- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 07-26-2022, 11:25 PM

Default aircraft tool suppy ?

Its time for me to get my tools, kits on their way.

Are Aircraft-Tool Supply tools good, or should I think of them as the HF of aviation?

They have some stand out pricing deals during Osh.

Thanks
Old 07-27-2022, 01:21 AM

I've ordered from them several time. I'm pleased with their pricing and prompt shipping. They are on my approved supplier list.
Old 07-27-2022, 01:39 AM

I've had mixed success. A couple of tools that would seem like a no brainer turned out to be rather poor. Others, I am quite happy and satisfied with.
IO-360 A1A
WW 200RV
"The Magic Carpet" Flying since Sept. 2009
Hobbs 700
also
1/4 share in 1959 C-182B (tow plane)
LS6-15/18W sailplane SOLD
bought my old LS6-A back!!
VAF donation Dec 2021
Old 07-27-2022, 04:45 AM

Default Come visit me at 8A7 Twin Lakes airport

John, you are fairly close to me at 8A7, and I have an RV-4 that I built, my next door neighbor has built an -8 and a-7. We may be able to show you what you need , and recommend various options. I am also in Moorsville occasionally at Miller Airpark or on Lake Norman. Lots of builders in the region, several RV's at 8A7 where I'm based.
Bill E. three three six-202-0574.
Old 07-27-2022, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johntwilcox View Post
Its time for me to get my tools, kits on their way.

Are Aircraft-Tool Supply tools good, or should I think of them as the HF of aviation?

They have some stand out pricing deals during Osh.

Thanks
Agree w/Steve - more like MAC than Snap-On. Rugged, get the job done, some fall short.
Old 07-27-2022, 05:57 AM

Default Great service!

Have only placed small orders through them but amazing service and good products. They have a huge range so some stuff seems on the cheaper side and others on the more solid side, like anywhere, do a bit of digging to find your balance between cheap and solid.

Can't fault the service. Particularly when compared with other suppliers. My experience may be different being overseas.
Old 07-27-2022, 12:30 PM

Default I wasn't thrilled

...With the few things I ordered. The tools worked as advertised but it was impossible to get questions answered as the help there didn't have basic mechanical knowledge. Overall I'd give them a "C" rating. At least on this site, Cleveland has a better reputation.

-Marc
Plus extra donation for someone who didn't
Old 07-27-2022, 05:57 PM

I have tools from Cleaveland, ATS, yard store and aircraft spruce as well as brown aviation tools. My take. CleAveland has the best dimple dies by a long shot, I bought my reamers, squeezer and many many hand tools off them. I have absolutely zero tools I want to give back to them. They sell quality. But the cost is higher. I bought second hand 3x rivet gun from yard and second hand cleco clamps plus few sacrificial tools (dimples dies to hack on) and some cleco pliers that I had to glue the vinyl handles back on as they slip off. Clecos….get this right….get both clecolok and kwik lok. Wedgelok no longer avail. I have 400 of each. Clecolok for undimpled holes and kwik lol for dimpled holes. Ask me how I know. Cleaveland has kwiklok now as they cannot supply wedgelok. Brown tool has some good prices on Sioux drills and I bought my 2x rivet gun new off them. Aircraft spruce sells pretty good gear and ATS good for some stuff but can have some average stuff. My pick. Cleaveland, aircraft spruce, brown, ATS and yard a tie.
Old 07-28-2022, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swift12 View Post
I have tools from Cleaveland, ATS, yard store and aircraft spruce as well as brown aviation tools. My take. CleAveland has the best dimple dies by a long shot, I bought my reamers, squeezer and many many hand tools off them. I have absolutely zero tools I want to give back to them. They sell quality. But the cost is higher. I bought second hand 3x rivet gun from yard and second hand cleco clamps plus few sacrificial tools (dimples dies to hack on) and some cleco pliers that I had to glue the vinyl handles back on as they slip off. Clecos….get this right….get both clecolok and kwik lok. Wedgelok no longer avail. I have 400 of each. Clecolok for undimpled holes and kwik lol for dimpled holes. Ask me how I know. Cleaveland has kwiklok now as they cannot supply wedgelok. Brown tool has some good prices on Sioux drills and I bought my 2x rivet gun new off them. Aircraft spruce sells pretty good gear and ATS good for some stuff but can have some average stuff. My pick. Cleaveland, aircraft spruce, brown, ATS and yard a tie.
I recently, within a year, bought wedgelock clecos. Not sure about the rules on posting links to non paid advertiser suppliers though. As I recall they were around $0.75 each
Old 07-28-2022, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swift12 View Post
I have tools from Cleaveland, ATS, yard store and aircraft spruce as well as brown aviation tools. My take. Cleaveland has the best dimple dies by a long shot....
Agreed. Of those, I'd put Cleaveland best for some things like the dies, Brown and The Yardstore both good for lots of things, ATS good for things the other stores might not carry, and Spruce handy for a few others.

I bought a Sioux drill this week from the Yardstore, same price as Brown and cheaper than the others, and free shipping. The Yardstore has always treated me very well indeed, and I'm just some guy.

Dave
P.S. The drill.... I had three, one borrowed. That one needed to be returned after a decade. My ancient Ingersol developed an annoying leak, so I ordered the Sioux.