What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How many builders in NYC?

What’s the hangar situation there in N Jersey? Might be looking for a place to keep my plane when it’s finished in 3-5 years.

Also thinking about starting a collective of builders where we could rent a space and turn it into a shop. I got lucky but I know others are struggling to find a build space.

Tir-state area

Gentlemen,
This could be a valuable resource. Englewood Cliffs, NJ is my location working on the QB RV8 in the garage. Have name on list a hanger at KCDW, 4N1 & Lincoln Park. No need for the hanger at this point as current access is terrific. Fly a Columbia out of KCDW presently.
Kojo

The situation in NJ for hangars sucks quite frankly. I have my plane based at KMGJ and drive an hour to get there. There are hangars available, and prices are not ridiculous like they are in NJ.

Not in NYC but in central NJ @ 39N (Princeton). About 90 minute drive to the city. Hangers become available from time-to-time and prices seem reasonable.

I'm out here in lower manhattan. Very interested in renting out a space + building or partial ownership

I'm in Bergen county too, just bought an emp kit from another builder so just starting.

The hangar situation is depressing. My 172 is hangared at N51, and in November-December when I tried looking for hangars anywhere within an hour of NYC this side of the Hudson, that was basically the only option. I'm on lists in a few airports, but all have basically said "don't count on it this year". Highlight is KCDW where I am number 163 (!!!) on the list for a T-hangar.

Alex, I’m building out on long island at my beach hideout, but would be interested in a shared space in the city. I’m upper east side. Have you scoped out any specific sites?

Gordon

Is there still interest in a shared work space?

I'm also in NYC (part-time) and starting a -9A build in my basement in RI. Eventually, I'll be in NYC full-time and plan to move my project there. I'd be interested in exploring shared workshop options with one or more folks for cost savings and mutual assistance. Looking into the ReadySpaces locations in Queens and North Bergen next week and wonder if anyone has researched this option before. Open to all suggestions.

I’m still banging rivets in Brooklyn. Will look at places in N Jersey as well as Brooklyn. I’m in for 400-500 a month if we can pool money it would be fun.

You might want to look into hangers at 47N. They recently built some but not sure if a an available. I am based at KMMU and not many hanger opportunities. A 14 on order…..long lead time!

You might want to look into hangers at 47N. They recently built some but not sure if a an available. I am based at KMMU and not many hanger opportunities. A 14 on order…..long lead time!

Just called them. They have a list.

Last edited:
I'm also in NYC (part-time) and starting a -9A build in my basement in RI. Eventually, I'll be in NYC full-time and plan to move my project there. I'd be interested in exploring shared workshop options with one or more folks for cost savings and mutual assistance. Looking into the ReadySpaces locations in Queens and North Bergen next week and wonder if anyone has researched this option before. Open to all suggestions.

I am in the best deal ever. I’m renting a corner of a wood shop. I’m paying 1/5 for what is advertised on commercial sites. I wish there was more room for others but I’m already creeping.

Update.

A hangar just opened up in Princeton. I will be moving in Jan-Feb. It has a back corner that will make a great workshop area.

Update.

A hangar just opened up in Princeton. I will be moving in Jan-Feb. It has a back corner that will make a great workshop area.

Congrats, I’m interested in getting a hangar there too. How long were you on the wait list? Do you think you could fit a high wing like a 182 in the hangar with your RV?

Congrats, I’m interested in getting a hangar there too. How long were you on the wait list? Do you think you could fit a high wing like a 182 in the hangar with your RV?

I don’t think my new hangar would fit two fully built airplanes. Once my wings go on I’m pretty sure it would be impossible.

I was on the list about 14 months.

I have given this some more thought and it might. What are your needs?

Oh I was just curious. I’m on the waiting list for a T hangar at Princeton and was wondering if I could store a low and high wing in the same hangar since I’m considering buying a 182 or other high wing to go with my RV-8 when it’s done in about a year.

Back