What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

On the way.....

SuperCubDriver

Well Known Member
It started similar three years ago. Not the planning and intentions really, but the first day of the trip.
So here I am again in Wick/Scotland for a serious sightseeing flight to Greenland and back - six hours already on the clock. Because things didn´t work out for a trip to Oshkosh this year I do a shorter trip to Greenland "only".
Last year I got in touch with a French RV and Airbus test pilot I am very proud of. Now they are actually a group of three RV´s crossing the Atlantic for Oshkosh where some of you might see them - and they welcomed me to join them to Greenland.
Today we met in Wick for our legs to Greenland together.

p7SvDZl.jpg
[/IMG]

Looks like fun! I hope to see all you transatlantic crossers at OSH. As Peter said to me at EDVM a couple of weeks ago, there's an itch that needs to be scratched...

It started similar three years ago. Not the planning and intentions really, but the first day of the trip.
So here I am again in Wick/Scotland for a serious sightseeing flight to Greenland and back - six hours already on the clock. Because things didn´t work out for a trip to Oshkosh this year I do a shorter trip to Greenland "only".
Last year I got in touch with a French RV and Airbus test pilot I am very proud of. Now they are actually a group of three RV´s crossing the Atlantic for Oshkosh where some of you might see them - and they welcomed me to join them to Greenland.
Today we met in Wick for our legs to Greenland together.

p7SvDZl.jpg
[/IMG]

Safe travels fellas. We'll see you at OSH!

After one day of rest in Wick and some planning we set off to the airport this morning for our flight to Reykjavik - about 660 NM alltogether and 500 NM over the Atlantic Ocean. Whichever route we planned we had more headwind or a longer route. We passed abeam the Faroer Islands, not the most direct route and still had 25 kts average headwind, so a flight of almost 5 hours. We took off with 15 minutes between each other and so arrived one by one in Reykjavik. The hotels are mostly booked this time and so the prices are not favorable.
Here are some pics from today:

yPnBvbv.jpg

TXuqIhh.jpg

Preparing for the flight

1x7d1eK.jpg

Leaving Scotland

dd8OqoZ.jpg

Over the ocean

BoNUvh9.jpg

fnCGRz5.jpg

Arrived in Reykjavik, waiting for our last ship

I'm gearing up to fly to AirVenture for the first time. I plan to arrive the Friday before the event. I don't have your level of experience so I'm a bit nervous about it, but I'm doing a lot of work to make sure I'm as prepared as possible. I'll miss seeing you there, but fly safe and thanks for sharing your travels!

Hi Martin,
yes it is a pity not to be in Oshkosh this year - so may be next year.
You have chosen the right day to arrive as far as I know and the fun goes up beeing there with the own plane - enjoy. And greet my French friends when you meet them there!

Yesterday we flew from Reykjavik/Iceland to Kulusuk in Greenland. Then as a 4-ship to Nuuk. Sorry can only post the links, pics are not opening on the VAF site.

tfZ94c1.jpg

Running up the flight in Kulusuk

7kruDLn.jpg

And airborne just west of Kulusuk

On the way

You can watch Nuuk Greenland airport live on YouTube.
All 4 planes parked on the ramp. Guessing that the weather is causing a delay.

Gary

Hi Martin,
yes it is a pity not to be in Oshkosh this year - so may be next year.
You have chosen the right day to arrive as far as I know and the fun goes up beeing there with the own plane - enjoy. And greet my French friends when you meet them there!

Yesterday we flew from Reykjavik/Iceland to Kulusuk in Greenland. Then as a 4-ship to Nuuk. Sorry can only post the links, pics are not opening on the VAF site.

tfZ94c1.jpg

7kruDLn.jpg

And airborne just west of Kulusuk

Delete the "?1" at the end of the links and they will show in your post. Here are your pics, scaled to 1024 (see scaling note below):

tfZ94c1h.jpg

7kruDLnh.jpg

And airborne just west of Kulusuk[/QUOTE]

+++++++++++++++

And this: Scaling "imgur" pics: Add one of the scaling characters listed below before the ".jpg" in the image address.

