What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Avionics cooling fans

Jcurry

Well Known Member
Hey Guys,
I was wondering if anyone can recommend a brand of cooling fan that moves a lot of air and and also has the same footprint as the ones called out for in the plans. My fans work ok and I'm not having any overheat issues. I just want a little more flow if I can get it....

As always, thank you.

Try my favorite PC component supplier: https://www.newegg.com/Case-Fans/SubCategory/ID-573?Tid=7998

I don't have actual mfg part # for Van's "ES CPU FAN" -- so I don't know the physical size or its CFM.. Maybe you can post that here, as I might be interested in some options too.

Just remember that the wiring to those fans is only 22 gauge.

You're absolutely limited to 5A (the START/TRIM fuse) total for both fans, and the GMC307 autopilot control head, and the elevator trim electronics -- so don't go too overboard.

Last edited:
You're absolutely limited to 5A (the START/TRIM fuse) total for both fans, and the GMC307 autopilot control head, and the elevator trim electronics -- so don't go too overboard.

Rob, I suspect on a 2011 RV-12, that 5amp fuse just supplies the rear facet fuel pump and these cooling fans. Could always tap into the Pwr Outlet 5amp fuse to be safe for "MAGA fans" I guess.

I replaced my OD8025-12HSS (12v, 242mA, 40 CFM) fans with Bgears b-Blaster 80 (12v, 340mA, 60CFM) last night with good success.

The new fan is a 2 ball bearing fan vs a sleeve bearing, which is a better product. I can't tell you how many cheap computer fans I've seen just die with the classic 'death rattle/grind'.

For about 100mA (or with both fans, 200mA total) more power, I am not concerned about the extra current draw. The extra air movement is easily measurable. If you factor in the airflow restriction from the RV12's instrument shelf's fan cutouts.. I'm not sure how much of that extra 20 cfm is realized.. but it can't hurt I guess.

When I get some time, I want to make a circuit that will take the tachometer wire (3rd wire) from these fans and convert it to a signal that the G3X can use to display a on-screen warning.

I'll have a short video posted tonight on this.

I'm a big "fan" of Noctua as well. Their fans would be significantly quieter and have a longer service life. Unfortunately for this size, Noctua's highest rated fan has lower air flow and static pressure than the existing fan.

I think the biggest restriction to increased air flow is the holes drilled for air to pass through. Just looking at pictures around half of the area is blocked. If someone really wanted to increase airflow, this could be opened up and replaced by a more traditional fan guard.

Back