What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What did you do with your RV this weekend? (5/15/21 - 5/16/21)

Saville

Well Known Member
Flew XC to Syracuse to visit my mother and sister whom I haven't seen in over 2 years. Just a day trip - flew out (~1.5 hours) stayed a while and flew back.

The fabulous performance of the RV-8 makes a day trip like this (237nm one way) possible.

Just took advantage of the relaxation in quarantine rules in both New York State and Massachusetts.

Flew down to KSUZ to pick up Loki (60 lb Husky) for his journey to Cleveland as a part of a Pilots N Paws mission. I think he's the largest dog I've had in my -8, but he was a good boy.

IMG_1173.JPG

With a whole mess of help, got the second Pmag installed this weekend and am now troubleshooting a GRT issue. And an ADS-B Out issue....

Took my first long trip in the RV to Williston ND to pick up some parts for a broke down semi. Write up to come.

Installed my RAM mount for the iPad. So far I like it!

Attachments

• IMG_0751.jpg
    IMG_0751.jpg
    341.9 KB · Views: 282
  • IMG_0754.jpg
    IMG_0754.jpg
    305.6 KB · Views: 358
Flew the wife to see her sister in Shreveport, 9 1/2 drive turned into a smidge over 2 hours each way with the help of a tailwind burning 33 gallons for the entire trip. She requested a night flight there and I obliged.

IMG_1408_HEIC-L.jpg

Got to see some airplanes on base at KBAD.

IMG_1413_HEIC-L.jpg

Can't forget the food....

IMG_1424_HEIC-L.jpg

IMG_1418_HEIC-L.jpg

IMG_1421_HEIC-L.jpg

Stigler, OK for fuel and Wx check on the way home.

IMG_1439_HEIC-L.jpg

Shooting for a window in the Tstorms on the way home, almost made it without deviating but a couple cells popped up right on the approach course. Deviated mostly visual around the cells and ended up finding a nice hole on a 3 mile base leg to cancel IFR and land VFR.

IMG_1444_HEIC-L.jpg

IMG_1446_HEIC-L.jpg

IMG_1449_HEIC-L.jpg

Apparently she trusts the pilot....

IMG_1434_HEIC-L.jpg

Dropped the cowl and started an oil change so she'll be ready for the next adventure!

Logged 2.5 more hours of night.

All the pics with captions:
https://dougreeves.smugmug.com/Fly-outs/Night-flight-May-13-2021/

Flew around Fort Worth, over DFW airport, downtown Dallas and more (last Thursday night).

13.4 more hours to go for 100 (needed for the ATP).

Selected samples:

[ed. Saville, thanks for starting the thread this weekend. I was in the part time sim earning Green Stamps. v/r,dr]

IMG_3335_HEIC-X3.jpg

IMG_3329_HEIC-L.jpg

IMG_3346_HEIC-L.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Took a sunset flight which was delightful! Of course the pictures never do it justice.

Attachments

• sunset on lake from 66AP.jpg
    sunset on lake from 66AP.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 246
Another addiction!

My RV is a 10 and only an empennage at this point.

However, a super guy met me at Hanford Muni south of Fresno for the EAA fly-in and breakfast.

He suggested I wait on the breakfast until after taking me in his absolutely amazing RV4.

WOW, unbelievable fun doing aerobatics !!!

Is it too much to say that it was one of the most enjoyable experiences of my life??

Wing-overs, barrel rolls, loops, aileron rolls, etc....

Totally hooked !! Anybody want to sell an RV8???? Seriously.

Bakersfield EAA fly in

Actually got to go someplace this weekend, now that we are all fully vaccinated. My daughter and I got a late start because the weather was pretty crummy along the coast. The "May Gray" overcast was gone from Ramona around 10am and we took off headed North. We skirted around the LA Basin on our way to Bakersfield for the EAA chapter 71 fly-in. We landed just as a 6 ship formation of Rockets did an overhead break. This is the home of the Harmon Rocket and there were many.

Photos are here.

We met up with Brian (RV-4) and Ethan (RV-10). Had a nice lunch for $5, then took off back to home. Return flight was a bit more direct, since the overcast had turned into a mostly broken cloud layer. I guess I really need to pull the trigger on getting the RV-9A IFR equipped along with getting my Instrument Rating!

Flew down to Central Oregon and on the way home wanted to take photos of Mt. St. Helens. I am happy to report that it is not as active as in years past. I was tempted to do a roll over the top and take photos up thru the top of the canopy. Sanity prevailed and I got some good shots thru the side. 12,500' westbound.

51183141892_86d4543f3a_z.jpg

51184044338_04bfcfc9b6_z.jpg

Mt Saint Helens

thanks for the photo. I sent it to my wife. we tried to get there May 7th but the roads had too much snow. we had spent the previous week hiking the Olympic National Forest and soaking at Sol Duc.

Last edited:
Finished the rudder and elevator tips. Now it’s time to do the HS SB. Then finish the VS/HS tips.

I'm told it was beautiful flying weather here in Alberta this weekend. Can't attest to how it looked - I was wearing foggles for most of my flight yesterday. Went out with a 8500 hour helicopter pilot acting as my safety pilot and added 1.3 hours of simulated IMC. Just about halfway to my required hours for my instrument rating.

Flew to NYC KTEB

After receiving vaccination, I flew my 6A to NYC for some personal business. It was my first time flying into such busy airspace. I chose KTEB and the price at Meridian was surprisingly affordable. I have a picture of the final approach to rwy 19 with NYC skyline in the back, and a picture of my little 6A among all the big boys.

