What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Planning for OSH '23

rondawes

Well Known Member
Airventure 2023 will be my first time to be able to come in an RV. Other times, I've flown a Tiger or a Commander 114 in. So it will also be the first time that I can park in Home Built parking. I'm curious how that works for arriving on Wednesday? I like to come Wednesday-Sunday so I have 2 chances of seeing the night show and the big acts that are there on Friday-Saturday.

Are there parking slots available on Wednesday or are they full? Is there a separate area for RVs? Are camping and non-camping areas separate? Are there RV events that are earlier than Wednesday that I should not miss?

Thanks for the help!

Generally speaking, Wednesday is the day that lots of homebuilt start packing up and departing, so yup - plenty of holes in which to park!

...and, yes, as far as I'm concerned, the real homebuilt action is Sun-Wed.
Yes, homebuilt camping and non-camping is roughly separated, by a few feet.

Homebuilt Camping (HBC) and Homebuilt Parking (HBP) are different areas.
Is there a separate area for RVs? No
Are there RV events that are earlier than Wednesday that I should not miss? Did you see Doug's schedule for the week that was on the front page for the duration of Airventure? Probably similar for next year without the 50th anniversary events.

Does anyone on VAF happen to have any contacts at EAA? This year I tried to bring a Navy T-6A to show but was told you have to coordinate ramp space months in advance. Definitely want to get the ball rolling for 2023 now..

I arrived Thursday this year and went the entire time last year so here is my take.

Yes, there will be plenty of spots open on Wednesday. You might have to wait in a line of departures when you arrive as well depending on the runway they give you. This year early Thursday I was waiting on the ground for 51 minutes trying to get into homebuilt. :mad: Mainly because apparently warbirds getting out is the all high and mighty option to the ground crew and they stopped everything for it. If arrival traffic is light and ATC at Fisk gives you the option go for 36 L or R every time. I think 36R would be the perfect runway because it ends right at the turn that takes you to homebuilt.

Arriving midweek this year I missed virtually all of the homebuilt schedule which was kind of a bummer.

However, if the airshows are what you are mostly interested in they definitely get better later in the week.

If you plan on buying a shirt that is either small or medium that needs to be your first stop on Wednesday and hope you get lucky. Both years now I waited too long and there is usually only 12,000 XL, XXL, etc options left. lol

If you plan on buying a shirt that is either small or medium that needs to be your first stop on Wednesday and hope you get lucky. Both years now I waited too long and there is usually only 12,000 XL, XXL, etc options left. lol

That’s because most of you dimension challenged light weights usually come out depart before the big boys get there.

Does anyone on VAF happen to have any contacts at EAA? This year I tried to bring a Navy T-6A to show but was told you have to coordinate ramp space months in advance. Definitely want to get the ball rolling for 2023 now..

I just finished my third term on the Board of Directors (no longer on as of a few days ago).

I probably can put you in touch with whoever is the correct person when the time comes.

OSH aircraft

With the T-6 types I'm not sure that is true. The ramp space that is premium are the paved areas for jets as they have small wheels and tend to sink into the ground more easily. Even the jets sometimes have to be put on metal plates to prevent them from sinking into the asphalt. They all sit on closed runway 31/13 and space can be a premium. T-6 and similar aircraft including fighters are usually "in the grass" somewhere west of the runway and jets.

A good resource would be [email protected]. That will get you who you need to get in contact with.

And we almost ALWAYS have room for Warbirds down in Vintage.....;)

With the T-6 types I'm not sure that is true. The ramp space that is premium are the paved areas for jets as they have small wheels and tend to sink into the ground more easily. Even the jets sometimes have to be put on metal plates to prevent them from sinking into the asphalt. They all sit on closed runway 31/13 and space can be a premium. T-6 and similar aircraft including fighters are usually "in the grass" somewhere west of the runway and jets.

A good resource would be [email protected]. That will get you who you need to get in contact with.

And we almost ALWAYS have room for Warbirds down in Vintage.....;)

Roadjunkie1, Photo01 is seeking parking for a Beechcraft T-6A Texan II.

Maybe I'm mistaken but it sounds like you're suggesting parking for vintage North American T-6 Texan (SNJ).

