What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Any RV folks at HWD?

jtpt

I'm New Here
Hey folks, I'm interested in getting an RV and was curious of there's any VAF folks at Hayward. I'd love to chat about your experience with getting maintenance done at the field, condition inspections, etc.
Cheers,
Jack

LOTS of RVs in Livermore flying and being built (I'd guess at least 20 total all types), close enough all things considered. We also have a strong EAA Chapter you can join, we have folks come in from all over the Bay Area for meetings and have them on Zoom as well. As far as A&P and maint needs I wouldn't pin yourself down to only what is on the field as your options. I do most of my own maint and upgrade work (not the builder, but have plenty of time with wrenches and wire cutters in hand). For the complex tasks such as rigging, major engine work, etc. I reach out to the EAA Chapter and can usually get a volunteer to help, or pointed to the right person/A&P to get the job done. So far I've only farmed out tire changes since owning the RV-6A (I know so simple of a task, I got flats away from home and had nothing on me to do it right. Feel free to PM me is you want more info or just want to chat about my experience. Recently went from the certified world and in EAB and I can tell you I won't go back unless I win the lottery and can afford a PC12 to haul friends around... :)

EAA chapter 20 covers PAO and SQL. We have 7 RVs at PAO that I know of, and probably more than that at SQL.

Oakland

Don’t forget Andrew Kilroy, building an RV14a in Oakland. Has a YouTube channel and is very good about discussing his build. Bay Area has a good representation of RV’s, even for us folks in Planet Marin at Gnoss (KDVO) and Petaluma (O69) have a variety. And, as mentioned, Livermore has many, in all stages. :)

Don’t forget Andrew Kilroy, building an RV14a in Oakland. Has a YouTube channel and is very good about discussing his build. Bay Area has a good representation of RV’s, even for us folks in Planet Marin at Gnoss (KDVO) and Petaluma (O69) have a variety. And, as mentioned, Livermore has many, in all stages. :)

:D I know of at least a few RV 7s here at OAK. Honestly though you never know what you're going to find inside one of these hangars out here:

Attachments

• vwwithwings.jpeg
    vwwithwings.jpeg
    483.9 KB · Views: 70
Back