What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Service Documents released on 1/23/2023

I built my RV-12 between 2013 and 2016. My KAI makes no mention of trimming balance weights or balancing the horizontal tail. I have flown it with the weights as delivered for 6 years and 424 hours. I taught aircraft stability and control in college for many years and understand balancing, but I have no complaints about mine as is. I can't help feeling this balancing process is not really necessary. I have the SB parts but am still undecided about how to accomplish it.

Usually control surface balance is done to prevent flutter at high speeds. A balanced stabilator will hold its position when raised or lowered. If it is not balanced the surface rock following the vertical movement of the airplane.

Mine was out of balance by a lot and after balancing I could not feel a difference but the autopilot does hold altitude better now.

No, not planned.

I guess i should have noticed this post before ordering. Why can’t the new fuel tank inspection fitting be used in the 12iS tank? I don’t know how difficult it is to inspect a legacy tank but the iS tank is a real PIA to inspect that fuel strainer.

Since I had asked the question, I obviously share your concern on this topic. I reached out to Van’s Support and asked the question of them too and got “no, not at this time”, which likely means NO. I asked them to check how their technicians perform this on their fleet and they were kind enough to ask. They said they get a borescope down there through the filler neck to inspect. Didn’t ask how they would clean. I had tried both of the ones I have but one was too flexible and the other too thick and stiff to get around the tank baffles. I was going to do like you and install the SL-00070 mod on my iS until a friend with an iS showed me the semi-flexible borescope he has that works for him. So I’ve ordered one and will see if I can get that to work for me too before going the more invasive route. It will likely be several weeks before I can try, so if you’ve got one, you might give this approach a try first.

I’ve been trying to figure out how the latch can be turned too far.. I finished my 12 in 2012. It has a hook that engages the latch handle, and it seems impossible to go beyond the hook. Can anybody explain what the issue is?

They said they get a borescope down there through the filler neck to inspect.

I've attempted to do the borescope as well (with the tank full to prevent any possible ignition).. but I found that I had a hard time maneuvering the scope around the baffles inside the tank.

Can you share which scope your buddy had success with?

Can you share which scope your buddy had success with?

If you do a search for WF010 on Amazon you’ll find a number of variants. Sorry for the blurry photo.

Attachments

• 6B46F215-4BC6-48F6-8084-2C8715D1E0F6.jpg
    6B46F215-4BC6-48F6-8084-2C8715D1E0F6.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 86
  • BB3AD4F5-6110-4981-80BB-30AAF553F9A3.jpg
    BB3AD4F5-6110-4981-80BB-30AAF553F9A3.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 56
I have one of those and they are handy. I haven’t tried to get it down the filler tube. The problem is you can bend them into a shape but then you need them to bend into some other orientations to get around other stuff ( which they can’t do)

I’ve been trying to figure out how the latch can be turned too far.. I finished my 12 in 2012. It has a hook that engages the latch handle, and it seems impossible to go beyond the hook. Can anybody explain what the issue is?

Me too. Same set up and can’t see how its possible. Was there a change at some stage?

Jack

Me too. Same set up and can’t see how its possible. Was there a change at some stage?

Jack

The placement part in the Service Bulletin is used only to replace the specific potentially-problematic part number listed in the SB. If you have a different block part number in your airplane, the SB doesn't apply. The best thing to do is to determine which part you have. On an original RV-12, if you have not installed the SL 17-12-08 canopy latch upgrade, the new block doesn't apply to you. If you have SL 17-12-08 installed, you do need to replace the block. You can read that service letter and view the drawings toward the end to help determine which you have installed.

Last edited:
Pictures to clarify...

Attachments

• IMG_1346.jpg
    IMG_1346.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_3269.jpeg
    IMG_3269.jpeg
    431.9 KB · Views: 185
Thanks, Greg! BTW, I have always wondered why Vans didn’t put a canopy lock just below the canopy skirt. I bought a desk drawer lock and installed it through the fuselage skin. I cut a notch in the canopy frame and a kook on the lock tongue so that when the locking tongue rotates upward it hooks the canopy frame. Simple and effective. I’d like to claim authorship for the mod, but I read about it here on an old post.

Regarding the posts related to inspection of the finger strainer in the iS fuel tank using a DEPSTECH borescope… I was finally able to try mine this morning - with NO success. Not sure how my friend or Van’s is able to maneuver theirs to the proper orientation. During my next CI, I now intend to install the SB-00070 inspection fitting called out for the ULS. And while I’m at it, I may just add a second oriented front-to-back, as if debris is found, I don’t see any way to remove it since the one fitting, which only uses a 3/8” plug, will be filled by the borescope. The second one would give me the chance to insert tape, sticky side out, on a grabber tool to try and extract it. At least that’s my plan now.

Back