What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking at an 8 kit and have questions.

Dalpilot

I am looking at buying an RV8 kit someone has for sale with Quick build fuselage and wings, tail built and wings mostly finished. Fuselage has had some work done but is far from completed. Tail has been drilled to the fuselage and drilled correctly to the plans. Landing gear has not been drilled yet. Kit does not include the finish kit or the firewall forward kit. Obviously I would need an engine, prop, avionics firewall fwd kit and a finishing kit.

This will be my first build, (I build old cars), so I have the mechanical skills but don’t know much about building aircraft

I am leaning towards a Show planes cowling and fastback kit. How much Would the show planes kit eliminate what I need for the finishing kit and/or firewall forward kit. Also, what are the things I would need that I am not thinking of?

Sorry for the long post. I’m here to learn.

Tim

Also the interior, there seems to be about a 10 month lead time for that so plan accordingly. I used a James cowl and eliminated the cowling from my finish kit. The James cowl cost more than vans took off the finishing kit but it offset some of the expense.

I am leaning towards a Show planes cowling and fastback kit. How much Would the show planes kit eliminate what I need for the finishing kit and/or firewall forward kit. Also, what are the things I would need that I am not thinking of?

Sorry for the long post. I’m here to learn.

Tim

The short answer; the Show Planes kit will not eliminate the finish kit other than the parts associated with the canopy and cowl itself. It will add a significant amount of work. For a first time build this might be more than you want.

During the build you should consider W&B associated with engine and prop choice so you can decide where to mount your battery(s).

You do want to install your pitot mast before final bottom skin rivet.

Things like Autopilot servo mounting and such can be done post build, but if you know what system you are going to use installing servo mounts and such now is a little easier than later. Roll trim servo as well.

Carl

My advise for a first time builder is to:
Stick....to....the....plans.....

Do that, use all Van's parts and subkits, and you will have much fewer posts to this forum, LOL. And be flying MUCH sooner.

Go nuts on your next one.

My advise for a first time builder is to:
Stick....to....the....plans.....

Do that, use all Van's parts and subkits, and you will have much fewer posts to this forum, LOL. And be flying MUCH sooner.

Go nuts on your next one.

And then when you build your second airplane, you will have all of the expertise and confidence to customize it. By the time you build your third airplane, you will likely want it to be stock again.

VV (on my third).

I’m a first time builder with previous experience in metal working and decided to build an RV8 with the Fastback kit. Great kit but I wouldn’t recommend it solo if you haven’t built the wings or fuselage yourself. If you could get an experienced builder to help point you in the right direction I think it’s manageable.

Amen Vern!

Truer words never spoken. Repeat builder wisdom right there.
And then when you build your second airplane, you will have all of the expertise and confidence to customize it. By the time you build your third airplane, you will likely want it to be stock again.

VV (on my third).

Build what you want…

Don’t be discouraged. My plane is my first build, maybe my only build. I did the ShowPlanes fastback mod and cowling. It doesn’t require any special skills that you wouldn’t have by sticking with a stock build. It’s just a different shape and an all composite canopy structure.

The fastback kit is very well done, the composite structure of the canopy and the metal fastback parts are high quality. If you contact Bryan at ShowPlanes he can send you a list of parts to delete from the stock finish kit. No sense buying parts you won’t use.

I do recommend taking the EAA sheet metal and fiberglass workshops. I found them to be a great intro to riveting and glass work. Talk with some local builders for expertise and help when needed. If you’ve got some mechanical ability you’ll be just fine on your first build.

Back