camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Go Back   VAF Forums > The Never Ending Debate Section > Tools
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2022, 11:31 AM

Default Sheet Metal Brake - recommendations

I've got a slow build with several user made parts on the plans from what I've seen so far. Right now I'm building the wings and there are two doublers on the rear spar that are a few inches wide and a few more inches long that I need to make.

I found the Rainbow Aviation site where they have a lot of 3D printed jigs to make perfect bend radii on the Harbor Freight 3-in-1 30" brake.

What size is most recommended? I've got access to a 60" sheer and brake through the Commemorative Air Force about 45 minutes away. But I'd really like to get something for the shop to make the bulk of the parts.

Is a 24" brake sufficient? I think I just found a Kaka W-2416Z nearby for a decent price. The Shop Fox 24" is another.

Too much weight is my initial hurdle followed by a place to store it. I could be convinced to spend more on a quality tool as long as we're not getting in to the $4K territory of the production-ready machines.

What's the best way to find one used?
Brookhaven, GA near KPDK
Dues paid through Sept 2023.
Old 11-30-2022, 11:52 AM

Take a look at Swag Offroad's 20 ton finger brake kit for a hydraulic press. They have a selection of dies available and I believe that it will take standard press brake die sections. It probably takes all of 30 seconds to put in the press and be ready to go. One less "big" tool to deal with, unless one is going to do lots of sheet metal work over the next few years.

I've never built any of their tool kits, but from what I've read, they have good stuff. For reference, here's a link to the press brake kit page:

https://www.swagoffroad.com/collecti...ess-brake-kits
Old 11-30-2022, 11:56 AM

Default HF brake

I have the 30" HF brake. It works just fine. I never needed much more than 12" of it.
I was always disappointed there is no bending part with a radius. I may check on those printed ones. Thx
Builder Blog: http://wirejockrv7a.blogspot.com
Donated 12/2022, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 11-30-2022, 12:38 PM

For those that have the standard Pexto style box and pan brake, Mittler Brothers has finger segments and they are available in various bending radii from 0 to 5/16". I couldn't buy the stock and grind my own for what they price them at.
https://www.mittlerbros.com/mittler-...e-fingers.html
Old 11-30-2022, 01:23 PM

the 30'' hf has worked fine for me. i have never needed more than 10'' of it. i bend radii by first determining proper radius and then contouring the proper thickness of bar stock with a bench grinder and belt sander. works perfect.
RV-12 kit as of 9/13
RV-12 airworthiness cert. 11/30/2021
first flight 7/25/2022
Old 11-30-2022, 02:07 PM

So it seems like 24" would do the trick. I could probably get away with a 12", but then I'd run across that one 14" that would make me wish for the 24".

That Swag looks interesting. I've already got a HF press at the hangar. I'll have to go measure it to see if it's at least 33".

Otherwise, I'm a HF club member, so I'll wait for the 15% off anything coupon unless I can snag this Kaka that is probably already gone at the price they were asking.
Brookhaven, GA near KPDK
Old 11-30-2022, 02:56 PM

Default Wicked long shot, but

Anyone recognize this make? Available pretty cheap but don't want a 100 mile round trip hassle is it's a POS.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	metal brake.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	34457  
Old 11-30-2022, 02:58 PM

I've gotten by for decades' worth of projects using an inexpensive 18-inch "mini" brake similar to this one. The only thing I changed was to radius the nose piece - otherwise it's been completely adequate for the sort of miscellaneous brackets and so forth need to build an RV. Especially if you have occasional access to a "big boy" finger brake, you probably won't need more than this thing 99% of the time:

Any opinions expressed in this message are my own and not those of my employer.
Old 11-30-2022, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemasm View Post
Anyone recognize this make? Available pretty cheap but don't want a 100 mile round trip hassle is it's a POS.

I've got that brake or a clone of it. It works great. Has a lot of adjustments so you can move the bar back to make room for shims to control the bend radius. I've used it for two -6's and my restoration projects. It would be well worth the trip.

1950 Navion - flying
RV-6 - first flight 5/6/2021
1940 Rearwin Cloudster project in progress
4 L-2 projects on deck
Old 11-30-2022, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburch View Post
I've gotten by for decades' worth of projects using an inexpensive 18-inch "mini" brake similar to this one. The only thing I changed was to radius the nose piece - otherwise it's been completely adequate for the sort of miscellaneous brackets and so forth need to build an RV. Especially if you have occasional access to a "big boy" finger brake, you probably won't need more than this thing 99% of the time:

How does that thing work? How do you create bend radiuses on it? I thought it was really just for air-conditioning duct, gutters, and things like that. And you can only bend something in one plane, right? Like a Z, but maybe not a U.

I've got 3D print templates for various thicknesses of 2024 that work on the HF 3-in-1 30". Would it be possible to do something similar with this?
Brookhaven, GA near KPDK