What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV7 Ipad mount

I have the iPad mini 6 and use 2 mounts, one is a ram Tab-Tite https://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/sep/8982 mounted on the right stringer with a clamp and a 5" ram extension. This keeps the iPad up and out of the way from a passenger's knee. This mount is for general flying around. The iPad gets washed out in bright sunlight but is easy to reach and unclip if needed. I tried the ram roller mount but did not like how much pressure the roller put on the screen protector glass and it was not easy to release with one hand while strapped in.

I also have iPad Slimline Rotating Kneeboard https://www.sportys.com/ipad-slimline-rotating-kneeboardaa.html simple and works well for looking at charts and plates and does not suffer as much from sunlight (I have the Kroger shade)

Figs

I have a blank spot on the passenger side of the panel big enough for a RAM suction cup mount for the 11" iPad Pro I typically use for Foreflight. I also have an iPad Mini 6 that I don't mount...I use it for running the IFD100 app for my Avidyne navigator.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-12-15 at 8.36.08 AM.png
    Screenshot 2022-12-15 at 8.36.08 AM.png
    100.5 KB · Views: 75
I run 2 RAM ball mounts on the stringers on both sides. Pilot side holds my Mini 6 used for flight planning, IFR plates, etc... during flights. The co-pilot mount is for my instructor's use or my "co-pilot" to mount her iPad Pro so she can take in TV Dramas while on longer XC flights. Both are solid, the iPad Pro does bounce a little in turbulence, but not as much as one would think.

The iPads are both clipped in the model specific RAM cases with build in Apple Pencil holds. Love the RAM products, solid, reliable, although not cheap, worth the money.

MyGoFlight

I thing you should take a look at mygoflight.com For my taste: The Ram mounts were big, bulky, plastic monstrosities. I didn't think they looked particularly good, and due to their size, they seem to obscure the panel.

The Mygoflight mounts were sleek, aluminum, and appeared to have a very classy appearance that didn't overwhelm the panel space. Of course, the down side is they are more expensive than the plastic ram mounts.

YMMV.

Last edited:
I thing you should take a look at mygoflight.com For my taste: The Ram mounts were big, bulky, plastic monstrosities. I didn't think they looked particularly good, and due to their size, they seem to obscure the panel.

The Mygoflight mounts were sleek, aluminum, and appeared to have a very classy appearance that didn't overwhelm the panel space. Of course, the down side is they are more expensive than the plastic ram mounts.

YMMV.

Agreed! MGF mounts are GREAT, decided to save the money for fuel.

Passenger side with the RAM

I have a RAM mount like MacCool's. I tried it with the suction cup to the plexi on the pilot side. Didn't like it. I'm using it on the passenger side now but without the suction cup. Instead, I have it mounted to one of the upper panel screws using one of the two holes that was used for the suction cup base. There's a panel screw that sits a little lower. I believe I used that one with a slightly longer screw.

Doug
RV-7 Flying!!!

Ram mount

Not an ipad, but a Samsung Tab 4 which is similar in size to a iPad mini. I really like a tablet in this location. Super solid mount.

Attachments

• 20220615_102914.jpg
    20220615_102914.jpg
    347.6 KB · Views: 261
Not an ipad, but a Samsung Tab 4 which is similar in size to a iPad mini. I really like a tablet in this location. Super solid mount.

I tried that location but kept hitting the mount with my knee, what length extension do you use?
Figs

I tried that location but kept hitting the mount with my knee, what length extension do you use?
Figs

I'll have to check the length the next time I am at the plane, but I think it is about 4". I do have to be a little careful when entering/exiting not to hit it, but it is not in the way at all when flying for me. However, it does block the vent from blowing directly on my face, but I do not lose visibility of any of my panel instrumentation. The ball is mounted to the angled brace that goes on into the panel. There was a previous hole that I attached it with a single bolt. It works infinitely better than a suction cup mount.

I measured the arm today and it is 6" from end to end. So I believe it is the "RAM® Double Socket Arm - B Size Long" model.

I have a Ram mount with gimbal suction cups on either end. Sticks in lower corner of canopy and back of IPad Mini. Has worked excellent for five + years. Had it shut down to heat once during a fuel stop but never in flight. Brightness is adequate needs to be plugged into charger all the time to be reliable. Running FlyQ connected WiFi to the SkyView. Good overall experience. I always remove the Ram mount when not in use.

RAM mount like some others except I screwed the ball to right side of my panel on a removable panel designed for a second G3X which I probably won't ever do. Flew with it yesterday and very satisfied with the mount, I can tilt towards me, landscape or portrait or have it fairly flat against the panel for the passenger. Time will tell but ok for now all good and not too expensive.

iPad mount by Dave Hock, on Flickr

Mine is a flush mount. Pretty clean. It's set up for the iPad Air 2, which is getting a little long in the tooth. I'd like to upgrade to an 11" iPad Pro mount, but that might require enlarging the hole slightly. I figure it'd be quite a while before that model was put out to pasture.

Attachments

• 2022-09-15 14.11.08.jpg
    2022-09-15 14.11.08.jpg
    339.2 KB · Views: 152
iPad mounts

I have made about 50 mounts for various models, but mostly for the RV-8. This is an iPad mini 5 mount that I did for the RV-7A that my dad built (since sold the plane to a friend). It uses a magnetic mount that is adjustable, but I also made mounts the allow it to be attached to roll bars or screwed to a dash plate. The frame is 3D printed with a magnetic clip to secure the iPad into the holster. It's able to be charged while in the mount as well.
qP5FBHy.jpg

ivxhOSZ.jpg

Back