What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What did you do w/your RV this weekend? (4/22-23/2023))

DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
...getting this weekend's thread started.

An early morning Saturday 0800 launch for KXBP for fuel. Very smooth air and 58*F. Possible flight later in the week to a funeral if WX cooperates, so starting to get the plane squared away in case I can use it. At the pump in Bridgeport, TX...
(click to enlarge)

On the way to KXBP. VNAV armed up w/traffic pattern alt set for my destination - monitoring things and about 3 min from TOD. What a great traveling machine. Seen in the shot, I usually split the screen over on the right side PFD and display some more engine instrumentation.
(click to enlarge)

Semi-respectable 270* descending turn to final after fueling. Stayed over FM1171 w/zero wind with a little less energy than I wanted (shoulda kept it tighter). Pulled flaps 1 at 180* and 2 at 90* with no obvious jiggles in the circle (manual flaps). Rolled out slightly low in the groove needing a touch of power. Passing, but could use some polish. Next flight’s goal.
(Click to enlarge)

Digging a little deeper later, did find one 'flap jiggle' pulling flaps 1 (red arrow) in the profile. Flaps 2 pull seemed smooth. I enjoy looking at the data when I get back home <g>. Keeping these smooth using manual flaps is a challenge I enjoy for some reason.
(Click to enlarge)

Always feels good to get off the surface in an RV! .8 logged, smooth air.

Sunday was clouds and rain.

v/r,dr

Last edited:
Bahamas

Leaving Canada today after weather, hitting customs in Port Clinton Ohio then flying to Baxley Georgia tonight for a great mexican dinner and amazing little airport stay we always enjoy. Tomorrow into Lakeland to meet up with 5 other Canadian Planes and a few beers over dinner. Monday off to Staniel Cay.

Oh boy Trip number 8 to the bahamas.:D:D

MYLS Stella Maris

Flew the wife and kids to met a Mooney buddy, his wife, and dog at Stella Maris. Dean's Blue Hole, (82' diameter x 663' deep hole), Omar's Island Ting, and Erna's Nature Pool ended up being trip highlights.

AJFCJaX-xKOAFT1l3J68yt88NZJ4r08TIBAUwNSv5SKNV_WmzSqgQIxwq_HQK5tRvzbB9IUrJQNwgCWElX-etm7fAgZFcmjBKzaqdiwTu68GshvWHgAPDChAlPgan4oOnN4AWxsgrR1mWCIyn7OQFujaB7Qfkg=w800-h947

AJFCJaXpsDbsnWJMj2sXlUwAXJdNbAKR27zkwNDWV4PVuwQ5n87iHyXIi6L8F242duivnzKWhWNivCTR50N344Ggfx2wajmET9jz4BXZVrcNGuo-SdTTEOiNGeGF6pKJqf4vFFHHSJWqCdxiqCKMr-dON4nYIQ=w800-h947

Skyscraper looking on after landing at Stella Maris.

AJFCJaUpV6Sk9VCQFG7KuZZmGMr9MxmwOa_lazrbOM3Xr2tckHFcKJ7LOhQpJMK01MAKdEUj756mZw4kzdPNCi8Y_Xcz8rJEHBCj1sPJFpoeAAAimAjBkRZUOojM1Wtt8hqcQpdrr-eyxUrh20g1RLRA9BB2sQ=w800-h947

John's Mooney Rocket taking some fuel in its 100 + gallon tanks.

AJFCJaVA3KBM_Dn2073ex7H6XxEi3vT-My4kvIBQ2ReNauzaAe7DA-bB-4zonfwqtw-ChqWAEnXku2LAaTngaN78Fyl5vL9k8wI4BcuHwU0bFE4glXj6U0hCIVP7hTPHSn9rPyn_RChAZ6OLLkbKNFmCIHeZQw=w800-h536

Dean's Blue Hole.

Sweeping the hangar after the First flight (.5) in about 10 weeks after resealing the right tank, all seems well so far.

Attachments

• 7839163F-32F4-4601-A64C-3F7C3426A29B.jpg
    7839163F-32F4-4601-A64C-3F7C3426A29B.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 120
Started my Phase 1 V-speed testing. Did a bunch of climbs and descents. The data I collected was pretty noisy and mostly useless so I'll have to repeat using a more disciplined and consistent plan. Need the AP's help to hold speeds (my proficiency is still not precise enough). Hold each speed for longer, allow time for VSI to settle, start each at the same altitude and so on.

Did some chasing around with my hangar mate in the last good flying hours of the week !

Attachments

• Ken shot.jpg
    Ken shot.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 144
Have a great trip Rick. I cant wait to hear about it.

I made a flight to Sportys to look for an ipad mount. I didnt find what I wanted but it was a fun flight! On the way downhill to land, I got up to 187 knots GS. 152 indicated and 162 True. Nice!

Attachments

• 4-19-2023.jpg
    4-19-2023.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 84
  • 215 mph.jpg
    215 mph.jpg
    315.7 KB · Views: 124
Sound test

Very interesting flight on Saturday - performed the required "sound test" to determine the "noise" classification for my aircraft. I should have done this shortly after first flight, but for various reasons didn't get it done. I put "noise" in quotes since one person's noise is another's music. :D

Here's the cloudahoy track - no idea if this will work:

https://www.cloudahoy.com/debrief/?key=I6sA4uqDzPOqAekFenk

HB-YMM Sound Test flight track 2023-04-22.png

There's quite a lot to this, but essentially the idea is to simulate a takeoff. They need 6 good readings. It seems to be some kind of an ICAO standard, but the little reading I did on it was confusing. Kind of fun to have a mission again - I miss the testing period - it was great being a "test pilot!"

