What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Evacuating the Shop

David Paule

Well Known Member
Yesterday, I received an evacuation order due to a new wildfire in the vicinity. I shut everything down and left.

Thinking about it after the all-clear was called for my area, I realized that I'd left a potential hazard: the air compressor was topped off. Even with it shut off, the 60 gallon tank has a lot of residual energy. I figured it out once and it worked out to about 1/8 of a stick of TNT. My worry is that if the fire had gotten to the shop, and fire fighters were there, that could have exploded and caused injuries or even deaths.

It would not be hard to drain it. Disconnect the outlet hose and open the valve, and then it would have been safe. Something else to add to your list.

Dave

Yesterday, I received an evacuation order due to a new wildfire in the vicinity. I shut everything down and left.

Thinking about it after the all-clear was called for my area, I realized that I'd left a potential hazard: the air compressor was topped off. Even with it shut off, the 60 gallon tank has a lot of residual energy. I figured it out once and it worked out to about 1/8 of a stick of TNT. My worry is that if the fire had gotten to the shop, and fire fighters were there, that could have exploded and caused injuries or even deaths.

It would not be hard to drain it. Disconnect the outlet hose and open the valve, and then it would have been safe. Something else to add to your list.

Dave
That’s no joke about the potential danger of a full compressor tank blowing. Years ago I had an old 20 compressor running in my garage as I was doing some mechanic work on my tractor. I kept it under the workbench on the back wall. Unknown to me was that the pressure switch stuck closed and the pressure relief valve failed. By the time I thought to myself that the compressor should have shut off, a welded seam blew. The explosion blew out about 30% of the back garage wall, blew the work bench up, the compressor motor separated from the tank mount and went sailing across the garage. Neighbors came running. Fortunately I was not injured by flying debris. I now have a commercial 80 gallon in the shop and pay close attention to water drainage and test the relief valve every so often to ensure it operates freely.

Compressor

Wow, Dave. I hope you're ok. Always welcome in our home.
Scarry. When we were evacuated, I didn't think about the compressor tank either. I did ask about the propane tanks and was told to leave them outside away from structures.

That was a scarry day. Dark like a full moon night and red. Ash in the air. I knew the evac order was imminent because a neighbor is a fireman. I spent the previous day literally throwing anything that would fit in our truck and trailer. I almost lost the engine. It was on a cherry picker and when it hit the sloped driveway, it took off. Thankfully the trailer was there and stopped the lift. 300lbs of engine swinging. We were poorly prepared.

For everyone...
Prepare ahead of time. It's personal to each, but easy to make a list. Keep an evac bag ready. Keep the vehicle stocked with emergency stuff. Prep the house. Most people don't think about all their personal stuff. Just walk around the house. What will you save? Builder Log? Data on the computer? I keep everything scanned and backed up on four hard drives. One goes with me. One on our network. One in the fire safe. One is 1,000 miles away with a grandson. I update it twice a year. It took me an entire Summer to scan all our family photos. Some are Father-in-Law WW2 photos. Take pictures of everything of value for insurance. Check coverages. We had to add a rider policy for some stuff. We were crying as we left looking at a house full if irreplaceable stuff. Yes, I know, it's just stuff, but it's 36 years of our life. I built all the furniture. It's heartbreaking to think about.

Last edited:
Actually the compressor most likely wasn't a hazard. Compressors have a safety blow-off valve which would vent excess pressure before the tank got to a critical pressure level. And the tank is filled with air, a good insulator, so even if the tank were suddenly surrounded with heavy fire, it's still unlikely the pressure would rise faster than the blow-off valve can handle.

A far more dangerous thing would be a propane tank, knowing you live in a (cold) winter climate. And solvent cans. And the avgas in your airplane.

I lived here since '81 and this year was the first time fires got anywhere near me. And 2013 was the first time my house got flooded. Climate change? Yep, it's happening.

I had thought while safely away from the house, that the RV-3B project in the garage was not insured. That did not comfort me.

Dave

I always always shut off compressor and drain the water after any work, even leave the drain valve cracked open, be it my garage, basement or hangar. I have a few of them all around.

As a volunteer FF in a rural area, our biggest concerns around a burning shop are the propane tanks, the jugs of fuel/solvents/paints and ammo/propellants. Some of it blows and some of it's just plain nasty to be around.

Consider a solvent cabinet in your shop. Good fire safety and we all know what's in there!

Cheers

Solvents

As a volunteer FF in a rural area, our biggest concerns around a burning shop are the propane tanks, the jugs of fuel/solvents/paints and ammo/propellants. Some of it blows and some of it's just plain nasty to be around.

Consider a solvent cabinet in your shop. Good fire safety and we all know what's in there!

Cheers

Another one I didnt consider. Good idea.
What about paint products?
What about ammo and reloading supplies?

Back