What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rough fields and RV8s

tentoes

Hello:
I am new to this cool site and if my question has already been posed, then my apologies and please point me in the right direction. I am an older guy just now getting back into flying after a long hiatus and the RV8 has really caught my eye, especially with the bigger engines and the ability to do 200 mph at altitude has really got my interest.

One question I have is how robust is the landing gear on an RV8 (or other Vans as well)? I understand that the tires are only about 4 or 5 inches in diameter and I have been entertaining the idea of taking trips to places like the Alvord desert (in Southeastern Oregon) and other such spots where no airport exists.

It may be a vague question, but how robust is the gear on an RV like the -8?

Thanks for all of the insight!

Wow these are great discussions….if I am not mistaken, these posts concern the RV-8 and not the RV-8a with the tricycle gear….or am I wrong. I am looking at the -8a a lot because of my fear of ground loops….

Look up "Vlad" on here

Take a look at the travels and posts by Vlad on VAF..he and his RV9A have been on some pretty extreme A model adventures. Dont let the ground-loop worry you..that fear can be overcome with a bit of training and confidence.

I pretty routinely fly my RV-8 off of dirt and grass strips. Some rougher than the Alvord desert. I'm very confident that the -8 would land there just fine.

I do use bigger tires than standard. 380-150x5 rather than the standard 500x5. The bigger tire is about an inch bigger in diameter and about an inch wider. It still fits inside the standard wheel pant.

...the RV8 has really caught my eye, especially with the bigger engines and the ability to do 200 mph at altitude has really got my interest.
One question I have is how robust is the landing gear on an RV8 (or other Vans as well)?

Short answer...the 8A nose gear is not robust, and the RV8A typically has a CG very far forward when solo, in particular given an angle valve installation with metal prop. I flew a friend's angle valve 8A about 60 hours years ago, and the combo would be way down my list of rough field RV's.

If you must have a nose wheel, look for a 9A with 320 and a light fixed pitch prop (like the aforementioned Vlad the Unstoppable), or a 10, or 14A.

Short answer...the 8A nose gear is not robust, and the RV8A typically has a CG very far forward when solo, in particular given an angle valve installation with metal prop. I flew a friend's angle valve 8A about 60 hours years ago, and the combo would be way down my list of rough field RV's.

If you must have a nose wheel, look for a 9A with 320 and a light fixed pitch prop (like the aforementioned Vlad the Unstoppable), or a 10, or 14A.

There is the new, improved nosewheel system now from Vans. A switch to that would be a big improvement in ruggedness of any tricycle gear RV-6,7,8,9. (EDIT: Sorry, it appears the new improved nose wheel system is only available for the RV-7a and -9a? Looking at Vans SL-19-04-30. Would be nice if they also introduced the same improvement for the -8A -- call Van's and ask)

That doesn't solve the nose-heavy issue though. Put the battery in the back, and anything else heavy.

Last edited:
There is the new, improved nosewheel system now from Vans. A switch to that would be a big improvement in ruggedness of any tricycle gear RV-6,7,8.
That doesn't solve the nose-heavy issue though. Put the battery in the back, and anything else heavy.

The new nose gear is only for the 6A, 7A and 9A. (and is standard on the 10A and 14A). Not available for the 8A. If you build an 8A light, the CG isn't far forward (mine is in the middle of the range when solo.) This does make it harder to load large passengers. The 8A leg has different geometry than the 6,7,9 so the change won't fit:

https://www.vansaircraft.com/2019/06/new-engine-mount-and-nose-gear-option-for-rv-7a-and-rv-9a-finish-kits/

Because of the reputation I've restricted my 8A to pavement so far. From what I've seen of Alovard Desert or the Ibex hardpan I'd be Ok with taking it to those but not anything much rougher.

Regarding tailwheels, despite the claims of so many, they really aren't hard to fly. The directional instability isn't much harder than riding a bike at slow speed. You can learn it. The poor visibility on the ground is the part I don't like. Find a way to sit in a few and see what you think.

Many RV-8As fly off grass strips, dry lakebeds, and similar surfaces all the time. Maintaining aft elevator while operating on the ground and ensuring the aircraft configuration doesn't create a forward-CG are helpful.

The difference between a parallel and angle-valve IO-360 for example can make a significant difference, as can prop choice in combination with the engine. An angle-valve, 4 cylinder engine with a metal constant speed prop and a heavy battery on the firewall is the most likely forward-CG scenario. You can choose a lighter prop, lighter engine, and locate the battery aft (decisions like this are made in combination while building or adjusting). In addition, with only one person seated in the forward seat position, plus the ability to spread loads between the front and rear baggage compartments, you can pretty easily adjust your load to avoid forward CG configuration - even more so than a side-by-side RV a lot of the time.

The Alvord Desert is really not an issue (assuming the lake bed is dry, of course). It's essentially a dusty, hard-surface landing surface. And it's an amazing place to go fly!

And we're just up the road from ya, so feel free to drop by sometime.

Regarding tailwheels, despite the claims of so many, they really aren't hard to fly.... The poor visibility on the ground is the part I don't like. Find a way to sit in a few and see what you think.

When I was deciding which RV to buy (basically trying to decie between the 7 and t 8) my main concern was the visibility over the nose. You have full visibility in the 8 where as in the 7 you don't, so you can forget about that issue.

I also flew my RV8 exclusively on grass and even switched to the bigger tires for a while, but then switched them back to the original size because on my runway (smooth & flat) there was no difference noticed.

Remember that Vne is a function of true airspeed of RVs, so at higher altitudes the indicated Vne drops. If you're thinking of 200 mph indicated, that will be a concern.

Dave

Thank you Greg! When I do drop by, I will be sure and be on my best behavior while I’m there! :)
Seriously though I thank you for the offer and I would love to see the place where they all start….by the way, what does an RV8 quickbuild kit run for nowadays? You can just post a link instead of volunteering numbers if it’s considered a little rude…..

Back