What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which cherrymax rivets???

Latech15

Well Known Member
I have a couple of rivets in the bottom skin on the fuse of my RV-10 that I can’t get to with a bucking bar. The plans call for a ad426 countersunk 3-3.5 solid rivet. What would be the appropriate size cherry max rivet to use in its place?

I’ve read a lot and searched a lot, and I can’t find an aluminum rivet, cs head, in 3/32 dia. Should I upsize the hole and dimple to 1/8 or use a steel rivet? Or am I just not finding what I’m looking for?

Vans approves the use of an MK319-BS blind rivet to be used in place of a 426AD rivet in the length that you mentioned. It does require enlarging the hole diameter to #34 but the rivet head fits the standard dimple pretty well. You can vary slightly machine counter sink and the deadbolt to get a better fit if you desire.

I'm pretty certain you won't find any 3/32" Cherrymax rivets anywhere because as far as I know they don't make them that small. You will have no choice but to go to the 1/8" dia rivets if you want to use Cherrymax (CR3212).

In terms of grip length, if you don't have one of their grip gauges then its a bit of a guess however if you were looking to use a "3-3.5" solid then I'm guessing you're only going through a couple of skins in which case you would most likely need a 4-2 or 4-3 Cherrymax.

Make sure you obtain the correct diameter because Cherrymax also produce an oversize version of the standard 1/8" rivet (CR3242) which is slightly larger and its very easy to confuse the two. The larger version requires a 9/64" drill bit from memory but I stand to be corrected on that.

Cherry

They’re not, and they aren’t an equivalent strength replacement for an AN426AD3.

I understand.
I used two of them from my kit Vans sent me in the Elastomer Nose Gear Kit, exactly where the plans said to use them. Vans called for four holding the nutplates for the nose gear fairing. I used two because I could drive the other two AN426AD3.

My mistake. I only used two of the ones Vans sent in the nutplates for the nose pant. I assumed they were Cherrymax.

Vans should consider editing the Web Store search algorithm. A search for "CherryMax Rivets" shows them. Maybe post a disclaimer so builders don't use them in the wrong place.
My apologies for the suggestion. Please delete my post.

Last edited:
I had the exact same question. Had one AN426 3-3.5 in the skin on either side of the tail wheel tube that I could not find a bucking bar that I could get in there (and I have a lot of bucking bars 🤷*♂️). I finally made an executive decision to go with a cherrymax in its place. I searched hi-and-low and could not find an equivalency chart. I’m sure it must exist but I couldn’t find one. I know I have the shear strength with the cherry max, and it is only one per side in a long row of rivets, but would like to know what the recommended replacement is for each size AN rivet. Fortunately, for aesthetic purposes, they live under the HS and elevator so nobody will ever see them 👍.

Not to hijack the thread, but is there a comprehensive list of pull rivets with the comparable solid rivets anywhere? I get so lost in the pull rivet world when it comes to size, length, material, uses, etc. It would be nice if there was a single source that a person could reference for straightforward info.

Back