What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Signs of Use - Signs of Life!

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
Oshkosh reminded me again just how much respect I have for people who can produce big-time award-winning aircraft. The time and dedication that it takes to walk away from the ?Big Show? with an award is tremendous, and seeing how many beautiful airplanes there are I realize that I?m just not in that league. Seeing every rivet perfectly set, every paint line perfectly drawn and a finish so smooth that it appears to have been poured into shape just knocks my socks off. This year I ran across a past Grand Champion (restoration) from a few years ago, and it looked as gorgeous as it did when I ran across it in a hangar at a fuel stop a few years ago ? and couldn?t believe the workmanship and time that went in to it.

But with all that said, I must admit that when I walk the lines, I also admire another category of aircraft. These are the ones that show the care and attention of their owners and builders, yet also show those tell-tale signs of wear. A few chips of paint missing off an oil door hinge or next to a cowl screw. Discolored exhaust stacks and a stained tailwheel spring from breather oil. A spot of touch-up paint on a leading edge from a rock, or on the interior canopy latch striker plate. I call these little things ?Signs of Use?, and I have a great admiration for what they represent ? an airplane that gets flown!

Again, I?ll emphasize my respect for the absolute award winners ? their airplanes are gorgeous. But I wonder sometimes just how often they get taken out and flown. It is as hard to maintain an airplane in perfect condition as it is to produce a perfect specimen to begin with. Few people have the time to spend keeping a machine perfect while still using it. But I like to believe that airplanes are made to be flown. Some people are builders first, and pilots second; others are pilots who built because they had to in order to get the airplane they want. I am somewhere in between, and respect each person?s position within that spectrum.

But I love the stories that an airplane has locked inside it ? stories of places it?s been, weather it has seen, adventures experienced. A pilot with an RV is a modern day cowboy, free to roam the country from coast to coast and to experience the wild freedom of the sky. It takes hours to do that, hours that take a toll on a perfect fit or finish. I take great pride in the way my airplane looks, but I have always known that it is not perfect, and that works in my favor, because I am not afraid of letting it show a few signs of wear, badges of honor. As we approach 1,000 hours of flight together, I think she still looks pretty good (and Louise will tell you that I still clean the bugs off each day?), but I am not terribly worried that I have a crack in the bottom of a wheel pant that most people can?t see, or a spot where I had to stop-drill a crack under the rudder pedals. After a thousand hours of flying, I expect some wear and tear!

So when I go to a show like Oshkosh, or an RV gathering like LOE, I look for those airplanes with stories to tell. Where have they been? How many nights have they spent on strange ramps, their owners enjoying the fruits of all those years of building? How many times have they been upside down, and how often have they shared the joy of flight with a passenger who has never before flown in such a delightful airplane? Those oil drips on the trailing edge of the cowling tell as much as a blue ribbon on the prop, or a trophy on the wing. You won?t see them listed on the EAA web site ? but you might just find a feature article in the magazine, telling of the adventures to be had when you are willing to accept a few ?signs of use??.

Paul

re:Ditto

Paul:
I've felt the same way for years. I walk the grounds at OSH and see all the perfection and wonder how much it gets flown. Then look at the not-so-perfect airplane and say "I'll bet you have some stories to tell".:)
As for me, I'm not building a show plane, I'm building a flying machine for me and the family.;)

Marshall Alexander
RV10 N781DM

Polish or Fly (I do both)

It is as hard to maintain an airplane in perfect condition as it is to produce a perfect specimen to begin with. Few people have the time to spend keeping a machine perfect while still using it. But I like to believe that airplanes are made to be flown. Some people are builders first, and pilots second; others are pilots who built because they had to in order to get the airplane they want. I am somewhere in between, and respect each person?s position within that spectrum.
I was told after my first flight that every flight from now on was "just wearing it out". I fly most of the time early in the morning, landing just about when the regulars show up at the airport. They ask if I was "up wearing out my airplane".

I clean the bugs and belly after every flight, monitor every scratch, nick, and crack as if it is a show plane (at least to me) but never regret the flying as that is what I built her for. I now have 300 hours on my RV; 300 hours of pure fun/excitement. I have unknown hours of care and maintenance as well. All to try and balance what my idea is of being a proud builder/owner and an excited pilot/flyer.

Just for the record....there is no aircraft judging penalty for normal wear and tear, and new judges are specifically instructed on that point. The EAA Judging Standards Manual is specific:

E. Aircraft General Condition
Most owners are proud of their aircraft and spend considerable effort to remove dust, oil and exhaust stains from their aircraft. An aircraft, which is obviously not cared for, should be downgraded. Aircraft are intended to fly and allowances will be made for discoloration and the inevitable minor traces of flight. An airplane need not be absolutely new in order to compete.

Builders have been known to take extra steps so certain things don't develop signs of wear. For example, well done hidden hinge oil doors and plated/polished canopy latches don't show paint chipping. Details count.

That said, I certainly agree with the premise of Paul's post. Get it judged when new, while it's easy.....then fly the snot out of it.

