What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Storage mod RV-8

Webb

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Since I’m not putting in smoke, I decided to use the lower forward baggage compartment for the battery, master contactor, and grounds for easy access.

To keep junk from falling on electrical contacts, a cover panel is needed and it seemed a shame to waste the space above the battery so I made a cover with a storage box.

Cam locks will hold it in place and it has a magnetic latch. The door is purposely smaller than the top so the flange helps contain the contents and not rely solely on the latch. Opens with about 5 pounds of tug.

11” X 8.75” X 3.75” so it’s big enough to stow away tie down ropes, some tools, etc…

Attachments

• 3456BAAD-7433-40B8-A191-8F272C6DDE91.jpg
    3456BAAD-7433-40B8-A191-8F272C6DDE91.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:
This is a neat idea. It gave me another idea. There may be enough depth below the aft baggage floor to make a built-in box compartment like that for tools. It would only be about 2.5" deep or so, with a lid that fit flush with the rest of the baggage floor. Just have to make sure it doesn't interfere with rudder cables or anything else that needs to get routed through there.

I did something similar, but not as eloquent as Webb’s. I used some scrap 1/4” fiberglass board from a neighbor’s Lancair IV build (strong, light and handy stuff) to make a hinged door to cover the forward battery and such. A second PC-625 is mounted in the normal aft location. I did this split to hit my W&B target.

Carl
4790-DD92-DA40-4-AB3-85-FE-62-B5-A2-D5-C645.jpg

C5-B0719-F-0-C02-4770-A5-DC-EE1-BCD899-F79.jpg

This is a neat idea. It gave me another idea. There may be enough depth below the aft baggage floor to make a built-in box compartment like that for tools. It would only be about 2.5" deep or so, with a lid that fit flush with the rest of the baggage floor. Just have to make sure it doesn't interfere with rudder cables or anything else that needs to get routed through there.

If the battery is mounted forward, there would be lots of room under the rear shelf. Even some strong structure to support it all where the battery would have been mounted. Some people put avionics back there, so that would limit room.

If the battery is mounted forward, there would be lots of room under the rear shelf. Even some strong structure to support it all where the battery would have been mounted. Some people put avionics back there, so that would limit room.

I also relocated my battery and in the search for more space I removed the rear shelf completely. Added a small structure to keep the belcrank safe, but overall a worthwhile mod. Also dumped most of the baggage floor and sidewalls for a bit more room.

Attachments

• IMG_20230412_193646498.jpg
    IMG_20230412_193646498.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 183
Aerobatics and magnetic latch

Cam locks will hold it in place and it has a magnetic latch. The door is purposely smaller than the top so the flange helps contain the contents and not rely solely on the latch. Opens with about 5 pounds of tug.

11” X 8.75” X 3.75” so it’s big enough to stow away tie down ropes, some tools, etc…

Be careful with the magnetic latch. It will open with negative Gs.

Excellent

Since I’m not putting in smoke, I decided to use the lower forward baggage compartment for the battery, master contactor, and grounds for easy access.

To keep junk from falling on electrical contacts, a cover panel is needed and it seemed a shame to waste the space above the battery so I made a cover with a storage box.

Great idea and excellent workmanship Webb!!!:)

Thanks folks. Here it is installed with the anti skid mat.

When they said mods take a lot longer than you think they will, how correct they were. However I think the time spent on the 3 in the forward baggage compartment will be time well spent later on.

Attachments

• 600E147F-CD50-45C0-B958-CF573F6CEFFE.jpg
    600E147F-CD50-45C0-B958-CF573F6CEFFE.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 132
  • 53FDBC11-D74C-496D-BB70-49FCAF139F8C.jpg
    53FDBC11-D74C-496D-BB70-49FCAF139F8C.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 127
Electrical Bay

This is my rendition of the RV8 "Electrical Bay" that I modified out of the lower portion of the front baggage area. The lower baggage area is nice for storage but in my opinion was better to place the electrical items like the contactors etc.

I also felt that the battery location was better served there than the firewall or rear location. It moved the battery about 14.5" back from the firewall and all the electrical is protected and out of the heat and elements FWIW.

I made the electrical bay cover to lay even with the rest of the baggage shelf. The access cover to the compartment has a door that will allow inspection and some access but the entire panel comes off easily with 8 screws. My firewall forest of tabs(FOT) resides there as well as another FOT in the avionics area.

Between the front and rear baggage areas I feel I will have ample area and it was worth sacrificing the lower baggage area. I left about a 1/16 inch gap between the access door and the main panel so I can put a fiberglass or aluminum cubby inside that will be held down by the three dzus fasteners on the access panel cover and will be able to be lifted right out when the access cover is opened.

I still have a smoke tank that fits nicely into a slide in mount on the reinforced baggage shelf in front. I made it modular so it all slides in and out in one piece.

Some of the mods are why I am not flying it YET!!!! :rolleyes::mad:

Here are some pics....still running a few wires so cover just sitting on top.

comp_CIMG0652.jpg

comp_CIMG0654.jpg

comp_CIMG0656.jpg

Back