What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Red dot on tire

N29945

Now I need a word from the experts, I have watched a couple of utube videos on changing the main gear tires on an RV 6A, you might have guessed there are two ways to position the đź”´ red dot and the valve stem, one says align the red dot with the valve stem, the other says to put the red dot 180 degrees from the valve stem, the logic here being the red dot is the heavy point on the tire, put the extra weight of the valve stem 180 degrees from the heavy spot on the tire, and presto the tire is balanced, however it seems most mechanics disagree with this procedure as does Vans construction manual.

Jim Skinner
Exempt but dues in this case are a good investment
RV6A
RV6 regrettably sold

The red dot is supposed to be the lightest spot on the tire, that’s why you align it with the valve stem.

Or the Mark on the Tube

Once upon a time, aircraft inner tubes came with a balance mark on them and we’d line that up with the red dot. No mark on the tube, then put the valve stem on the red dot. The mark was a rectangular box with an arrow and the word bal or balance.

I’m truly amazed by some of these facetious answers and the responses to them.

I hope my head doesn’t explode.

Red Dot đź”´

Thank for the clarification, I have mounted two tires with the red dots lined up with the valve stem.....
Landing on the red dot does not even deserve a response......

This is a perfect example of how much bad information you can find on the internet (especially you tube!)

Like others have said, the red spot is the lightest and should be aligned with the valve stem. I suppose there might be exceptions to this, but I'm not aware of them.

Thats not just my opinion. Bridgestone and Dunlop share it.

Feel good Red dot where?

I may be wrong as I have been before GOD knows.
But 45 or so years we had this argument about the red dot on car tires. We worked in the same repair shop. So, my brother and I took three new tires and mounted them a number of different positions on the same rim. Then used both a spin balancer and or bubble balancer on them. Even back then the balancing was almost the same no matter where the dot was placed. But, there was a difference. We concluded that it didn't cost anything to put the dot on the stem. Who knows???
Fast forward to current life.
I have a $12,000.00 electronic wiz bang balancer and a good tire changer. I can tell you a few months back my son and I did the same test on an aluminum wheel and some new tires for our race cars.
We found no difference in the balancing of assemblies no matter where the dot was placed. front or back.
I think the tire companies are just screwing with us by putting the dots on the tires. They sure don't take every tire and check for a lighter side. Way to much work!!!!!
Go to your local tire store and see if they pay attention to the little dot. NOPE not even on my truck tires when I used to have them do it.
Oh ya I still line up the dot. Just for the %@#%@ and giggles of it. Cause if you ever have a leaker and remove the tire for a patch you can leave the weights on and still maintain balance. If you don't knock them off with the changer machine
My three cent worth. Art

Back