Well done Paul

It was nice meeting you at Osh. One of my favorites there was an older 4 of excellent workmanship and construction but was very long in the tooth. Lots of battle scars, wear and tear, and it made me smile to look at it and know that is what mine will look like someday, and I will be proud of every scratch, ding, and chip.

I feel a little better now

I just checked out Doug's pictures of wear on his plane, and when combined with this thread feel a little better. My -8 never started as a show plane but I am flying the heck out of it. Haven't seen any evidence of snot yet though! I've put about 40 hours on it since May 1, and leave Saturday for a week in Wyoming. Up and back by RV, back packing with friends in the Wind River range for the middle 5 days.

I've got a small dent in the back of the left aileron. Came with the plane so don't know the story. Scratches on the cowl from on/offs for oil changes and the engine work last winter. Paint is worn on the left side of the cockpit from operating the throttle. More cowl scratches from the time a big wind knocked them around in my hanger during an oil change. Marks on the fuse top from the canopy seals. Lots more dings than I can remember, but I know I've put a lot of work into the plane to improve the wiring, engine, and instrumentation and it's better than when I bought it.

After 130 hours in this plane it's starting to become my friend and confidant, and may someday approach the "favorite old guitar" stage, although my Martin is still way out in front.

I love the show planes. People do amazing work, but at least for now I feel like I don't have to apologize for having a working pony instead of a show horse.

Reducing cowl and other scratches

I am a new owner of an RV7 and have taken the cowl on/off a few times in the few months that I have owned my plane. I notice that it's pretty easy to scratch the paint on the cowl and spinner if you are not super careful. Do you have any tips or tricks to make this easier? I've heard that there is a product that you can buy that fits between the spinner and cowl that protects both when removing the cowl. Does anyone have information about this?

Thanks for your help!

Tape

Our RV6A has 1400 plus hours on it from Key West to Anchorage. We are going to Petit Jean and New England in September. I try to put painters blue tape on the spinner and the fuselage behind the cowling when I remove the cowl. I have had to remove them on the road a couple of times and that’s where the scratches are.

I am a new owner of an RV7 and have taken the cowl on/off a few times in the few months that I have owned my plane. I notice that it's pretty easy to scratch the paint on the cowl and spinner if you are not super careful. Do you have any tips or tricks to make this easier? I've heard that there is a product that you can buy that fits between the spinner and cowl that protects both when removing the cowl. Does anyone have information about this?

Thanks for your help!

Hi David, first, welcome to VAF!

I used to use low tack painters tape along each seam of the cowl and around the spinner, but I have switched to carefully placed microfiber cloths - so far it's kept things from getting damaged too badly. I'm still very careful but with the microfiber cloths it's much faster than when I taped it up.

Cowl protection

Just take half an old T-shirt and pull it behind the spinner and tape it to the spinner after you wrap it around. Same with the bottom. Same rag just move it to the bottom. I have an RV-6A and do the same to the fairing.
No scars if you do it right.
I tried the blue tape, But it rips, tears, etc.

Art

It’s fun when someone resurrects a thread from well over a decade ago!

I’m sitting in the workshop with the Valkyrie beside me, taking a break from working behind the panel (yet another piece of test equipment going in, trying to sort out wiring scars from many such tests over the years….), and looking at a logbook with just show of 2100 hours. She still looks god enough to have spent the day on Boeing Plaza last month, but there are lots of little dings….one from a rock on a back country strip, and other from where a tent peg dropped while unloading at a campsite. There are some cracks in the cowl paint from years of heat, and yeah - I can;t tell you how many times the wheel pants have been rebuilt - right now, they look pretty good, but in a year? Who knows…..

Fly ‘em, enjoy ‘em, and if your thing is keeping them in perfect condition while doing those things, more power to you! I still wash, but rarely wax, and I stopped touching up paint when I acquired more airplanes to care for. Doesn’t; mean I don’t like anymore - it just means that we are comfortable together as we are….

Paul

I cleaned mine when I got home from the Western Tour, and found four or five new chips. Probably got 'em at Smiley Creek. I kinda like 'em...reminders of a good time with good friends.

I enjoy seeing the really nice planes with the great interior and paint job just like I do custom cars.

I really enjoy seeing the planes that I can tell the builder built. I know each of us is better at one part of the build - fiberglass, panel, interior, riveting, and painting.

We all get to build the plane we want and can spend what we want. The guy that gave me my first ride back in 2010 built his 9A for about $30k. He used ski pole grips for the stick, bought a used engine and bought a second hand kit. It flew great and he still enjoys flying it all the time. That is less than a nice paint job now.

My plane came out great. I love it. If I was a better painter, it would look even nicer! Im working on my wheel pants now but I hate taking time away from flying!

That is what is nice about experimental. We all can get what we want!

Great to see some beautiful aircraft at OSH this year. The only negative trend I see over the last few years IMHO are the aircraft that are clearly built by an entire team for the express purpose of claiming a prize. They are indeed beautiful but when you ask one of the "builders" about a certain detail on "their" aircraft, they are unable to answer, clearly because they have no idea what you're talking about. Ask any actual builder about their aircraft and I guarantee they'll tell you all about it. I see these show winners usually up for sale soon after they win "awards" at multiple fly ins.

