What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need 4 aileron gap fairing

SportAvServ

Well Known Member
I'm building an older 4 wing kit, aileron gap fairings were missing. Van's had one aileron gap fairing but I need another. There is one on back order, which means 4 to 6 months. One installed so can't use the new type, so to close the second wing I need another. It's a W-424, or on a 6 it's w-624. Will gladly buy and pay all shipping costs and can have the new one from Van's drop shipped directly when available.

IMG_6444.jpg

This sounds smart-a$$ but I'm sincere. You can "hand" form that part fairy easily. The 016 will form if you breath on it or look at it aggressively. The hardest part would be not to kink the thin material.

Brake the small radius with 2x6s and door hinges similar to attaining the final angle on the other control surface skins (ref the Geobeck videos). Use a 1/4 inch dowel to maintain that radius if desired. The large radius can be hand formed over a long piece of supported PVC. The full size view on the drawing can be used to check your work. The dims aren't super critical. Leave the sides a bit long and trim afterward; same as with the factory piece.

A local shop could easily make it if they have time. Tooling that is long enough would probably be the make/break point for most potential sources.

Anything beats being stuck. Keep us informed. Best of luck.

RV-4 aileron gap ,seal

I think I have a pair at the hangar. I'm heading out there later today and will get back to you.
Merry Christmas,
Chuck Brietigam

RV-4 aileron gap ,seal

I found two sets (four each) that are just as nice as the day they were delivered. Well, the PVC coating may be a bit of a challenge to remove by now--but! Please send me a private message with your contact information and I will send both sets to you!
Blue skies,
Chuck
PS: as for payment, just donate what you will to this website.

Last edited:
Back