What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 cost vs RV-14?

JTWJR

I'm New Here
I am so wanting to build a RV and have been thinking about it and which one to buy for a while. I am bouncing between the 7 and the 14. I have read a lot about the differences, and it seems like a 14 is what I would prefer however when I start looking at the cost of the engines it pushes me towards the 7 as it looks like I can get a xp360 for about half the cost of the thunderbolt. I would go with a 180hp for the 7 but it looks like I would want the 390 thunderbolt for the 14.

It seems like the 390 experimental thunderbolt engine doesn't have the experimental price. When I am comparing prices I can get a Slow build 7 and an XP360 for almost the same price as the Thunderbolt 390 alone.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

360 vs 390

The price diff is about 9 k for the standard engine and 10k for the Thunderbolt apples to apples. You can use either in the 7 or 14. For a first-time builder the 14 is more straight forward.

I considered a 7A vs. 14A in 2014. Went with the 14 because the 14 was a more capable model (eg. size, cabin width, relatively easier to assemble, more robust-aerobatic capable). Go with a standard Lyc 360 or 390 instead of the Thunderbolt. T-bolt is small team built to blueprint specs, the others come down the line.

In very, very simple terms, the 14 is bigger, more roomy, easier to build, but more expensive:
- roughly $10k more for engine
- roughly $10k more for kit
- CS prop is almost a necessity - $0 to $5K more
- paint will be slightly more
- interior will be slightly more

In the end, figure $25k to $50k more. Only you can decide if it is worth it.

Tim

If price is your own deciding factor then it is easy, you know the 7 is going to be cheaper but I suspect this is not the only deciding factor otherwise not much need for gathering opinion.

I have built both and both are wonderful flying machines.
They both take roughly about the same time to build but the plans for the 14 is by far more complete which makes it easier to build, especially for the first time builder.
The 7 is much more sportier than a 14 but a 14 makes better platform for xcountry AND IFR, if that is your future flying.
Thunderbolt is a nice to have but it is not by any means necessary so if you are cost conscience, then why not a standard engine.

Of course one other factor that I would imagine you know of, the 14 is much more suited/beneficial if the person is tall and handsome. A tall and heavier set person would be cramp in a 7.

Or if you really want a project, you may be able to find an RV-6/6A kit, unfinished, that you can complete. For a straightforward airplane construction project, though, really... go for the RV-14/14A. The speed at which you'll have it flying will surprise you.

Dave

I'm building a 7a. I'm really enjoying the build, but after the tail section is complete, the instructions are not very good. Considering that the 7 is supposedly the best selling model, you'd think they'd spend some time and update the instructions and parts. There is also a fair amount of manufacturing parts from aluminum stock and making generic parts fit your application. Much more than the 14 from what I understand. You will spend a lot of time researching, asking questions and trying to figure things out on your own if you go with the 7.

If I had to do it over again, I would've probably built the 14a. Especially as a first time builder. Me thinks I'll probably be a repeat offender, so maybe next time! :cool:

I realize this is a cost comparison question, but before you pull the trigger on either model, be sure to fly both.

At 5' 6" (on a good day), the -14 felt like flying a bathtub, not to mention the one I flew was rigged for a taller pilot. Hard to enjoy flying a plane when you can't reach the pedals!!

Since my -7 is finished and has some flight hours, I couldn't be more pleased. It's the right "fit" for me. And yes the -7 plans are sometimes a challenge, but all the info is there if you dig ... and you'll need to do some builder stuff at the end to make it your plane.

Best of luck!

RV7

Extensive discussions on here about RV7 structural failures. Some final reports indicate substantial exceedance of Vne. At least one involved a pilot trying to learn aileron rolls on his own.
RV6 by comparison zero structural failures resulting in fatalities.

Extensive discussions on here about RV7 structural failures. Some final reports indicate substantial exceedance of Vne. At least one involved a pilot trying to learn aileron rolls on his own.
RV6 by comparison zero structural failures resulting in fatalities.

Yes, I saw those, and from what I saw, there was nothing that indicated failure below Vne. Is someone saying that the 14 can engage in more agressive aerobatics because it CAN exceed Vne safely?

If you think the training wheels came off when you finished the empennage... just wait until you get to the fiberglass stuff. What!??? NO predrilled holes? I have to trim & fit the cowl???? Wheel pants???

just wait until you get to the fiberglass stuff. What!??? NO predrilled holes? I have to trim & fit the cowl???? Wheel pants???

Those are the easy parts, intersection fairings!!!!
Although now days they maybe provided or some aftermarkets are available.

7vs14

I have chosen the 7 for me but I have seen build and and finished a 7 and a 14 for a friend. I can tell you the 14 is the easier kit by miles. Also what I have seen overlooked in my calculations is that the 14 kit includes quite a bit of parts that are extra in the 7 kit. If you add all that up the price difference between the kits is not that big.

If I were to do it again I would take the 14 but the 7 great as well. The kit is just so much easier. I am hoping I can find a cheaper 360 than a 390 but with the prices increasing thousands every year I don't even know how to ever finish this plane.

Predrilled....? What's that....?

Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
The tail is the learning part of the build, then the training wheels come off.

Truer words have never been spoken. I hear the fuse kit is even worse :eek:

(Best John Wayne voice): Well, step back, there Pilgrims, and let an old-timer in here to tell you what it was like back when I was a kid..... We had to make our own aluminum out of bauxite.;):D

When the parts for SuzieQ first started showing up I was amazed that there were actually some pre-formed parts: spars; bulkheads; leading edge skins. The rest looked like a pile of stock aluminum that I was supposed to somehow craft into a flying machine. The construction manuals looked like something from my high school shop class....except the printing was black and not mimeograph blue. But I knew RV-4's had been build and were flying so in I jumped.

My time: 1/3: staring at the plans trying to figure out WHAT they were trying to tell me, reading from the construction manual; 1/3: building. 1/3: looking for tools :D

The -8 was not available when I started and, having flown both, am much happier with the way the -4 'fits' me. Way too much room in the -8 ;) Go fly....or just sit in....both.

If you start a -7 you will finish it. Others have. If you go with the -14 you might find it an easier build but may take just as much time. And this forum can help speed you along your path. Either way you will have an amazing aircraft when you finish...one that YOU built!!

I c Went with the 14 because the 14 was a more capable model (eg. size, cabin width, relatively easier to assemble, more robust-aerobatic capable). Go with a standard Lyc 360 or 390 instead of the Thunderbolt. T-bolt is small team built to blueprint specs, the others come down the line.

Fact or fiction?
My money is on fiction.

One other consideration. For those who don't need aerobatics, for surprisingly little additional cost over a 14, one can build a 10 and in addition to much higher carrying capacity/flexibility of people or cargo, one ends up with a very significant increase in market value in a much broader market. I've seen differences of 100k in market value on increased build cost of 10-20k. The 10 opens up the market to potential buyers who are otherwise looking at Cirrus's, Mooney's, Bonanzas etc and are not interested in a 2 seat sport plane.

Back