What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What did you do w/your RV this weekend? (4/8 - 4/9, 2023)

Flew from Fallbrook (L18) to Montgomery Field (MYF) to visit Marv Golden Pilot Supplies and try on the new Bose A30. Beautiful morning to fly.

Attachments

• Coast.jpg
    Coast.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 112
  • DelMar.png
    DelMar.png
    359.3 KB · Views: 82
  • FlowerFields.png
    FlowerFields.png
    610.5 KB · Views: 114
  • LaJolla.png
    LaJolla.png
    473.4 KB · Views: 95
  • MYF.png
    MYF.png
    372.8 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Took one of my daughters for her first RV-8 ride.

Attachments

• 2A1B5780-2D6B-4440-B5B7-8BC4B47739B3.jpg
    2A1B5780-2D6B-4440-B5B7-8BC4B47739B3.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 181
  • EE700F9F-F0A0-4A52-8BB7-FB5E428D0671.jpeg
    EE700F9F-F0A0-4A52-8BB7-FB5E428D0671.jpeg
    330.9 KB · Views: 144
Flew from Fallbrook (L18) to Montgomery Field (MYF) to visit Marv Golden Pilot Supplies and try on the new Bose A30. Beautiful morning to fly.

Did you buy? Review?

-Marc

Last edited:
Did you buy? Revue?

-Marc

Didn’t buy it. I have a Lightspeed Zulu 3, and Delta Zulu. I found those to be more comfortable than the A30. I also think the A30 is too loose on the head. As in, it slides off when you lean forward. From what I’m reading online, sounds like the A30 is a miss. Haven’t read a customer review yet that’s positive. Bose had a miss with the ProFlight Series 1, and the Series 2 is better. Maybe the A30 will be the same…

Pilots That Don't Go Anywhere video

I did a lot of things; most of them are classified but I can share this one.
I've been working on it for quite a while; had the lyrics written out, generated a demo track and started compiling clips. Last week I finally got into the studio to get the backing vocals properly done. Some of my PTK buddies helped me get the airport video clips done and I finished it off last night. If you've ever watched Veggie Tales and are familiar with Silly Songs With Larry, you'll have my inspiration. It's only a minute and a half long, but I think you'll enjoy it.
https://youtu.be/xQcLAcvRIsI

Flew up to Seligman, then followed Route 66 to Ash Fork, then home to Sedona. Great spring weather.

N241DC-04-08-2023 Large.jpeg

More cowl fitting. Definitely tedious at times, but it also really triggers that I'm making an airplane feeling. Can't wait until I get the first fit-up of the lower cowl to really get that airplane profile going...

img_4336-1024x768.jpg

I've been working on it for quite a while; had the lyrics written out, generated a demo track and started compiling clips. Last week I finally got into the studio to get the backing vocals properly done. Some of my PTK buddies helped me get the airport video clips done and I finished it off last night. If you've ever watched Veggie Tales and are familiar with Silly Songs With Larry, you'll have my inspiration. It's only a minute and a half long, but I think you'll enjoy it.

I did get a laugh out of that. Well done!

HILARIOUS!! Thanks for starting my day out with a smile!

All I can say is "Classic Martin" the Monty Python of post! :D:D

I delivered an introduction to homebuilt general aviation to a family friend who had a distinguished RAAF career before joining Qantas and rising to the levels of a B787 Captain.

He hadn't flown anything smaller than an Airbus 330 in the last ten years, so I think he had a bit of an eye opener. He did most of the flying from Bankstown to Cessnock, I took over on mid downwind to grease a landing, one of those, "Oh, we're on the ground already?" ones that only ever happens when there are no camera-equipped witnesses.

We met up with Glenn, Eddie, Kevin, Lindsay and Anne-Marie at Cessnock and enjoyed a stereotypically superb lunch at Peterson House's Restaurant Cuvée next to the airport. If you're in the neighborhood, check it out; They rotate their menu every month or so, which means I can't offer reliable recommendations, other than to say it's always very good.

Lunch time conversation about aviation tall stories and about how rights, responsibilities and capabilities intersect in E/AB aviation. Safety systems that involve peer review and community oversight instead of regulator involvement. Keeping your skin intact when you have greater latitude to form your own frameworks and systems instead of receiving them as mandates.

We followed Eddie, Anne-Marie and Kevin back to Wedderburn to drink coffee and tell lies in their hangar. My friend was amazed by the capabilities of modern general-aviation glass avionics. Kept saying the RV had capabilities the big jet didn't have. Even simple things like "display of traffic on the moving map" ("Oh, so the dotted green line is showing where they WILL be? Amazing!"). We talked about design philosophy, and how you can perform the system integration work needed to produce a system with the capabilities needed to meet the mission requirements ranging from "simple" to "full multi-screen IFR with backups for everything."

Gusty crosswind at Wedderburn, more of an "arrival" than a "landing." Airplane's still usable so I got away with it.

Then back to Bankstown for debrief and departure.

Great day. Always good to compare notes with a professional, especially one who's been in the industry for as long as this guy. He's pretty deeply involved with safety frameworks and regulator engagement in the airline, had some good insights into safety culture and airmanship.

And I think I might have sold him an RV. Not today, not this year, but the transaction is done and now we just need to wait for delivery. Slow burn. It'll happen :)

- mark

LOVE IT, especially the Veggie Tales……….
Someday you are gonna go places!

Easter Weekend 2023

It was Easter here in NZ and as such that gave us four days of freedom.

Day 1: Friday. Stunning day. No wind, see for miles. A great day to go exploring. Got some great video saved on the GoPro and now have to find time to edit it all. A total of 1.8 hours of selfish ME time in some of the best scenery in the world.

Day 2: Saturday. Stunning day. Again. See for miles. Thought I'd better take the wife for a fly to ensure a reliable flow of Avgas in future. Cromwell - Saint Bathans - Macraes Mine - Palmerston - Oamaru - Waitaki River - Omarama. Morning Tea time! The Pink Glider was closed so we walked into the village and enjoyed a brew (tea and coffee) at the Wrinkley Ram instead. Omarama - Ahuriri Valley - Hunter Valley - Wanaka - Cromwell. 1.7 hours.

Day 3: Easter Sunday. Winds were expected to come up later in the day so took my daughter flying early in the morning. Since she's been learning to fly she's been trash-talking about flying the RV-6. "Give me the keys, Dad..." I gave her a lesson in why she needs more than 40 hours in her logbook to operate it. :D It was great to fly with somebody who enjoys aero's as much as I do and 1.2 hours of fun were had.

Day 4: Monday. Light drizzle overnight cleared and by 11:00 it was a lovely day. Well... I guess there's only one thing left to do... go fishing! 4 hours and two salmon later dinner was sorted.

Can't wait for the Sport Aircraft Association Fly-In at Ashburton next weekend.

Attachments

• Saint Bathans.jpg
    Saint Bathans.jpg
    471.8 KB · Views: 68
  • Macraes Mine.jpg
    Macraes Mine.jpg
    497.7 KB · Views: 79
  • North of Palmerston.jpg
    North of Palmerston.jpg
    356.2 KB · Views: 82
  • Waitaki River.jpg
    Waitaki River.jpg