Just passed the 500 hour mark on my steed about a month prior to OSH '22. She wasn't built to win awards but she still looks good. A few paint chips here and there but still taking me to a lot of fun places and meeting a lot of great people. Looking forward to building a -15 and adding to the stable. Like my wife says with horses, "they're like potato chips, you can't have just one". :D

As far as keeping the LE of the cowling looking good, I also use painters tape. I've found if you make the strips longer, if it does begin to tear, you've got more tape to work with to remove the whole strip.

I saw a number of factory assist builds getting judged ... personally, I don't think factory assist builds are fair entries into the contest.

Barriers

Thanks for your help!

I went to the Dollar store and got some colorful plastic report folders. I made one to fit between the cowl and the spinner as my lower cowl is hard to get perfect.

Also a couple wrapped around the gear fairings where the lower cowl will drag. I use tape for the gear legs, and some spring clamps to hold the U shaped barrier behind the spinner.

I have a couple more made for sliding the intersection fairings up the gear leg from the James pants.

The material is pretty tough and slippery.

Great to see some beautiful aircraft at OSH this year. The only negative trend I see over the last few years IMHO are the aircraft that are clearly built by an entire team for the express purpose of claiming a prize.

The first one of those I saw was an RV-6 which (IIRC) won Grand Champion awards about 20 years ago at both SnF (when that mattered) and Oshkosh. There was a large write-up in Sport Aviation where it was apparent the builder had hired out much/most/all of the work.

There are truly exceptional individuals who build award winning aircraft, but it is hard to compete with pro-built aircraft with a no expense barred budget.

The good thing is, nothing about the pro built aircraft diminishes the efforts of people who build their own aircraft and do a tremendous job at it, all while learning something and getting to experience the pride that stems from their hard work.

Great Topic

I remember reading this years ago. It still applies today. I was fortunate to win the Gold Lindy (Grand Champion) in 2021 with my RV7 N717AZ. I've said many times that I didn't build the plane with the intent of showing it. I got convinced as it progressed. I also didn't built it to sit. The first flight was in May of 2020. It was down for 8 months for paint and another 4 or so months as I recovered from hernia surgery. (Not Fun) So, since first flight, the plane and myself have been flyable for 16 months. In that time we've put 240 hours on it. We've been all over the country and as far as the Keys in Florida. We've got many more trips planned as well.

I've said many times that aviation isn't about planes and aircraft, it is about people. The greatest joy for me hanging around the plane and talking with owners, builders and potential owner/builders. Hoping I can answer their questions and encourage them to build a safe, reliable airplane is my goal. Admittedly, I went a little overboard on the details. But, it demonstrates what is possible.

And yes, there should be a category for builder assisted aircraft. Further, with the proliferation of the RV line, I think there should be a category for RV's.

Great post Paul. Good seeing you at AV!!

Protecting cowling from spinner

Go to Wal Mart and buy a package of flexible plastic cutting boards. They are
a couple dollars for 3

Cut one to go behind the spinner where it goes up to the prop hub
Basically your cutting a big U out of the plastic about a 4 in U

Slide this behind the spinner when you take off the cowling. No more cuss words

Last edited:
Thankyou Paul,
For your first post, I love it, and fully agree.
Your post was made several years before our current steed first flew. We are using it as much as we can! And it has a few honest scars, mods, updates, and repairs to attest.
And we continue to work at finishing anothers RV-6 build, and hope to fly the S..t out of it too...........if we live long enough!
All the best
And Cheers from OZ
Mike

Born to fly

My 8, sn 81324 first flew in August of 2001 and had 400 hours when I got her in Oct. 2006. Just clocked over 3300 hours and is going strong. Original paint has been buffed and touched up and still looks pretty darn good. Lots and lots of memories, friends, destinations, grins, burgers, things a lot of people just never get to experience and the best part is I did the vast majority of all of it with my wife in the backseat.
I absolutely love to admire show planes. I absolutely love to fly more!

DC3DA192-3624-4567-A4BB-4B78DD2F9392.jpg

She still looks good for a 21 year old planes that’s been flown hard but never put up wet..

Dings can be mementos-

Paul- Good post, a bit of wear and tear is really a badge of honor, the way lines and creases signify wisdom on an aging face. You built this airplane to fly it and the world can see you’ve done so.

I picked up a small ding at KOSH this year I’ll never fix. After arriving Saturday afternoon and securing her in RV camping, the one giant weather event of the week swept through over about 30 min. moving at 60mph. With dread, I retuned to inspect afterward, walking past dozens of collapsed and soaking wet camping tents along the way. I found my rudder gust lock had proven inadequate and had let go at some point. The rudder had hit the stop so hard it sheared three of the four rivets securing it and rotated on the fourth, allowing the rudder to slam into the sharp corner of elevator. The ding is small, and I’m lucky it only hit once, so it will remain as a reminder of Oshkosh 22, and of the importance of REALLY securing my bird when travelling!

Like you, I’m also blown away by the degree of perfection attained by the show-plane winners, but I admit I often find myself wondering about the true empty-weight of some of them! Show me an honest, lightly built, utilitarian RV any day of the week!- Otis

Back