What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The vendors that support this community rock

Desert Rat

Well Known Member
Just a quick story that I'd like to share;

In my never-ending quest to find a bargain, I bought a set of FlyLED nav lights that had never been installed from somebody here on VAF a couple of years ago. It's "The Original" kit.

I put them together, gave them a trial power up on the bench (super cool!) and put them on the shelf.

A month or so ago, I started doing avionics and electrical stuff on the fuselage and discovered that the circuit board from "The Original" kit allowed for the strobes to have a wigwag function, which I don't really need since garmin is going to be wigwagging the heck out of the landing lights.

But wait...On the FlyLED website, there's a slightly different board for "The Works" that feeds power into pin 9 and causes the strobes to turn solid at 33% power for wingtip taxi floods that can be used in conjunction with the main taxi lights. Sure would be cool to have that...

That board isn't priced individually on the FlyLED site, just part of the whole kit, so I emailed Paul at FlyLED to see if he would sell me just that circuit board to marry with my used lights.

Within 24 hours he had emailed me back to tell me that there was no need to replace the entire circuit board, just swap out the chip on the board with the one I wanted.

He also proactively told me that he could include a new chip with a shipment of product that he was sending to Blake at Flyboy Accessories, so that Blake could forward it on to me and save me the shipping from Australia. The caveat was that his shipment wasn't going out immediately and it would likely be a couple of weeks.

I had purchased the Supertracks mod from Flyboy probably a year ago, so I had dealt with them before and am in their database, but it's not like I'm on a first name basis or anything. I made a mental note to reach out to Flyboy to explain why this random part was showing up from Australia with my name on it, coordinate covering the postage cost, give them my mailing address, stuff like that.

Of course life got in the way and I didn't get around to it as soon as I had planned, but low and behold, a couple of weeks later, a package from Flyboy showed up in my mailbox with the new chip, and new plastic standoffs for the board.

FlyLED could have easily (and fairly) upsold me a new circuit board, Especially since he didn't even make a buck off me to start with.

Flyboy didn't have to take time out of their day to proactively look up my address to send me this random part that they also didn't make any money on. Heck, they even covered postage.

So there you have it. This is what outstanding customer service looks like.

Back