What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

pop rivet dust

Rocktaupo

I'm New Here
Maybe some of the old hands could help here:

I see "dust" around the heads of some pop rivets on preflight. White painted fuselage. It looks a bit like soot. The rivets are tight - no movement at all.

Anybody encountered this?

Pop rivets

They may seem tight but there’s some movement going on. Remember when you test them they are not under stress. Also temperature change can cause them to get loose, and then tighten up when on the ground. Best to replace them. Smoking rivets only get worse ie… larger diameter holes.

RD

"Smoking Rivet"

Welcome to the "smoking rivet" club ! There are few planes flying that don't have one somewhere. Only real way to stop them is replace with a larger rivet, and if possible use a Cherrymax, which is the premier blind/pull rivet solution. Its taboo to call them "pop rivets". If they are smoking, they are moving and making the hole larger slowly but surely.

I don't have any smoking rivets at 1000 hrs. before paint I applied green wicking loctite to each rivet head with a q-tip, yep, each one!

the idea is that at the micro level, metal to metal contact is not exact, even for rivets. perhaps the wicking loctite is filling micro gaps. my rivets are definitely not perfect.

Last edited:
Will the green locktite help my fuel tank paint blisters?

before paint, I had a weeping rivet, I tried the green loctite but it didn't help. I then switched to the thinned proseal injection method and it worked. no further weeping since the past 5 years and I don't have any paint blisters.

Back