What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

DIY painting respirator

PaulvS

Well Known Member
I'm painting my RV using 2-pack polyurethane and want to keep the solvents and isocyanates out of my eyes and respiratory system. A hobbyair full face respirator would cost around $1000 AUD delivered, whereas this homebuilt experimental alternative cost $75 using an eBay face mask and irrigation pipe and fittings.
My first attempt used a shop vac output for the blower and it was too much and blew the mask off my face. This smaller blower for inflating air beds is much better and delivers just the right amount of air. The blower is located in clean air, well away from the paint fumes.

Let's stay safe and healthy!

Attachments

• 20220212_074058.jpg
    20220212_074058.jpg
    348.7 KB · Views: 187
  • 20220212_074135.jpg
    20220212_074135.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 170
Virtually the same as a hobby air.
I have the Hobby Air for two operators and dual 100' hoses. We used them in houses painting trim.
But, your system looks good. Fresh air is all you need.
Art

A good fan for this application is a bathroom vent fan.

I did try a 10 inch bathroom exhaust fan that I had laying around but the pressure was too low to push the air through the hose (high volume low pressure) so do you perhaps mean one of the smaller 4 inch type extractor fans that sits inline in a narrow duct? I looked up the power rating of a couple of those and it is only 14 watts, whereas the airbed inflator is 140 watts (and the shop vac is 1200 watts). I'm not concerned about filtration because the pump intake is in clean fresh air, same as what I breathe standing beside the pump.

Last edited:
I did try a 10 inch bathroom exhaust fan that I had laying around but the pressure was too low to push the air through the hose (high volume low pressure) so do you perhaps mean one of the smaller 4 inch type extractor fans that sits inline in a narrow duct? I looked up the power rating of a couple of those and it is only 14 watts, whereas the airbed inflator is 140 watts (and the shop vac is 1200 watts). I'm not concerned about filtration because the pump intake is in clean fresh air, same as what I breathe standing beside the pump.

I used an AC fan that was rated at something like 50 CFM. It was designed to feed into 3" or 4" exhaust piping, but I used a dixie cup and some fiberglass cloth to neck it down to 1 1/4 or 1 1/2" flexible hose. Looking online, similar fans pull about 50 watts from a 120V source.

Do you have a link to the face mask..thx?

Hi Paul

Looks great..I need to do the same!

Do you have a link to the face mask? Had a look on ebay and couldn't find one with an inlet like that.

Thanks!

Face mask

Hi Adrian,
Here is a link to the type of face mask that I used, which is a generic clone of a 3M "6800" face mask:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/143603370325

I modified the mask by drilling out one of the filter mounts and inserting a right angled irrigation fitting. The fitting is pinned on the inside of the mask through a washer (that is made from aircraft grade aluminium!)

Pic attached of the type of 19mm (3/4") fitting and how it is attached on the inside after cutting off the barb. The "pin" is 3/32" whipper snipper line trimmer line.

Cheers
Paul

Attachments

• 20220213_145211.jpg
    20220213_145211.jpg
    577.5 KB · Views: 88
  • 20220213_145245.jpg
    20220213_145245.jpg
    384.2 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Great idea, Paul, thanks for sharing. Where did you get the long tubing? I have all the irrigation fittings in the shed but not familiar with that.

Jack

C'mon guys, 70k -120k to build a plane to play games with your health at the end.

Why do you think the health risk is any different between a $400-$1000 system you buy from a store and a nearly identical setup you build yourself for <$100?

Both supply fresh air to a mask. It isn't rocket science.

Sometimes I have to wear one for work, not painting but hazardous gasses and byproducts.
Just different perspectives I guess. To each there own. I was comfortable buying a used engine and propeller to keep my cost down, which some people are not. Didn't mean to step on anybodys toes. I'll just sink back into the shadows and watch like I usually do. Best of luck to everybody with their builds.

Bunnings

Great idea, Paul, thanks for sharing. Where did you get the long tubing? I have all the irrigation fittings in the shed but not familiar with that.

Jack

Hi Jack,
I see you are also in Australia, I got the hose from Bunnings Aerospace, link per below. I went for the premium version because it is more flexible than the standard version. The blower is from there too... Ozito.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/nylex-22mm-x-10m-premium-grey-water-chief-hose_p3430061

Cheers
Paul.

for a hose try a pool or spa store. their hose might be too big diameter for the attachment to your mask but it will make the run from the machine almost to your face.

Thanks, Paul. I couldn't work out what type of hose it was - makes sense now. We have two of those aerospace stores nearby!

Jack

Having used Hobby Air systems for many years, and before that used garden hose/facemask/scuba mask systems I can attest to the use of these.
Being in business you get a different perspective having employees that have to use the equipment.
L & I doesn't take to kindly to you damaging your employees with bad air.
After a bunch of research, I decided to stop using garden hoses and such for supply air and went with the 1" food safe breathable supply hose products Hobby Air sells.
Maybe you don't get the plastic vapors from it, I don't know. I felt a 1" garden hose worked pretty well. As long as it isn't brand new.
I felt I had to to reduce liability for employees.
The breathable air hoses are clear 1" x 50 foot and have garden hose type connectors. Oh by the way they are not as flexible as I would like either.
As far as the pump, it only has to be in clear free air outside of the contamination zone. Just restrict the flow to what ever you want.
You're going down a road I've been on for 40 years.
Art

Back