

We'd all have FREE AIRCRAFT with a few bits and pieces that made it on time.

Hmmmm

Stating the issue and your opinion once might be considered educating the public. But continued post after post with all the detail of your emails goes beyond educating. In my opinion it actually weakens your position.

I think if you examine your motives you will find that your intent has gone past the point of educating. It has reached the point of vendor bashing. Be careful or carry a big lawyer.

I think everyone has gotten your point. You don't like BM and do not recommend them to anyone and there are others that support your position. On the other hand, I am willing to bet good money that BM can line up an equal number of more customers who like the product and would vouch for BM.

As I said before, start up and delivery issues for new products, especially good ones is not unusual, especially in an infant and relatively small industry such as glass cockpits. Startup companies like these often go through growing pains. They are started by someone, typically technical, and then they rapidly outgrow themselves. Marketing, distribution, and delivery issues are really not uncommon. It doesn't make the pain any easier and I am not making excuses for poor customer service but issues do occur. I am sorry for you and for your situation. Perhaps a more established company such as Chilton can deliver more quickly. Put then I think the Chilton systems are about twice the price as the BM. Whichever way you go, I wish you all the best and hope your experience with your next vendor is a better one.

Good luck!

Great Philosophy

Great idea! The only problem is that we have to find a supplier who is willing to enter into such a contract. Military contracts are a whole other world. Really big bucks, cost over-runs, design changes, give what they order the first time and then give them what they need on the second contract, etc. No disrespect intended but I don't think it is an apples to apples to comparison. Besides they would just jack up the prices to cover any potential rebates. They know what they want to make on each unit and no matter how you package it, they are going to price it accordingly.

Tom Maxwell said:
Be careful or carry a big lawyer.

Unless they moved the borders without telling me, it's still America. If the guy wants to vent, let him vent. Truth is considered a perfect defense in any libel action, so the lawyers can't say squat about it. So far all he's said is that they told him over and over that his item would ship, and it never did. Your point about difficulties with a new startup are valid, but in this particular case the delays have been WAY out of line. I'd agree that any educational element disappeared long ago, but I still feel the guy's pain.

Steve Zicree

Tom Maxwell said:
Startup companies like these ....are started by someone, typically technical, and then they rapidly outgrow themselves. Marketing, distribution, and delivery issues are really not uncommon.

amen, brother. it's interesting to watch the 3 companies (Dynon, GRT & BM). they all are very similar (started by techs around the same time; similar product, same market)...yet the trends are already quite clear.

law of averages says one will dominate, one will be a niche player and one won't survive

if Chelton drops price to $6500 or Garmin decides to play, one of these companies could disappear overnight.

Bob Collins said:
Walter:

Where to start.

Sunlight Readable - I had the units in the bright midday sun last weekend and you can read the displays very very well. Plus the screens are considerably larger than the Dynon.

Interdisplay Communication - Change the barometric pressure, heading, display brightness or a whole host of other items and the other displays show the changes immediately.

Ability to Split screen any combination of Attitude indicator, Nav screen, and Engine monitor. This is very handy if you have two displays and one goes TU.

Seamless integration of graphical and digital Engine monitoring via their proven EIS4000 product.

Ease of integration with today's most popular avionics: Garmin 430, 480, 330, 327, SL30, Trutrak AP. Sure is nice to display traffic information on screen...

Easy software updates, just plug in the USB flashdrive.

Flight recorder with the ability to playback your flight and see all parameters.

Great customer service and they don't promise what they can't deliver. The product continues to be enhanced and all those enhancements are free.

Plus, I still have not heard of a single valid complaint about this product.

Now I'm not saying that the other EFIS choices are better or worse because I don't have those units in front of me to compare. But I'm pretty pleased at what I do have sitting in front of me. I've flown with Dan and he has the Dynon. My opinion of this unit is that it's too small to be used for IFR. It's a bit difficult to read. I've met with the fine folks at BMA twice at Oshkosh. I was not impressed with either the displays or their people, and that is definitely a personal opinion.

Now that the prosecution rests, my closing arguments.

