What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wheel balancer

X2 on the Harbor Freight unit. I did replace the shaft with some left over 4130 tubing because the original shaft was not completely straight but works very well. Just make sure that the cones are properly up against the bearing.

X2 on the Harbor Freight unit. I did replace the shaft with some left over 4130 tubing because the original shaft was not completely straight but works very well. Just make sure that the cones are properly up against the bearing.
I bought one from Amazon that looks like HF. As well my shaft wasn't straight and had to be replaced. And, the bearings felt like they had sand in them and were replaced. One cone was offset and had a machine shop fix it. In short, junk.

Marc’s balancer is a precision machined work of art. I keep it on the shelf in my office.
I bought the HF one first too and it was junk. Don’t even waste your time with it.

Another Plus 1 for HF balancer. I used it for both of my RVs and it worked fine , the wheel was balanced and the weight never came off so what else can one expect.

Posting this to multiple balance threads so people don't go on the wild goose chase I just did:

Harbor Freight/Amazon cones (1 1/8") no longer fit the either with bearings (not best option) or even close to bearing races. According to another VAF'r if you purchase the "DC42 Parts" from here (http://www.marcparnes.com/Ducati_Motorcycle_Wheel_Balancer.htm#DU42) for $50 shipped you'll be able to use the $50 balancer. $100.

Another option which I wish I had seen before assembling the HF one is from Desser, $100 for a bubble balancer style desktop unit that doesn't have bearings that will rust out. (https://shop.desser.com/desser-ga-05dt-static-tire/wheel-a-ga-05/ecomm-product-detail/324692/). Another bonus is you don't have to pull out bearings to get a decent balance like you do with the HF type.

YMMV, hopefully not as many miles as I had.

Back