- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-18-2022, 11:45 AM

Default torque wrenches

I found that buying a new foot-pound Kobalt torque wrench at Lowe's each spring is the cheapest and quickest way to comply with AC43.13-1B. The wrench comes with a certificate of calibration and saves me the time and hassle of shipping it off for re calibration. As a reminder:AC 43.13-1B, 7-40. TORQUES

The importance of correct torque application cannot be overemphasized. Undertorque can result in unnecessary wear of nuts and bolts, as well as the parts they secure. Overtorque can cause failure of a bolt or nut from overstressing the threaded areas. Uneven or additional loads that are applied to the assembly may result in wear or premature failure. The following are a few simple, but important procedures, that should be followed to ensure that correct torque is applied. …

Calibrate the torque wrench at least once a year, or immediately after it has been abused or dropped, to ensure continued accuracy.

Although the regulation only requires “accepted industry practices” be used, the advisory circular explains that the FAA interprets that to mean that all torque wrenches, force gauges, and other tools should be calibrated annually.

Chuck
RV-6XXL
Old 01-21-2022, 09:57 AM

Default CDI 752LDINSS

Let the torqueing begin!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5105.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	405.9 KB
ID:	21274  
Currently working on the tailcone
2022 Dues Paid

Photos of build progress here.
Old 01-27-2022, 10:10 AM

Default FAT Wrench

For smaller fasteners, I have found my Wheeler Engineering FAT Wrench to be of great use. Alternate source here...
In places where a small screwdriver will fit and a classic torque wrench won't, it's indispensible, and I find myself using it quite a bit all over the airframe. It comes with a certificate of calibration from the factory and can be calibrated as needed.
Old 05-03-2022, 07:40 AM

Default Hey Moderator...

This one should be in Tools.

Done!

- RV10, N762G, Build in progress.
- Several others that are now just great memories for me.

Last edited by rv7boy : 05-10-2022 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Moved to Tools forum.