What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT EIS fuel level calibration

Scott Hersha

Well Known Member
I know there are a lot of GRT EIS users on this forum, so I’m hopeful someone will be able to help me with a problem.

Yesterday I spent the entire afternoon calibrating my float-type resistive fuel senders for my EIS installed in my almost completed RV-6. These are wired to Aux inputs in my EIS according to the install manual through the 4.8v excitation circuitry with 470 ohm resistors that came with the kit. According to the calibration plan you start with a scale factor (AuxSF) of 100, and an offset (AuxOff) of 0 (zero). This whole thing is done with the airplane in a level flight attitude. You are supposed to start with a known quantity of fuel and start draining it out until the reading on the EIS stops going down - which I did. I ended up with a little more than 1/2 gallon remaining in the tank (on both tanks) when the sensor stops indicating lower. This is just for my information and doesn’t affect the rest of the procedure. At the bottom, the left tank read 143, and the right tank read 142. What that number is, I don’t know, but it has to do with measured resistance in the EIS. Then I slowly add fuel until that number stops increasing. On mine both tanks stopped reading at 16 gallons for my 19 gallon tanks, so I know I’ll have to burn off 3 gallons from a full tank before the EIS starts registering fuel quantity - good to know. Both tanks read 197 when the sensor hit the top of the tank.

Now the exercise is to just use the empty and full readings in a formula as directed by the GRT instruction sheets to figure and reset the scale factor (AuxSF) and the offset (AuxOff). My left tank SF/Off was 296/83. My right tank SF/Off was 291/81. This should allow the EIS to register in gallons. I put 10 gallons of fuel in the left tank, and the rest of it, about 9 gallons, in the right tank. The readings I get are 514 on the left (with 10 gallons of fuel in it), and 478 on the right.

This is a math exercise that has gone wrong somehow. So - can I correct this with adjusted SF’s and Offsets, or do I need to do the fuel draining/adding thing again, and if so, how do I do it now, because the GRT process doesn’t seem to be working. This all came together after 4pm yesterday, so no possible help from the GRT team until Monday. I hope I don’t have to go through this whole process again….

Last edited:
Scott,

You probably already know tis but,
JUST IN CASE there are others reading this and are not aware ...

If you have a GRT EFIS, you can set the values to zero and then starting with empty tanks (level flight attitude of plane) add say, two (2) gallons at a time from the calibrated fuel truck tanks. You input the amount and the EFIS builds the table.

As you know, they will register "full" until you get to the point where the resistive floats move (2-3 gallons down) and be "roughly right" all the way down to empty.

I have done it the way you are doing it and don't remember it all at the moment (not at the airport) but I felt I would mention this approach, JUST IN CASE.

Theres a calculator on the GRT website you can use, I just found the calculator again. If you look at the EIS page and then look at sensor documentation, its under fuel level. Your numbers aren't even close to mine. I'll try to attach a picture on my results.

Attachments

• IMG_1160.jpg
    IMG_1160.jpg
    559.4 KB · Views: 87
I know there are a lot of GRT EIS users on this forum, so I’m hopeful someone will be able to help me with a problem.

Yesterday I spent the entire afternoon calibrating my float-type resistive fuel senders for my EIS installed in my almost completed RV-6. These are wired to Aux inputs in my EIS according to the install manual through the 4.8v excitation circuitry with 470 ohm resistors that came with the kit. According to the calibration plan you start with a scale factor (AuxSF) of 100, and an offset (AuxOff) of 0 (zero). This whole thing is done with the airplane in a level flight attitude. You are supposed to start with a known quantity of fuel and start draining it out until the reading on the EIS stops going down - which I did. I ended up with a little more than 1/2 gallon remaining in the tank (on both tanks) when the sensor stops indicating lower. This is just for my information and doesn’t affect the rest of the procedure. At the bottom, the left tank read 143, and the right tank read 142. What that number is, I don’t know, but it has to do with measured resistance in the EIS. Then I slowly add fuel until that number stops increasing. On mine both tanks stopped reading at 16 gallons for my 19 gallon tanks, so I know I’ll have to burn off 3 gallons from a full tank before the EIS starts registering fuel quantity - good to know. Both tanks read 197 when the sensor hit the top of the tank.

Now the exercise is to just use the empty and full readings in a formula as directed by the GRT instruction sheets to figure and reset the scale factor (AuxSF) and the offset (AuxOff). My left tank SF/Off was 296/83. My right tank SF/Off was 291/81. This should allow the EIS to register in gallons. I put 10 gallons of fuel in the left tank, and the rest of it, about 9 gallons, in the right tank. The readings I get are 514 on the left (with 10 gallons of fuel in it), and 478 on the right.

This is a math exercise that has gone wrong somehow. So - can I correct this with adjusted SF’s and Offsets, or do I need to do the fuel draining/adding thing again, and if so, how do I do it now, because the GRT process doesn’t seem to be working. This all came together after 4pm yesterday, so no possible help from the GRT team until Monday. I hope I don’t have to go through this whole process again….

Subtract empty SF from Full SF, divide the result by 16 ((#gallons in when SF quit rising). So for left tank 197-143= 54. Next divide this by gallons in before SF quit changing 16/54= 0.29629. Multiply This by 100= 30 (rounded). So SF for left is 30

Offset is empty SF x .296296 so, 141 x .296296= 42rounded.
Multiply this by 2= 84. Subtract 1 from this = 83. So Offset for left is 83. ( Must equal odd number)

Repeat formula for right tank.

Enter these two into the EIS for each respective AUX#. BTW Make sure you are calculating for Integer vs Decimal. When both done and entered, quit looking at SF and OS … u are looking at ohms I think. Now is time to look at EIS for gallons represented by you efforts.

Pics attached of my recent left tank

Attachments

• 75EE2D7A-E24F-4145-9A15-8A56417AFDBC.jpg
    75EE2D7A-E24F-4145-9A15-8A56417AFDBC.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 83
  • 4340BA35-1971-4DE0-B3B4-0EB3BDA92558.jpg
    4340BA35-1971-4DE0-B3B4-0EB3BDA92558.jpg
    303 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Subtract empty SF from Full SF, divide the result by 16 ((#gallons in when SF quit rising). So for left tank 197-143= 54. Next divide this by gallons in before SF quit changing 16/54= 0.29629. Multiply This by 100= 30 (rounded). So SF for left is 30

Offset is empty SF x .296296 so, 141 x .296296= 42rounded.
Multiply this by 2= 84. Subtract 1 from this = 83. So Offset for left is 83. ( Must equal odd number)

Repeat formula for right tank.

Enter these two into the EIS for each respective AUX#. BTW Make sure you are calculating for Integer vs Decimal. When both done and entered, quit looking at SF and OS … u are looking at ohms I think. Now is time to look at EIS for gallons represented by you efforts.

Pics attached of my recent left tank

This website is such a great asset!!

I did exactly as you suggest here, except when I multiplied .296 by 100, I got 296. The error is so obvious that it went right past my tunnel vision. Changed the SF to 30 and 29, an now it works as it should. Fuel level indication is within a gallon of what it should be. Thanks to all who responded. Never fails to amaze me how helpful builders are.

Airworthiness inspection coming up in a couple weeks.

Back