What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

iPad for the rear seater?

moespeeds

Well Known Member
Friend
I searched the forum but only found some older threads on this. Could I install an iPad for the rear seater, and have it linked to the data hotspot on my iPad up front to run foreflight? I'd need two foreflight subs I'd assume. I'm new to iPads and foreflight so bear with me here.

Best secure mounting option?

As I recall, John Stahr has this setup in his RV8.

Not sure how he is sending data to the ipad.

I have not tested it, but Foreflight has a feature called "passenger" that will share what you see on the main ipad with another ipad or iphone - and you don't have to pay for a second subscription.

There are a million ipad mounting options and the RV-8 pilot seatback weldement provides a good mount point.

https://www.arkon.com

These guys have a lot of mounts and they are pretty cheap. I figured I'd start with one of theirs to find the right way to do it, and if it does not hold well enough, I'll buy the more expensive RAM mount. So far, the mount I have for the front is fine, so I'll probably use them for the rear.

Good luck!

Dual iPad

Yes, you can absolutely run two iPads with ForeFlight. It only requires one subscription, as a single subscription allows for a backup device (plus and iPhone I think). I’m not entirely sure what you mean by data hub connection….. if you mean connection to a stratus, that will work and feed both devices with ads-b.

I’m not sure if the devices will crossfill route changes and such though. I believe that requires a live internet connection but I’m of 100% sure. Maybe someone else has tried that and can comment….

Yes, you can absolutely run two iPads with ForeFlight. It only requires one subscription, as a single subscription allows for a backup device (plus and iPhone I think). I’m not entirely sure what you mean by data hub connection….. if you mean connection to a stratus, that will work and feed both devices with ads-b.

I’m not sure if the devices will crossfill route changes and such though. I believe that requires a live internet connection but I’m of 100% sure. Maybe someone else has tried that and can comment….

It doesn’t require an internet connection as long as both devices are on the same network, like the uAvionix or Stratux network. Works great with updates. We use it all the time to update flight plans.

I installed a mount on the back of the front seat of my -4 so I can hang an iPad mini running Foreflight. I did this to better engage my kids while flying with them. The system has worked well so far and the kids like to see where we are and like to identify traffic for me.

I have plans to install a wireless AHRS of some sort so I can take advantage of the attitude information Foreflight can display, again to get the kids more involved.

I tried the Foreflight Passenger, but find using the 2nd (free) Foreflight subscription to be better. The photos below show the mount and the installed iPad. The stick misses the iPad by an inch or so.

Good luck,

Dean

Attachments

• IMG_0202.jpg
    IMG_0202.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 500
  • IMG_0203.jpg
    IMG_0203.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 422
My wish is that ForeFlight or Garmin Pilot would allow air data to be shared from a G3X to an iPad. I.E. the iPad would display indicated airspeed and altitude as a repeater of the PFD, vice GPS derived information. Seems all the required components are there, just a software design that ties it all together.

Me too !!

My wish is that ForeFlight or Garmin Pilot would allow air data to be shared from a G3X to an iPad. I.E. the iPad would display indicated airspeed and altitude as a repeater of the PFD, vice GPS derived information. Seems all the required components are there, just a software design that ties it all together.

Could the video feed from Garmin somehow be configured for this .....I know NOTHING about this stuff ...so forgive if that is an unbelievably stupid question

Dean,

This is amazing! For those of us that don't have access to a 3D printer...any chance you'd be willing to sell one of these :D

Thanks,
TJ

Hi TJ,

I've been struggling with my 3-D printer for weeks. Just for fun, I tried to print the adapter, and for reasons I don't yet understand, it printed fine. You are welcome to this piece for the price of postage. One caveat though, I'm only set-up to print with PLA filament. It's not as robust as some filaments, though it has proven fine for this application in my plane. Send my your mailing info and I will drop this in the mail early next week. Now, I have to figure out why some print while others don't...

Regards,

Dean

This is an older thread but FYI, the iLevil 3AW has Pitot/Static input along with serial engine data input from the GRT EIS 4000. This information, along with traffice and weather is fed via wifi to an iPad. Foreflight can display the traffice and weaher. Levil Aviation has an app that will display the Indicated Airspeed and Pressure Altitude along with engine parameters like RPM/MAP/OilT/OilPress/EGT/CHT.

We used this setup for the trip to Oshkosh.

NOTE to GRT 66R users ... It ONLY works with the 4000, NOT the 66R (ask me how I know :) )

There is a vendor called Guardian Avionics I saw at Oshkosh they have a solution to display information pulled from EFIS (including air data) and EM and display it on their app on iPad

Also Fly OnSpeed I think they have open source Raspberry Pi solution to pull the data from common EFIS's and display it on HUDs or any other type of display's

Back