What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VAF Charity Cap Sightings

This is basically my day job, so watch for the hat sighting in our little video produced for a Microsoft Developer Conference we just had:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=20&v=WRfLfTLVg9w

Really cool video Jim, and nice display of the VAF Hat.

THREAD DRIFT: I used to think I know something about computers, software, etc.... The technology and terms are beyond impressive. I guess the drones using AI can fly over an area and accurately deterimine what is present, way beyond reading bar codes at a distance. Hope it is consistently used for good...

Carl

Hat gone...... Nooooo !

So, despite reaching out (I know you were busy JJ), I am in San Fran by myself on a layover.

I go into town, we stay in Burlingame, and I get to the end of the Hyde Powell cable car line. Half way back to Powell, my hat flies off.

Nooooo!

Good and faithful hat of 10 years, recently repaired and well cherished.

Oh well - never mind. Cable car stops 2 blocks later and this guy runs up and gives me my hat back !

Way to go - Idaho 😇

I gave him a good drink as thanks and have been re united with my hat.

:D

44633684791_bd0eb73f0d_z.jpg

Sentosa island Singapore

Not in a Pilatus (although I’ve seen a few flying around), 7k MSL on Pilatus, near Lucerne, Switzerland.

RPDiiZNl.jpg

Not in a Pilatus (although I?ve seen a few flying around), 7k MSL on Pilatus, near Lucerne, Switzerland.

RPDiiZNl.jpg

Hi Mike, cool that you went to the Pilatus. I drove by it yesterday and thought about you.
BTW, just left of the VAF Hat is the Pilatus Airport where the Pilatus are built :)!

You have a looong flight to Belfast.

Alas, no lobster for me this year. I did wave in that direction as we went feet dry on the flight home today. And even in M'lady's airframe, it was a long flight.

Last edited:
Cool photo. I bet kids think they are called rock bands cuz they (we) are old as rocks!

Last edited:
Ha! I told a friend of mine that we were going to see Kansas and he said "Country Music?" He's probably in his 60's.... ;-) I think I told him to Carry on my Wayward Son...

-Marc

Last edited:
cool story

So, despite reaching out (I know you were busy JJ), I am in San Fran by myself on a layover.

I go into town, we stay in Burlingame, and I get to the end of the Hyde Powell cable car line. Half way back to Powell, my hat flies off.

Nooooo!

Good and faithful hat of 10 years, recently repaired and well cherished.

Oh well - never mind. Cable car stops 2 blocks later and this guy runs up and gives me my hat back !

Way to go - Idaho 😇

I gave him a good drink as thanks and have been re united with my hat.

:D

That was so cool.
Did he know what Vansairforcenet was?

Daddyman

Kitty Hawk

On recent trip up to NC with N325KS Keith Sremaniak. Thanks brothers Wright !

E5A075EE-F132-4F69-B944-995F5CD01923-L.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Very Close!

Close but not quite Keith, the picture was taken at Ashford Castle, in county Mayo. Dromoland is in county Clare, about 50 miles south of Ashford. They do have falconry at Dromoland too :)

San Juan Islands

Doug posted this photo that Kelli took of me, Sid and Capt Sandy sailing on SV Tranquility on a recent home page:

i-fpGRdkp-M.jpg

And we met Tom and Bonnie Lewis at Island Hoppin' Brewery on Orcas Island:

i-LT4d4rv-L.jpg

Hat Problem

Started to put on my VAF cap the other day, and a phrase popped into my mind: "Boomer badge."

Have had trouble wearing ball caps since.

How about some tee shirts?

Dave

Paul: laughing at your "term". I have an idea what you meant by Boomer Badge, but for fun, did a Google search. First to come up was a description of the chest insignia of a Navy ballistic missile (boomer) submarine crewmember. Further reading introduced another new term to me - anadiggie, those of us born in the analog age, will die in the digital age. Thanks for the education but I say wear your VAF "badge" proudly.

Doug
Seattle area

"Boomer Badge," to clarify....

An indication of being in the Boomer generation. Other signs include a gray beard. And of course, I have that, too.

I knew of the submarine class but this is the one I meant. Out here, we're so darn easy to identify when we have both of those two major signs.

Dave

Speaking of hats? I bought the new Van?s hat at KOSH. I don?t like the fit of the new hat ? sits too low on my head and brim blocks vertical vision. I find myself constantly lifting brim in flight. Old hat works a charm?

Back at Brenham

The Brenham Diner had closed down for a while, but they are open and in full swing, including the wait on a Sunday for lunch. We joined our Vagbond friends, Sandy and Roy. We caught up with them on their latest trip. (write-up here)

i-9dcB5Pj-M.jpg

Brenham Hat Sighting

Scoot and Cookie, Thanks for the fun get together! Multiple hats... and mucho fun. I had on my CMW hat on at our next stop. It got quite a bit of attention, as did my nifty airplane jewelry aka headset. See ya?ll next time!

Bullitt Mustang

I watch the bidding of it on You Tube and it went for 3.4 million US.
Went to another site and they said 3.78 million US.
Take your pick.

From the Freedom Tower. Someone please fix my sideways picture…

Attachments

• 0C113DF8-A46E-4580-BF9D-B70D44748C21.jpg
    0C113DF8-A46E-4580-BF9D-B70D44748C21.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 473
OSH 22 hats

Mitch forgot his hat, DR wearing VAF hat, me wearing CMW hat. Also Dick (Van) smiling with a couple of lovely ladies: Kelsey wearing a Van’s hat, Dick with RV-X hat and Capt Sandy enjoying the shade of her summer Stetson.

Attachments

• 49010334-FB56-4B16-93BC-689E401D7C66.jpeg
    49010334-FB56-4B16-93BC-689E401D7C66.jpeg
    723.9 KB · Views: 269
  • 9EFD0573-E577-4D6B-AD13-25048B1E9DE6.jpg
    9EFD0573-E577-4D6B-AD13-25048B1E9DE6.jpg
    340 KB · Views: 276
Venice - Italy

Despite the rush imposed by the social platforms, I love to share with you the picture of this 'double hat'.

We took it two days ago in Venice, Italy. Close to the historical Lido airport.

We feel so lucky to live 25 mins flying from there.

venicehat.jpg

VAF hat sighting-Norway

I wore my trusty VAF hat while traveling in southern Norway the last 2 weeks.

preikestolen (Pulpit rock) in Lysefjord

Attachments

• 9JbwLqT-0%21largestimage%3FMaxSize%3DImageSizeX5Large.jpg
    9JbwLqT-0%21largestimage%3FMaxSize%3DImageSizeX5Large.jpg
    394.6 KB · Views: 71
  • DBJnVTf-0%21largestimage%3FMaxSize%3DImageSizeX5Large.jpg
    DBJnVTf-0%21largestimage%3FMaxSize%3DImageSizeX5Large.jpg
    380.7 KB · Views: 74
  • XScSvnH-0%21largestimage%3FMaxSize%3DImageSizeX5Large.jpg
    XScSvnH-0%21largestimage%3FMaxSize%3DImageSizeX5Large.jpg
    399.3 KB · Views: 76
Back