T-6A.jpg

SNJ.jpg

Airventure 2023 will be my first time to be able to come in an RV. Other times, I've flown a Tiger or a Commander 114 in. So it will also be the first time that I can park in Home Built parking.

Don't forget to bring that replacement rudder! :eek:

Ducking and running....

-Marc

T-6 vs T-6A

Roadjunkie1, Photo01 is seeking parking for a Beechcraft T-6A Texan II.

Maybe I'm mistaken but it sounds like you're suggesting parking for vintage North American T-6 Texan (SNJ).

You are exactly right, Dad's, and I was exactly wrong! :rolleyes:Well, almost. The contact information would still be the EAA address and, if that fails, I would be able to provide other sources. The T-6A would be better on the asphalt. :p

Don't mean to hi-jack, but thought this question might be relevant to others flying in for the first time...

When are basic amenities, such as bathrooms, showers (and maybe food) available on the field for home-built campers?

I'd like to arrive the Saturday before the show starts (July 22nd), and we intend to camp until the show ends, likely leaving the day after.

Thanks!

Don't mean to hi-jack, but thought this question might be relevant to others flying in for the first time...

When are basic amenities, such as bathrooms, showers (and maybe food) available on the field for home-built campers?

I'd like to arrive the Saturday before the show starts (July 22nd), and we intend to camp until the show ends, likely leaving the day after.

Thanks!

You will be good getting there on Saturday. A lot of food options may not be open yet but just walk out the north 40 gate, cross the street and there are many food options. I got there Saturday on my first trip and it was fine. Lots of people already coming in.

Thanks!

In HBC, there are shower trailers, a latrine trailer (with RV type flush toilets), and porta-potties. There's a real nice pavilion with charging stations, picnic tables, and grills. Next to the pavilion is a place where you can buy ice.

This link has more details. https://www.eaa.org/airventure/plan...trip/eaa-camping-and-lodging/airplane-camping

There's a camp store in North 40 not too far away from HBC that you can buy basic food and sundry items, plus food venues on the grounds (but the options will be sparse on the weekend before the show). The good news is the Homebuilt Welcome Wagon provides a taxi service that can help you get around the grounds to the various stores, bus shuttle stops, and the to the perimeter gates where you can walk to restaurants and grocery stores. The number will be published as we get closer to the show.

The most important thing though is -- get and read the NOTAM!

There are 3 shower trailers in HBC and they are all available for use by Saturday. Every porta potty in HBC is also available for use. The coffee will be ready by 0600 every day in the HBC pavillion. Bagged ice is also for sale next to the pavillion.
On-field food is n/a until Monday and the EAA strongly discourages us from entering the airport grounds because the exhibitors and vendors are still setting things up.
As mentioned above, there are plenty of restaurants within walking distance just outside the northwest corner of the airport. The HBC welcome wagons and the North 40 school bus can drop you off at that location.
Bring at least 3 pairs of your most comfortable broke-in shoes.

On-field food is n/a until Monday and the EAA strongly discourages us from entering the airport grounds because the exhibitors and vendors are still setting things up.

Mostly correct. There are a couple of the burger places open on the weekends, but wouldn’t count on those as primary sources of sustenance. Also the only part of the grounds totally off limits are the hangars. You can still walk around most of the grounds but the vendors will not be open.

I’m a welcome wagon driver and will post the number once I’m sure they haven’t changed it. It’s normally the same year to year, but don’t want to be presumptuous. The wagons should be up and running, albeit with maybe only 1 or 2 wagons vs the normal 4, that Friday before the show.

Last edited:
Mostly correct. There are a couple of the burger places open on the weekends. Also the only part of the grounds totally off limits are the hangars. You can still walk around most of the grounds but the vendors will not be open.

I’m a welcome wagon driver and will post the number once I’m sure they haven’t changed it. It’s normally the same year to year, but don’t want to be presumptuous. The wagons should be up and running, albeit with maybe only 1 or 2 wagons vs the normal 4, that Friday before the show.

And, thank you for your service! The welcome wagon is a life saver sometimes.

Motorhome or larger camp trailer

I have an RV reservation (impossible to get now) at a private home just outside the tower gate. Looking to connect with someone who has an RV to share. I'll pay for parking, you put me up for 5 nights. Thanks, Ron

Back