What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rotax Care?

I got an email from rotax-owner.com last month about this new 912is service letter announcing "Rotax Care", an option that extends the warranty three years or TBO (whichever comes first) --

https://legacy.rotaxowner.com/si_tb_info/serviceletter/sl-912i-017.pdf

I'm interested because I've already ordered my engine, and I expect most of its regular warranty will pass while it's still in the crate.

The SL says that in the US, Rotax Care can only be purchased with the engine. I asked Van's about it today; they said "we don't have any access to it at Van's Aircraft. You may want to contact Rotax directly." So I wrote to Rotax, who forwarded my message to a US distributor, who hasn't gotten back to me yet.

Anyone know more about this? (like: cost, or how to get it as a Van's customer?)

[If you're going to Oshkosh and see a Rotax booth, please ask them about this and report back!]

Thanks!
...Bryan

Unless their policy has changed I was told you can't get the extended warranty in the USA.

I got an email from rotax-owner.com last month about this new 912is service letter announcing "Rotax Care", an option that extends the warranty three years or TBO (whichever comes first) --

https://legacy.rotaxowner.com/si_tb_info/serviceletter/sl-912i-017.pdf

I'm interested because I've already ordered my engine, and I expect most of its regular warranty will pass while it's still in the crate.

The SL says that in the US, Rotax Care can only be purchased with the engine. I asked Van's about it today; they said "we don't have any access to it at Van's Aircraft. You may want to contact Rotax directly." So I wrote to Rotax, who forwarded my message to a US distributor, who hasn't gotten back to me yet.

Anyone know more about this? (like: cost, or how to get it as a Van's customer?)

[If you're going to Oshkosh and see a Rotax booth, please ask them about this and report back!]

Thanks!
...Bryan

Hi Everyone
Mi have made one of my Oshkosh missions to get Rotax and Vans to make Rotaxcare available. Great news. We are close. Ryan (Van’s) met with Nino (Rotax) today and will be sending Ryan the pricing for the Rotaxcare. About $3000ish. Once they have that pricing they are going to make it available to us. If you are close to your engine shipping and you want Rotaxcare, DO NOT let Van’s ship yet. If it leaves Van’s doorstep, you can not get Rotaxcare.

Hope this helps you all interested.

Warranties

I hope Van's and Rotax can work something out regarding an extended warranty period option. Unforeseen delays plague builders and warranty periods can be used up while parts set on the shelf at the builder's site.

I seem to recall Van's will hold delivery of your engine packages for a period of time if you are not ready for delivery. Anyone know if that is still the case? And, if so, how long will they hold it?

It would be nice if Van's could also work something similar out for holding their avionics packages. The start of their warranties (at least Garmin) can be affected by the same unforeseen delays.

Everyone waiting on an engine should have received a email from Greg about Rotaxcare option. This hopefully puts this to rest.

I got Greg’s email (thanks, Greg!), and wrote to Van’s about my specific case:

- Adding Rotax Care now wouldn’t change my place in line, but they say I’m “quite a ways down the list” (which makes me think I shouldn’t worry as much about the standard warranty wasting away while I’m building!)
- It would cost me the $2808 Greg mentioned; I wouldn’t have to pay the (~$1K) price increase that occurred since I ordered my powerplant kit in February 22
- They want to know who wants Rotax Care because it needs to be included with their engine order from the factory.

So, existing 912iS owners: have you had expenses that would’ve been covered? I asked a -12iS buddy (who’s flown his for a few years) and he said he hasn’t had any. Would you have gotten Rotax Care if you’d had the chance?

- They want to know who wants Rotax Care because it needs to be included with their engine order from the factory.

Stuff like that makes me think that they make the engine with extra special parts so they don't end up having to eat any of that $2800 premium they charged you. Or don't give you an engine built on a Friday. :)

Stuff like that makes me think that they make the engine with extra special parts so they don't end up having to eat any of that $2800 premium they charged you. Or don't give you an engine built on a Friday. :)

For the record, it's exactly the same engine, whether with or without the extended warranty. They don't even assign the final part number until well after the engine was built and shipped to the regional distributor. There is some sort of legal limitation per ROTAX that prohibits them from offering the extended warranty after the original order/sale in the Americas because an after-the-fact sale of an extended warranty constitutes the sale of a separate insurance policy rather than a warranty included with their product. It's ROTAX's determination as to how and when they can offer their extended warranty - Not a Van's decision or determination.

Also, our email last week did not include the fact that from now until the end of 2022 ROTAX is including a voucher for a Bose A20 headset when purchasing the 912 iS engine with ROTAX Care.

Also, our email last week did not include the fact that from now until the end of 2022 ROTAX is including a voucher for a Bose A20 headset when purchasing the 912 iS engine with ROTAX Care.

Is that for engine purchase or delivery? I changed my order earlier this week to include RC. Will I get the voucher even if the engine isn't delivered until 2023?

I'll have the option of buying the Rotax Care next year when I order my 912iS Rotax.

At $2808.00, is it worth it ? ( The big question ) As a rule, I never buy extended warranties. I reason that if it weren't profitable for them, they wouldn't sell it at all, so my risk must not be THAT great. (Buy quality stuff, not junk) I'm also pretty good at maintaining stuff and preventative maintenance.

Everything starts when you register your engine, which requires a serial number. When do you know that,... at delivery ?

Last edited:
I'll have the option of buying the Rotax Care next year when I order my 912iS Rotax.

At $2808.00, is it worth it ? ( The big question )

Everything starts when you register your engine, which requires a serial number. When do you know that,... at delivery ?

The warranty for the Rotax engine (this was recently modified by Rotax, FYI) has the automatic start of coverage two months after it is shipped from the Rotax distributor to Van's. That's the case whether the engine comes with the standard warranty, or if it includes Rotax Care.

Your serial number is assigned to you when we allocate the individual engine to your order. Once that has happened, we could provide it to you if you ask for it. Typically you don't register your engine as the end user until it's been received by you.

Just to be clear…

Since the Bose Headset Voucher isn’t mentioned on the current power plant order form, any 12iS power plant order placed before the end of 2022 that includes Rotax Care will get the Bose headset voucher regardless of the power plant delivery date?

:D

(I need another ANR headset, so that’s kind of a deal maker/breaker.)

Just to be clear…

Since the Bose Headset Voucher isn’t mentioned on the current power plant order form, any 12iS power plant order placed before the end of 2022 that includes Rotax Care will get the Bose headset voucher regardless of the power plant delivery date?

:D

(I need another ANR headset, so that’s kind of a deal maker/breaker.)

We're waiting on clarification from Rotax on this question and will post when we have the answer. Thx!

FWIW, there's no "voucher": I got my powerplant kit w/Rotax Care last week, and it came with an A20 (with Bluetooth and normal GA plugs) in the Rotax crate.

Back