Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 06-21-2022, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chkaharyer99 View Post
Teal,

What fuel are you running?
100LL but only for tuning purposes. Switching to 91 octane pump gas. will use 100LL when I have too
Old 06-22-2022, 08:19 AM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

One of the things I find exciting about Teal’s project is that we might finally get some long-term experience with these engines. The competition STOL guys have done great with them, but don’t fly as many hours as someone with a cruising RV - so we might actually get data on how long one of these lasts in real-world aviation applications!

Please keep us informed Teal….

Paul
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 06-22-2022, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaweeka View Post
My -9A has an IO-320 at 9:1 compression, dual lightspeed and AFP injection. I'm pretty consistent at 8,000-9,000 ft 147kts TAS, 6.7 gph, and 25* LOP. 64% power.
Ok, On this mornings flight I tried to duplicate some of the other RV9 cruise flight numbers.
At 8k ft and 150KTAS it was indicating 8.9GPH. at best RPM and manifold pressure which was 6300 RPM and 35.7INHg.
At 10k ft and 150KTAS it was indicating 8.5 GPH and 6300 , 35.3INHg.
Important to note that at these cruise numbers the AFR is still only 12.9-13. so there is much leaning to go in the tune at these manifold pressures. Also we are still tweaking on the fuel flow computer calcs each flight.
Perhaps of some importance is the above numbers represents about 20MPG (no winds). At the end of the last few flights I have drained the fuel and looked at total miles covered and it averages about 21MPG. That seems pretty good considering on the 1 hour flight I climbed to at least 12kft. Yes, I get some back on the glide descent but not equal.
In the end though my goal wasnt to try to get better fuel economy than the standard aircraft engine I think they do a great job of already.
Old 06-22-2022, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teal View Post
Important to note that at these cruise numbers the AFR is still only 12.9-13. so there is much leaning to go in the tune at these manifold pressures.
Teal, do you have a form of inflight manual mixture control? How about individual EGT?
Old 06-22-2022, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Ok, On this mornings flight I tried to duplicate some of the other RV9 cruise flight numbers.
At 8k ft and 150KTAS it was indicating 8.9GPH. at best RPM and manifold pressure which was 6300 RPM and 35.7INHg.
Important to note that at these cruise numbers the AFR is still only 12.9-13. so there is much leaning to go in the tune at these manifold pressures. Also we are still tweaking on the fuel flow computer calcs each flight.
Perhaps of some importance is the above numbers represents about 20MPG (no winds). At the end of the last few flights I have drained the fuel and looked at total miles covered and it averages about 21MPG. That seems pretty good considering on the 1 hour flight I climbed to at least 12kft. Yes, I get some back on the glide descent but not equal.
In the end though my goal wasnt to try to get better fuel economy than the standard aircraft engine I think they do a great job of already.
Teal,

What is best prop RPM at those speeds/altitude?

Thank you,
Old 06-22-2022, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
Teal, do you have a form of inflight manual mixture control? How about individual EGT?
No, with the exception of switching between preset fuel maps that was built prior. I am told that I can connect a potentiometer to one of the ECU's analog inputs for a manual mixture control but I am not really interested in doing that at this point. currently I am switching between a few different tunes during flight then going back through the log with my tuner guy and making fine adjustments until we have an all around good tune. I can always switch over to a for example lean of peak tune in the future if thats what I want but I am ot sure how exactly this engine will behave lean of peak yet.
Old 06-22-2022, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chkaharyer99 View Post
Teal,

What is best prop RPM at those speeds/altitude?

Thank you,
I was kind of liking the 2200-2300 Rpm for this last flight but I have not spent to much time in the 8-9kft. Most of my time so far has been 12-15kft.
Old 06-22-2022, 06:53 PM

Quote:
I was kind of liking the 2200-2300 Rpm for this last flight but I have not spent to much time in the 8-9kft. Most of my time so far has been 12-15kft.
Great looking install! With that much MP available, I would love to hear how it performs at 17,500. My O-360 -4 does pretty good up there, but starts to fall off above 15k. I would imagine the -9 wing gets more efficient up high.
RV-8 empenage finished 10-2020

Wings Started.. 11-2020
Old 06-22-2022, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Those fuel flow numbers are not bad at all, considering. I would be very cautious about LOP operations on a turbo engine. If it was me flying that engine with the turbo performance up high on 91E10 or 93E10, I would be happy with the lower priced fuel and just run the factory tune - no sense burning a piston. I routinely see nm/gal readings of 21-23 in cruise flight, you're right in the neighborhood.
Built an off-plan RV9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Pending Repeat Offender - 10 kit is on order. TDI? Turbine? Stay tuned!
Old 06-22-2022, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltruda View Post
Great looking install! With that much MP available, I would love to hear how it performs at 17,500. My O-360 -4 does pretty good up there, but starts to fall off above 15k. I would imagine the -9 wing gets more efficient up high.
It climbs really, really good up high. But Cruise speeds are not as good as they should be. I feel that I am running out of propeller surface area, Not pitch because I can continue to increase pitch and still load the motor but increased HP is not equating to increased speed. Airmaster tells me this is the largest blades they can offer at this time. The highest that I have taken it was 15.5k and it will still climb around 1.5-2k ft per min. at 15k I think I was still able to make 44INhG manifold pressure. I am considering trying a fixed pitch propeller that performance up high. Sterna is telling me that they have a blade they want me to try. Anybody have experience with them?

Last edited by Teal : 06-22-2022 at 09:30 PM.