Here are all the dimensions and letters to choose from:
s = Small Square (90×90)
b = Big Square (160×160)
t = Small Thumbnail (160×160)
m = Medium Thumbnail (320×320)
l = Large Thumbnail (640×640)
h = Huge Thumbnail (1024×1024)

Last edited:
Friday July 15 was foggy in Nuuk, so no flying. Luckily we could keep our rooms one more day. All the hotels are booked, this seems to be the high season here. Today in the morning same thing but the forecast ist promising. So we went to the airport, payed our fees, refueled the airplanes and filed our flight plans. Meanwhile light is visible on the horizon, the fog is lifting. The French crews are doing their Canpass thing also for entry into Canada, they are heading towards Iqualit while I am going northbound to cross the polar circle with destination Ilulisat. I was talking to an Air Greenland pilot who just landed coming from Kangerlussuaq which I will overfly halfways. He said the tops are at 2000 ft and some minor layers at around 9000 ft. 40 NM north is blue skies. All people here in Greenland at the airports are so friendly and extremely helpful. Usually we go up the tower and pay our fees there and do all the paperwork there with the staff we are talking to on the radio. I know they are not as busy as the guys in Heathrow or JFK but nevertheless they do all they can to support us and keep us going.
So my flight to Ilulisat was as expected and according the weather briefing I got from the Air Greenland pilot. North of Kangerlussuaq BGBW the rest of the morning fog cleared and I had perfect weather for my sightseeing diversions. I flew around the icebergs and as before I couldn´t resist to go lower and also do some acros. A perfect playground for me with no noise complaints so far! Yes there is some risk flying over this remote and cold water a little longer and lower than necessary but for me it´s worth it.

H5jp7Kmh.jpg

UkUdGDKh.jpg

okfNu6Gh.jpg

Right Base RWY 07 Ilulisat BGNJ

7fTSyCTh.jpg

A massive iceberg right in front of my guesthouse

Last edited:
So passed the polar circle - no bump feeled.
Ilulissat is supoer impressive from the air and ground as well. Enjoyed the views and quietness. Made a Kajak-Tour before midnight out to the ice and again had to wear a dry suit just in case.
The next day at the airprot the same Air Greenland pilot I met in Nuuk just landed when I prepared my RV-8. A helicopter pilot stationed there for some time and living near Copenhagen also showed up for a talk - met him on the radio two days before while doing sightseeing on the glacier.
I adjusted the route over the icecap to Kulusuk a little to the south and late in the day to avoid and minimize time over low stratus there. Kulusuk again had the best to offer. Super clear weather with great views.
Next morning fog in Kulusuk. A small window in the TAF became real and after a Dash-8 has landed I took off with a 10 kts tailwind into the same blue hole he just came in for his landing. At 1000 ft all was good with a smooth flight to Reykjavik for another nightstop.

EOcLKgWh.jpg

Midnight

KJ01VACh.jpg

In the morning

hMR0cdOh.jpg

CHPjodDh.jpg

Ilulissat BGJN prior departure

WzMCs1Th.jpg

Final RWY 11 Kulusuk BGKK. The village below left.

mbyO1Zxh.jpg

Fog - already some light below!

hjh6295h.jpg

The airport behind the mountain - the blue hole just behind the vertical stab.

W6XbR1eh.jpg

Approaching Reykjavik

Last edited:
Great video and pictures. I hope the rest of your trip has been as exciting and amazing as these photos were. Have a great time at AV.

Wow, great video and photos.

I work a lot in Europe and have “flight planned” a trip from Utah to the British Isles for when my BH is completed. More stops than your RV, but it would be cool to do when I am on the east side of the pond for 5 weeks like now

Now Iceland is expensive, no fun booking hotels for just a night. In Greenland the fuel is the most expensive with around $ 16 per Gallon. Auto and boat fuel is pretty cheap at around $ 2.8 per Gallon - if I only could get access to it at the airports!!
The flight back to Wick was uneventful with a good tailwind, everything was very well organized by Far North Aviation - fuel, hotel, inbound report, hotel transfer - easy going.
The flight back home, well to Mannheim EDFM for customs clearance, then to my home airfield, was the longest with 800 NM and the weather was worse than expected. Cloud base on takeoff only around 1200 ft with some drizzle but lifted enroute and cleared up. Also had some tailwind at least. The last hop only 40 min below cumulus was quite bumpy.

diUb5cwh.jpg

My RV-8 sitting at Wick EGPC airport

Se3KJwth.jpg

Low ceilings over Scotland

urWWqugh.jpg

An old bomber airfield somewhere in Great Britain

9NDoy3th.jpg

I had a satellite tracker with me again which also offers text messaging.
My wife back home was my Ops agent and sent me the Metars enroute.
Especially helpful on the long routes with no radio contact and only few alternates.

UeE6Fz3h.png

Here is a screenshot enroute at 11000 ft. My RV is not the fastest but quite efficient with this power setting. The noise comes really down with this lower RPM.

Last edited:
Awesome !!!
Magnificient scenery, love the rolls above the glaciers :cool:
Quite an adventure.

Back