What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

anyone have a (really) old set of RV-3 Plans?

flyingj

I have a very old RV3 project. The plans are marked with SN 151 and are dated 1973. I have a set of RV3-B plans (1/2 size) and have noted some differences that I am trying to deal with.

I'm pretty sure my plan set is missing some sheets, so I would like to converse with someone who has a set of plans from that era (circa 1973) , find out which ones I am missing and possibly get some copies.

I have asked Vans if I can get copies from them, but they say they don't have the orignals any more.
Thanks
Jim Frisby
Palmer AK

Early RV-3 plans

Hello Jim,
I think I have what you're looking for. They are in my hangar and I will verify that tomorrow for you. They're a little discolored from age but still very usable.
Blue skies,
Chuck

Aileron Belcrank

Lots of RV-4 parts are being substituted in the current RV-3B kits... one of which is the aileron belcrank. This drawing is an RV-1 wing and I'm curious if the aileron belcrank dimensions are the same on the original RV-3 drawings. Just throwing this out there for anyone who might have an original set and wouldn't mind verifying the dimensions. A complete set of RV-1 wing drawings can be viewed >> HERE.

RV-1%2520Wing%2520Drawings_Page_7.jpg

Last edited:
old rv3 plans

Chuck,
That would be great. The set I have is almost all blue, the lines being a darker shade than the background, so yours could hardly be worse. Let me know what you have, maybe we can figure out at least what sheets you have that I don't.
Jim

I believe those are RV-3B plans

Katie was kind enough to send me a CD of an old plan set, but they are RV3-B plans, I have made extensive use of them, but would really like to see a set of original RV3 plans from the era during which my project was purchased.
Thanks for the pointer.

old set of RV-3 plans

Hello Jim,
The plans I have are dated 1/3/73 and have an 830 serial number on them. Send me your address and I will put them in a tube and send them on to you. You can reimburse the shipping costs.
Blue skies,
Chuck

Katie was kind enough to send me a CD of an old plan set, but they are RV3-B plans, I have made extensive use of them, but would really like to see a set of original RV3 plans from the era during which my project was purchased.
Thanks for the pointer.

Yeah, most of my plans sheets were from 1984. Glad you could use them! I would love to see a set from 1973! :eek:

Last edited:
Nice to see your new signature, Katie!

"Katie Bosman
RV-3B "Tony Boy II" rebuild in progress...sloowly
Marketing & Tech Writer
GRT Avionics"

Glad to see the GRT boys recognize quality! Tony Boy II is becoming quite a road warrior!

"Katie Bosman
RV-3B "Tony Boy II" rebuild in progress...sloowly
Marketing & Tech Writer
GRT Avionics"

Glad to see the GRT boys recognize quality! Tony Boy II is becoming quite a road warrior!

I need a wall map... Lakeland, FL to Griffin, GA to Bell Buckle, TN to Yakima, WA to Wyoming, MI by way of Oshkosh. Yep... I could rename the little guy "Trailer Trash." :D God help me if he doesn't fly out of Michigan!

I have a very old RV3 project. The plans are marked with SN 151 and are dated 1973. I have a set of RV3-B plans (1/2 size) and have noted some differences that I am trying to deal with.

I'm pretty sure my plan set is missing some sheets, so I would like to converse with someone who has a set of plans from that era (circa 1973) , find out which ones I am missing and possibly get some copies.

I have asked Vans if I can get copies from them, but they say they don't have the orignals any more.
Thanks
Jim Frisby
Palmer AK

Hi Jim. I am just now re-engaging in the forum and saw your post.

I will most likely have everything you need and more. Feel free to email me at address below on details of what you are looking for and any other info you might be curious about. I have also scanned most all of the older Van's newsletters on CDROM as PDF documents along with other useful info.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Rob Reece (aka Yesterdays-3's)
RV-3 S/N 0045
[email protected]

Back