Instrument check ride

Passed my instrument check ride in my -7, interesting challenge after 1000 hours of VFR flying and I have learnt a lot. Hand flew all the approaches to make sure I could if all the automation failed. Altitude management was probably the biggest challenge as the -7 gains or loses altitude in a hurry if you breath on the stick. I also had a very good instructor who only talked when necessary :D
The DPE loved the plane :D
Figs

Passed my instrument check ride in my -7, interesting challenge after 1000 hours of VFR flying and I have learnt a lot. Hand flew all the approaches to make sure I could if all the automation failed. Altitude management was probably the biggest challenge as the -7 gains or loses altitude in a hurry if you breath on the stick. I also had a very good instructor who only talked when necessary :D
Figs

Very nice! Congrats Figs.

Sedona flight

Our flying group with 6 planes flew to KSEZ for breakfast this weekend. On the return flight I could not find my nearby traffic (Mike) but then Lynn noticed his RV9 with the new traffic avoidance feature in Dynon.

Attachments

• IMG_3138.jpg
    IMG_3138.jpg
    398.6 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_0440.JPG
    IMG_0440.JPG
    793.7 KB · Views: 201
fe374cdf-0c1c-4e82-a1ca-32e39bd48302
We completed our “Sea to shining Sea Adventure”. Leisurely spread over 38 calendar days, 22 states, 5900 statute miles, and 37 flight hours. We often spent 5 nights in one location, visiting friends and family. It was an Epic excursion. Our best resources were Foreflight and The Weather Channel, dodging some seriously nasty weather enroute. It’s “One Big *** Country” out there in the Hinterland! ��

Greg Novotny
Ret.DAL/NWA
RV-14a N14ZP
Tacoma Narrows TIW

Last edited:
... On the return flight I could not find my nearby traffic (Mike) but then Lynn noticed his RV9 with the new traffic avoidance feature in Dynon.

That's an awesome feature, Jerry! Helps you know the paint scheme of the aircraft in addition to the position! :D

We completed our “Sea to shining Sea Adventure”. Leisurely spread over 38 calendar days, 22 states, 5900 statute miles, and 37 flight hours. We often spent 5 nights in one location, visiting friends and family. It was an Epic excursion. Our best resources were Foreflight and The Weather Channel, dodging some seriously nasty weather enroute. It’s “One Big *** Country” out there in the Hinterland! ��

Greg Novotny
Ret.DAL/NWA
RV-14a N14ZP
Tacoma Narrows TIW

Users/greg/Desktop/TIW to TIW.png

Can you share your map of flights?

Staniel Cay

I picked up a California stray at the Austin airport, and we launched to join Rosie on the last half of his turquoise water trip.

63686227-C37A-4006-B341-BF6BFD012EA1.jpg

93BE9480-8D9B-4A60-B7A1-5790B8AF83DE.jpeg

99D2CF1B-D6DB-4FD8-95F1-730E1740455A.jpeg

CAEFEF57-B18E-41CD-887E-BEC646AB119B.jpeg

2773F27A-E5E4-485D-ACD8-2D8E0E2F2408.jpeg

Colorado to Phoenix and back

Nice trip with my wife from the cold to the hot. Over the mtns from Denver (CFO) through NM to Phoenix Glendale.

Calm after the storm

Flew on the backside of a front. Nice to port, not so nice to starboard...

Attachments

• starboard.jpg
    starboard.jpg
    508.1 KB · Views: 84
  • port.jpg
    port.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 56
Falcon Flight Formation Clinic

Got to spend some great flying time, training and flying formation with 44 other RV pilots at the Falcon Flight formation clinic in Temple, TX. Lots of pilots from across the country, some very beautiful RV's and just a great environment to train in. Always pretty cool to see 40 plus RV's in one hangar.

Attachments

• IMG_0553.jpg
    IMG_0553.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_0556.jpg
    IMG_0556.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_0554.jpg
    IMG_0554.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 145
Got to Fly Another Young Eagle

This young mans grandfather contacted our EAA chapter 1250 to arrange a flight for his grandson. He wants to be a pilot, I absolutely enjoy flying these type of young eagles.

https://youtu.be/6CuHClAzcdU
Short video of his flight.

Attachments

• IMG_0910.jpg
    IMG_0910.jpg
    430.3 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
Figs

Figs!!
What fantastic news. Well done, Sir!

Scroll

Catalina Island

Great place to fly to great hiking. just a warning $38 landing fee.

Attachments

• 46B2FAF0-1D0C-4D09-B0E9-2EDEAE8DE358.jpg
    46B2FAF0-1D0C-4D09-B0E9-2EDEAE8DE358.jpg
    373.5 KB · Views: 128
  • 5C78A8EC-A8EB-4FB1-8818-9B433F237776.jpg
    5C78A8EC-A8EB-4FB1-8818-9B433F237776.jpg
    455.9 KB · Views: 135
Fig

Congratulations on your instrument rating. It ain’t easy at your age and I’m proud of you standing up to the challenge. Good job.

Figs

Great job Figs

Boomer

Hey Figs

Welcome to don't get too cocky & kill yourself...Just Kidding, congratulations and keep up currency. See you with the "Brown Stuff" in a couple o months mate...:D

bahamas rvs

Saw your 9 on the field at staniel cay. Small world. Couldnt remember why I knew your plane so had to google it.

Hope you enjoyed your stay. Blue skies.

Back