What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Parachute rigger in North Florida

FinnFlyer

Well Known Member
Can anyone recommend a parachute rigger/packer in the Gainesville/Chiefland/Trenton/Branford/Alachua/High Springs area?

Finn

Suzie Basse in St Augustine.

Thanks, but Jax is a bit further than I'm willing to drive.

Anybody else, or perhaps around Clearwater (Tampa Bay)? Driving there anyway.

I guess I could put it into Phase II, fly somewhere to have it repacked, fly back, put it back into Phase I and do the high-G and (mild) aerobatic testing.

Finn

What brand is it? Ship it to the factory for a repack. Strong Enterprises is in Orlando: (407) 859-9317 National Parachutes is in New York: 908 782-1646. Butler is in Virginia: 540 342-2501. They'll repack it even if some other brand. I notice Strong just had a price *increase to $75. Geeezz... why are parachute riggers still making $50/hr when the rest of the world has moved on. It's crazy.

Not many riggers out there these days that have a 40ft packing table which is required to legally and safely pack a Pilot Emergency Parachute (PEP). Send it to the factory, you'll know it's done right that way.

What brand is it? Ship it to the factory for a repack. Strong Enterprises is in Orlando: (407) 859-9317 National Parachutes is in New York: 908 782-1646. Butler is in Virginia: 540 342-2501. They'll repack it even if some other brand. I notice Strong just had a price *increase to $75. Geeezz... why are parachute riggers still making $50/hr when the rest of the world has moved on. It's crazy.

Not many riggers out there these days that have a 40ft packing table which is required to legally and safely pack a Pilot Emergency Parachute (PEP). Send it to the factory, you'll know it's done right that way.

It's a 1995 National 425 Model NP6/81101-2.

First repack for me was at Zephyrhills back in 2000. Think he used the floor to pack it.

Repacked again at last 5 years ago by Poppenhager (KCTY).

Now I can't find the "hidden" pocket containing the log.

By its age I'm wondering if it's even serviceable but was counting on the rigger to tell me. It's been stored in a purple plastic bin out of sunlight.

Finn

Kelly at Strong is very good. She has worked at Strong for a long time and she used to/does go to AV every year to pack for the Warbird guys. I have watched here work on state of the art military decelerators and parachutes and have analyzed the results of her packing (there can be a difference). Always done right, no BS, if she says you are good to go you are good to go, and she is a very nice person.

Make sure you leave any rigger a nice tip, it's how they make a living.

-larosta

Yes, sending it to Strong is a good idea.

National has a 20 year service life so they won't repack it for you. All the manufacturers except Strong Enterprises have a service life limit on their equipment.

A 27 year old National is a pretty old parachute. Just saying.. But, having said that, if Strong repacks it and signs it off (for another 180 days only!) I wouldn't have any qualms about wearing and potentially using it.

You can find the packing data card under the pin protector flap. It's the triangular shaped flap on the back of the parachute towards the top. Lift the velcro'd edges and unfold the flaps.

Good luck

Yes, sending it to Strong is a good idea.

National has a 20 year service life so they won't repack it for you. All the manufacturers except Strong Enterprises have a service life limit on their equipment.

A 27 year old National is a pretty old parachute. Just saying.. But, having said that, if Strong repacks it and signs it off (for another 180 days only!) I wouldn't have any qualms about wearing and potentially using it.

You can find the packing data card under the pin protector flap. It's the triangular shaped flap on the back of the parachute towards the top. Lift the velcro'd edges and unfold the flaps.

Good luck

Thanks Robert. Found it. Last packed in 2013. How time flies!

Yes, the age certainly gives me pause.

Now I'm wondering if there is such a thing as parachute rental. Really just need it for a flight or two (high-G testing and maybe loops).

Finn

There is a parachute group / school that jumps at Tri-County Airport in Bonifay (KBCR). They have two King Airs and jump every weekend. I'm sure they could help you.

Last edited:
Back