Closing arguments in military bullet statement style:

---BM had my 1550 bucks for almost a half a yaer with no interest or product.
---Lies,lies,lies..yada yada, many other deliveries were made to others way AFTER I put in my money. Great business practices huh? Some will argue that (BM included) those who put down 100% get delivered first. Well then, why did Sheila tell me that 100% was not necissary when I offered it during my first phone call to her when I ordered the unit?
---This is my thread and I can whine if I want to.
---I (unlike BM) have told only the truth to the best of my recollection.
---First ammendment applies and nobody can be sued for telling the truth, well ....not yet at least.
---My panel is now bare, since all of my instruments have been sold and the buyers want their product. I do not want to be another BM and not deliver a product that was promised.
---My plane is grounded (possible rights violation? haha Comments anyone? haha ) Remember the promise made to me right after Sun N Fun? I planned on that and now do not have a plane to fly until I figure out AND GET my next flight instruments(airspeed, Alti, etc...)
---I have the GRT 4000 monitor as a side note and LOVE that company and personell, they have gone way above and beyond and Greg is awsome! I just wish their glass was cheaper.
---IMHO, if anyone reading the above comments, both mine and others,and sends $1500 or more for the hope of receiving an awsome glass panel setup, well, they are more irrational and immature than I am being accused of.
Glen

Bull

Tom Maxwell said:
As I said before, start up and delivery issues for new products, especially good ones is not unusual, especially in an infant and relatively small industry such as glass cockpits. Startup companies like these often go through growing pains. They are started by someone, typically technical, and then they rapidly outgrow themselves. Marketing, distribution, and delivery issues are really not uncommon. It doesn't make the pain any easier and I am not making excuses for poor customer service but issues do occur. I am sorry for you and for your situation. Perhaps a more established company such as Chilton can deliver more quickly. QUOTE]

Maybe you should rephrase that as a more ethical company such as Chelton seeing how Chelton is barely older than BMA. The startup company stuff doesn't fly as they have been around for at least 5 years and have a fair amount of experience in the industry. Scary thing is they have been at the fore front of the experimental side. Glad to see companies like Dynon, GRT, and even Chelton are cleaning things up a bit. And as far as it being a new product, hardly. As they love pointing out this is the third generation of the technology. Only thing different is the packaging. Let's face facts, they are probably floating orders to help fund the company. It's not illegal but not very nice either. My advice is to speak with your checkbooks.

Chelton = BMA???

Dave Johnson said:
Maybe you should rephrase that as a more ethical company such as Chelton seeing how Chelton is barely older than BMA.

Chelton's website: said:
Chelton Flight Systems is part of the Chelton Group, a US subsidiary of Cobham plc, a publicly traded $2 billion international aerospace, flight operations, precision engineering and avionics company based in the UK.

For more than fifty years, Chelton has been a respected name in the aerospace industry. The products of our manufacturing companies have become known throughout the world for their quality and reliability on military, commercial and general aviation aircraft. Worldwide, there are more than thirty aerospace companies in the Chelton Group, with nearly a dozen in North America.

I don't see how 50 years is "barely older" than 5 years. And BMA is definitely not a publicly traded $2 billion operation like Chelton. So I really don't understand how you can compare them.

PJ

Doa

Chelton is barely older than BMA
Chelton is part of a large UK company with a long history in avionics.

Dave's point is still valid. Dynon, GRT and BMA are all virtually the same size and same age. Even so, this horse race is already over unless something changes drastically.

Being long involved in tech startups, the signs of success and failure are like beacons in the fog and they are very reliable. I can't predict which one will be the dominant player but I can guarantee which one of these companies will not survive as is.

Dynon vs GRT vs BMA vs ???

Well, I for one am watching this horse race with great interest. I figure I'm at least 3 years from buying my avionics, and I plan to put it off as long as possible, so it will be interesting to see what the avionics landscape looks like in June 2008.
Don

Last edited:
Wasn't always Chelton

PJSeipel said:
I don't see how 50 years is "barely older" than 5 years. And BMA is definitely not a publicly traded $2 billion operation like Chelton. So I really don't understand how you can compare them.

PJ

Should have clarified that. I was refering to the original company that developed the EFIS and was baught by Chelton a couple years back. My mistake.

If memory serves that particular EFIS system was developed by Sierra flight systems before being bought by Chelton

Back