What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 Canopy Ergonomics

VF84Sluggo

Well Known Member
Gents,

I owned an RV-3 many years ago. Been thinking about getting an RV again, but thinking about a -4 this time.

So, here goes: it looks to me that when Van 'stretched' the -3 to make a -4 (I'm sure there was a bit more to it), Van put two people under a -3 canopy. I say this because it looks like the Plexiglas is right in the face of the front-seat occupant, and the forward lip of the canopy meets the fuselage pretty much right at the instrument panel, no 'dash' area forward of the panel like in my -3.

Not trying to start anything, really, just curious if this "feels funny" having the canopy so close to your face. Even looks like the bill of a ballcap could bump the canopy.

Thanks,
Randy

PS I know, the best plan would be to go sit in one, but there's no RV-4's near me that I know of.

RV-4 canopy

Your sense that it's right in your face, is not really correct. The bubble is in the right place for most pilots. As far as having the top of the instrument panel unusable, you're right on that. You just compensate by making side pockets, etc.

On my RV-4, I converted it to a fastback in 2009, years after it's completion in 1992. I used a bubble designed for a Harmon Rocket by Todd's Canopies, no longer in existence. I also purchased the tops of the rear bulkheads designed for a Rocket from John Harmon. All these Harmon parts are designed for different stations than on a standard RV-4 bulkheads. That isn't a big problem. You cut most of them in half then cut out or add material to have the fastback line to coincide with the aft most bulkhead. That puts the forward limits of the bubble further from your face, but still no area to put anything on top of the instrument panel.

I still enjoy my -4 Fastback. The modification appears to add a number of knots for free.

Jake Thiessen
Independence, OR

RV4 Canopy

RC,
I didn?t find the canopy too close to my face, but the panel seemed too close, so I moved my front seat back about 2.8?. This made the back seat a little close for most people, but in my case, it?s for grandkids only, and they don?t seem to mind. Also - I added a small glareshield/dash to the underside of the canopy square tubing in the front. It provides needed sun shading for the panel, and a small place to put stuff (temporarily) when I?m flying.

Small shelf

Instead of cutting the forward canopy skin all the way forward to the bow, I only cut it to 4" from the front edge. I could have made it 6" without obstructing panel view, but I compromised with 4" after warning about sharp edge (that will get a nylon and/or rubber edging -- if I hit that the shoulder harness will have failed).

Works as sun shade and a small shelf to put stuff on.

If I change my mind once flying, a few minutes with a nibbler and grinder will take care of it.

Finn

I have a -14 and a -4as well. I never realized how close the 4 panel was until I flew the 14. They both have their pluses and minuses. The -4 is nice because everything is very easy to see and the 14 is nice because it is spacious. Kind of like children, they are all different but you love them the same. The comment about the canopy hitting the bill of a ball cap is not even close.

Didn't feel funny to me at all. Don't worry about it. They are VERY nice aircraft to be in .

I liked the sliding canopy of the RV8 for my build, but it was a lot of work to fit it to the smaller fuselage. We moved the panel ahead 2" to the bulkhead. If I were to build another -4 I'd put a fastback on it with an F1 speedslope windshield.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/x311gm4iE5a7KL898

Last edited:
Four is more...

Gents,

Not trying to start anything, really, just curious if this "feels funny" having the canopy so close to your face. Even looks like the bill of a ballcap could bump the canopy.

Thanks,
Randy

Randy,
I built my Four back in the Jurassic period when it was the highest RV number and Van still worked out of his garage in North Plains. I had never even seen a real one (RV4) as I was stationed in Japan flying F16's. I bought the tail kit sight unseen after reading an article in Kitplanes.
One of my first concerns (like you) was sitting position relative to the canopy as I too fly with a ball cap. The F16 canopy is awesome, seat placement is near perfection (so much so I still miss it!) and wanted similar in my personal airplane. What I found (like everybody else) is that the RV4 sitting position relative to the canopy it is really nice, not too close, not too far. My Rocket which I purchased (and rebuilt) later was even better, better even than the RV8.
The Four, is more in every respect...

So, I say YES, build or buy a Four, you won't be disappointed...:)
V/R
Merry Christmas!
Smokey

PS: I will say though that my Sonerai II was my favorite sport plane sitting/flying position, much like a baby Extra 300. If you could build a RV4 like this....

Last edited:
Back