What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bending the Flap Connecting Rod

Sully73

I have found that I can reduce the size of the hole in the fuselage if I bend the flap actuator rod 35 degrees. Has anyone done this? Would this be a safe thing to do?

PLEASE Do NOt Do This.........

I have found that I can reduce the size of the hole in the fuselage if I bend the flap actuator rod 35 degrees. Has anyone done this? Would this be a safe thing to do?

The flap push rods should NOT be bent. Flaps carry more load than any other control surface on the airplane. They are the only surfaces that are pushed down into the slipstream and held there.

Flap pushrods are in strict compression and any bending will seriously jeopardize their strength.

Last edited:
What Mel said,,
Enlarge the hole in the fuselage,, I had to extend the hole into the bottom skin as well. It doesn't sound or look pretty, but it's better than bending the already stressed push rods.

Last edited:
Has anyone had to remove material into the longeron to some degree in order to get the hole big enough?

The end rib

Being its really the end rib of the wing section carry-through, its not technically the longeron. The cut-out will be in the sideskin, bottom skin and end rib to be big enough to allow unrestricted travel. Its near impossible to layout and make a cut in one shot. Start small and get the flap rod hooked to the flap and actuator then move it, mark it, cut/trim it.. rinse and repeat until all is good. Start with one side, then make a paper rubbing/template to lay-out on the opposite side. it will go much quicker! Of course, there is the hole in the floor additionally that needs done in concert. I made interior close-outs that cover that area and the flap actuator to keep PAX junk from getting lost or jamming things, so I get no breeze or noise from the openings.

As advised by Mel do not bend the rods. The opening will need to be opened a little more for clearance. Here are my pics for a visual reference. Note: This is a -7 model.

20201205_100059.jpg 20201220_153558.jpg 20201220_153605.jpg 20201220_153647.jpg 20201220_153702.jpg

Back