What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ground point for fueling?

jsisk

Does Van's call out an airframe ground point to use when fueling? If not, what are you using?

I note that the line guys at my home airport always use my exhaust pipe, so that's what I do on the rare occasion that I ever fuel my airplane myself.

Does Van's call out an airframe ground point to use when fueling? If not, what are you using?
I don’t think Van’s addresses it, but anything metal that’s electrically connected to the fuel tank(s) works. Most people use the exhaust stack, but if you (or the line crew) ever forget to unhook before engine start…. A better place is the wing tie-down ring, assuming you have them installed.

Last edited:
On my RV7A I use to ground to the exhaust pipes but I read somewhere (unfortunately can’t remember where) the best place to attach the ground wire is to the tie down ring. Since I don’t keep my wing tie down rings in place but stored away in a kit bag, I decided to use the tail tie down ring which is both unpainted and always readily available and visible. It’s also a little less of a bend over to reach.

PS. I always refuel my own aircraft because I’m more than a little concerned about a young line person not paying attention to what they’re doing. Seen too many distracted or rushed youngsters do dumb things in life (including my younger self) because of inattention. That’s not to say us old farts are any better but I’d rather swear myself out than another for damage to my airplane.

Tie down or exhaust pipe.
I typically go for self-serve fuel because who wants to pay Full-serve price? That said at KSPB where I often fill up, the line guys or gals do a lot of RVs so they know the quirks, plus they're e more familiar with their pump and nozzle and so are better at keeping gas from dribbling (or gushing) all over my wing like I have been known to do. In fact the only damage ever done was by me when the nozzle slipped in my hand once. I do always look over their shoulder, mainly to ensure it's filled to the tab so my fuel computer will be accurate, and I remove and replace the gas caps so I know that that's done!

Last edited:
I found that some ground clamps won't contact the thin metal of the exhaust well enough to hold reliably. In the past I would take a key and clamp it on the pipe to give adequate clamping force. Then I found that the fuel drain on the wing provides an ideal clamping location for the ground and always works (so far). YMMV

-Marc

Ummm….. no

Hey Marc, I’m not an expert in static electricity, but the whole idea of grounding is so that we don’t induce a spark near the highly explosive gasoline stuff. I’m thinking that hooking up the ground clamp to the fuel drain is kinda asking for trouble the 1st time a spark jumps from ground to the fuel drain. It’s not just the flow of fuel thru the hose that imparts a static charge. The plane could be juiced up electrically BEFORE attaching the ground.

PLEASE DON'T DO THIS!!!!!!!!

I found that some ground clamps won't contact the thin metal of the exhaust well enough to hold reliably. In the past I would take a key and clamp it on the pipe to give adequate clamping force. Then I found that the fuel drain on the wing provides an ideal clamping location for the ground and always works (so far). YMMV
-Marc

Do NOT use the fuel drain for electrical grounding. Doing so is asking for a rather large insurance claim that will likely be denied.

Back