What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What thickness Alum for Avionics Shelf between Panel and Subpanel?

Bungalow Al

Greetings all,

I am starting to lay out my panel avionics and how I am going to mount them. Working with the great folks at SteinAir. I am going to use a hinged drop down shelf for some components.

What I need to determine is what thickness aluminum sheet I should order to create it out of?

Any suggestions....?

TIA

I think I used 0.32" but I also added a stiffener on the bottom of the skinny ones. The bus tray was stiff enough with the fuse blocks attached.

Attachments

• bus-tray.jpg
    bus-tray.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 461
  • trays.jpg
    trays.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 443
Shelf

I used .032" as well. Two shelves. Each spans from panel to subpanel. Hinged fore and aft so they can swing either way or be removed quickly as well. It's a 7 slider though.

I bought a piece of honeycomb aluminum panel from McMaster-Carr. Super stiff and light.

https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/127/3993

8458k66p2-j01-digital@1x_636923311874391282.png

I made a shelf for my GDL 52R out of 0.062" with angle stiffeners. That was what I had on hand, but I think something around 0.040" is sufficient.

I used 0.063" aluminum to create a tray, but instead of a hinge, I just used 6 nutplates/screws (3 on panel, 3 on subpanel) to hold it in place. Easy to attach and remove.

I installed one tray on each side, since I had a lot of avionics to mount behind the panel. Right side holds the transponder; left side holds the IBBS battery and one of the Garmin LRU boxes.

_Alex

Thanks, everyone.

I was planning to not use an angle or stiffener and want to be sure that for an ~ 9"x12" sheet that it was strong enough to not bend with the avionics component on it.

Have toyed with both just doing the hinge on the back side (subpanel) and nutplates on the front, or just nutplates all around.

SO the consensus would indicate that say a .040 sheet should be stiff enough?

Back to the ACS website - again........:)

if...

If you use .032 and put a 90 flange on the long edges, it will be plenty stiff enough...When I did this I used about a 5/16" flange height.

Back