Attachments

• Snipaste_2021-05-16_21-51-17.jpg
    Snipaste_2021-05-16_21-51-17.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_4282.jpg
    IMG_4282.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:
Was planning on a flight to Bakersfield but it looked like the locals were going to be weather-grounded so we went to Camarillo for breakfast instead. Later I went up with my instructor to do "holding procedures" for IFR currency.

Today we took our grand son for an IFR breakfast flight. It was busy with a high overcast but we got lots of cloud-time.

-Marc

Robbie flight.jpeg

Last edited:
Some people are flying others are on the ground working on the plane. I decided todo a full panel upgrade. All full dynon suite w/ HDX's with avidyne IFD 440.
By the way, soon I will be selling everything that i removed from my panel

Attachments

• IMG_2300.jpg
    IMG_2300.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_4800.jpg
    IMG_4800.jpg
    331.4 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_4815.jpg
    IMG_4815.jpg
    394.7 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_4900.jpg
    IMG_4900.jpg
    595.5 KB · Views: 214
Yesterday I was flying for work, so couldn't make it to Bakersfield. But today, we had an errand to do up in the Burbank area, so around 3:30 PM we flew up to KBUR, spent a few hours there, and then flew back to the hangar.

Unusually crummy weather in SoCal today... a bit of rain, but mostly just an overcast layer around 2000', lower earlier. No icing, with the freezing levels approaching 10,000'. We filed IFR both ways, and climbed up top, and broke out by around 5,000' and had a nice flight to & from. Two GPS approaches, and a fun afternoon of flying!

EAA Chapter 194 at PTK had our first Pancake Breakfast (and second Hangar Walk) on Saturday. Lots of RVs in attendance as well as other very interesting aircraft. Leo and Ginny Knowlden did a great job providing the pancakes, sausage and coffee... and showcasing their RV-10. Other hangar tours included Ted Gauthier, Terry Kohler, Dave Pohl, Mike Lord, Brendon Van Thomme, myself, Curt Martin, Harry Manvel, Bob Redner, DCT Aviation and others.
ACtC-3eOkNzvPd7XXqd66EibwFqZuU6HxwP-lDox6LLLJ_4J_f6QgaNdq_6cB2blWaD988ZSn-tNaqNYMij9AqFG9TRJkk6yvbK5LVNwmJFS93hNsScGdP9XppkqXYsFhi6MSs0nLZxnx4P2RZQc1lQYsaTy=w900-h600

ACtC-3e5_oXTFcWrOirCe0hk94vsf69i-Iblrt7Nj-wkwUhMU6RECo2PJY2fdt9TNPgZKQn4bIB2cCXTbciVprbInT5TCsr-qi91rkvh4JjSQ7lgMkFvmKMXOWr13Lg5BETR6FXKDd8UNI5v1As57RM0ofk_=w900-h600

ACtC-3casEdT-UIBFEjxIHwEx3uxcivgcwL4uRvAQcKbtl2gSsA6lOM39IR-Cy_TQmwCzPM7lwaIj3Fw9vLzApYQpstXnkgvrkGtbrLRnMJ7kCT2ajM0Yr-5YBBm3ffZjRvqB9mVtmerUO8IUQQ8yK6dfwjF=w900-h600

ACtC-3f1_wednv124ZqsDBYZP7poNtjAoM5jvKRstscc5O1FLdOgV-LYKId78CD2CTBkOckWt7hW477b2Lz0TfMGZOyhxMdpQp2MzvgIF6cBFuTfWaynMlgwMc9VkhpqEbBZ6cLtX0EgA9odxkR_aFFFYwG8=w900-h600

ACtC-3e6haYJQh5j2AarYAw82KlJRXu8pSuQzHSwDau7FPKw1DA8L7-dPBxPrWR4yrxx6TRCqluFevKpTkDFYKe7gD3_WplniwWRzT6WJMuUrSsX1yF8WgWtb4Erj-LC7BTRMAJjbBXIhJrP8ltCsvsjc2Ij=w900-h600

Correction: 5 Rockets and an RV-8. :cool: I flew the fastest formation flight of my life with John Harmon in the mix. Great fly-in, and formation flying with people who actually keep it fun! ;)

What's the formation flight speed?

Slowest plane's max speed minus how many knots ?

Dog Leg to Final

Gave our Lewellyn Setter Pup "Lucy" her first RV6X ride, REX goggs and Earmuffs installed!
She liked it!
V/R
Smokey

Great picture Smokey

Smokey
I love that picture of her paw on your shoulder.

Great picture buddy

Thanks for sharing it.

Darren Kerns
RV7 N599DT

After flying around for the past 58 years, logged my 20,000th hour taking the grandkids flying!!

Attachments

• D66C46FF-EA70-4973-8721-CA06F36F21A7.jpg
    D66C46FF-EA70-4973-8721-CA06F36F21A7.jpg
    547.2 KB · Views: 224
Formation training

Flew formation training with the B2Osh guys. The Beechcraft guys graciously accepted me into their formation training course this weekend. Good times

Attachments

• CEFA8D27-DC65-4139-B36D-D47A16E481EA.jpg
    CEFA8D27-DC65-4139-B36D-D47A16E481EA.jpg
    444.7 KB · Views: 227
Mt St Helens

Fun to see a Pic of the volcano today on the 41st anniversary. Remember it like it was last week...

I was on Fairchild AFB at the time. I was riding my bike around on the Tarmac during the open house air show when we found out what had happened. They stopped the airshow right before the SR-71 was about to take off.

Thanks for the great pictures!

Back