What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

High vs Low back seats

wirejock

Well Known Member
Opinions please.
High Back (headrest) seats vs standard
I have Super Tracks.
I prefer the headrest and always use it in my car.
It stands to reason I would like the headrest.

I like the headrest look, but in cars I’m driving I don’t use, in a plane I’m flying I would not use. Supertrack alleviates the issues I heard others mention, they are in the way loading, reaching baggage area. I bet you get headrests;-) I recently purchased new interior from Lemke, he offers three heights on the seat back. I chose low/ RV seat back height.

Something to consider, head rests do offer a level of safety that non headrest seats don't. Awhile back there was a Mooney accident where occupant heads hyperextended backwards (headrests removed) and that was what did them in. I would love to have high headrests but no supertracks yet.

A positive for the headrest is that it separates the shoulder harness and keeps it from digging into my neck and being uncomfortable. A negative is that it is more difficult to access the rear baggage area, but I'll take the comfort over the access.

I have an order into Lemke for around 10 months. I ordered headrests originally, but am reconsidering due to baggage access. I do like the headrest in my truck. Mine is -7A tip up under construction. Maybe I can tilt seat forward for baggage access?

Look forward to other replies.

The primary safety benefit for headrests is from being rear ended. Common in cars, but very rare in aircraft, right?! (Although, as noted above, there probably are occasional examples where they would be beneficial.)

Supertracks or no, I still think they would get in the way enough to make them more a pain than otherwise.

Standard Height

Opinions please.
High Back (headrest) seats vs standard
I have Super Tracks.
I prefer the headrest and always use it in my car.
It stands to reason I would like the headrest.

Based on 888 hours in my RV-7 slider with Classic Aero Aviator seats:

1. I don't know about you, but at my age, weight, and physical conditioning I get in to the plane by sitting on the top of the seat back and then sliding down into the seat. I get out by basically reversing the process. Probably, couldn't do that with headrests.

2. I would think the headrests would make it difficult to put things back in the baggage compartment over the seat backs or retrieving them (something I do quite a bit). Having the Super Tracks will help with that I suspect.

Just my 2 cents . . . . .

The primary safety benefit for headrests is from being rear ended.

Well, yes and no. During a frontal impact, the belt system will stretch as the body keeps moving forward. Eventually the belts stop the body motion, and spring back, throwing the body back with it. The upper body will stop against the seat back, while the unsupported head keeps going over top of the seat back. Bad things happen to neck vertebrae at that point, up to and including snapping the spine.

Check out any car crash test dummy video where seatbelts are used. The second and third impacts (body to restraint system, body to seat back/headrest are important too.

Last edited:
No Headrest

Definitely no headrest for me. 2,500 7 slider hours and headrests would have been a real pain. If a tipper, the roll bar makes bag access especially difficult, even with supertracks. (In an hour, you can mod the standard slider to tip, no extra tracks.) I easily reach into the bag area often in flight. And I sit on the seat back occasionally. Being able to use the unobstructed seat back brace to lower or raise yourself is a big plus.

I'll take my chances on crashing without headrests. :D

John Siebold

Removable Headrests

The first observation of my "primary passenger" was that the seats were comfortable, but it could use a headrest.

I was thinking along the lines of a removable headrest, best of all worlds.

Here was one approach to making removable headrests in an RV-12
https://vansairforce.net/community/showpost.php?p=924348&postcount=242
https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?p=924661

Modern headrests are not as easily removable.

As an example. Chevy Tracker Rear folding seats had tool-less removable headrests.
See 1:14 in this video. Don't blink, or you will miss how fast the removal is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPOCKJk5Jnw

The only thing in the seat back, is the tube that has the adjusting mechanism.
https://www.gmcarpartsonline.com/a/...S--TRACKS-REAR-SEAT-COMPONENTS/GJ99302.html#5

A trip to the local Car Recycler might do the trick.

Last edited:
Head rests or not

I have an RV-6A and actually cut the seat backs down to the top of the "Almost -14" bar. I couldn't reach behind the seat when flying cause it was to high. And I'm 6'3" tall.
As for head rests they do work. I used to drive a tow truck 40 years ago for spare cash. Seen the results of none.
The head is said to be about 25 pounds.
Might as well put in air bags while one is at it.
Lot of inertia in an accident. Been in a few car/truck ones.
I wouldn't put headrests in my RV cause I can't each behind the seat.
So I suppose I'm taking a chance I won't get into and accident.
There is a much greater possibility of an automobile accident than an airplane.
There are risks in all things.
I cut the top of my pointy finger Saturday when cutting open bacon packages during the pancake breakfast bacon cooking session at Twin Oaks Airport .
Art

Back