What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Firewall mat

Davea320

Well Known Member
Looking for opinions on putting Dynamat on the cabin side of the firewall for noise and vibration reduction. Anybody use this product and do I need to be concerned about noxious fumes during an onboard fire?

https://www.dynamat.com/

Thanks
Dave

Looking for opinions on putting Dynamat on the cabin side of the firewall for noise and vibration reduction. Anybody use this product and do I need to be concerned about noxious fumes during an onboard fire?

Dave, to be really accurate we would need to know which Dynamat product you had in mind.

In general, there are no safe products for the cabin side of a firewall.

Last edited:
do I need to be concerned about noxious fumes during an onboard fire?

Oh, boy!!!

popcorn.gif

Dave, to be really accurate we would need to know which Dynamat product you had in mind.

In general, there are no safe products for the cabin side of a firewall.

I believe it’s dynamat extreme for automotive use. 1/16” thick with a foil type side facing towards the cabin.

This is probably an "inside joke" that not everyone will get, but it looks like you have a picture of Bob Japundza as your avitar. ;)

forgive the thread drift, just funny you both, at different times, picked that picture.

So I can assume this has already been discussed ad nauseum?

Dave,
If you VAF-search for threads started by Dan Horton, you'll see he has posted several detailed analyses of firewall coverings, their resistance to heat and fire/smoke propogation, and they're long-term corrosive impact on the stainless-steel firewall itself. Good reading.

SC,
That's not Bob Japundza. That's me!
No, wait, that's John Belushi playing Capt Wild Bill Kelso in the Spielberg film "1941".

So I can assume this has already been discussed ad nauseum?

Yes. You absolutely positively do not want to be in the cabin when a butyl rubber foam comes in contact with red hot stainless. Don't do it.

Last edited:
Just one data point

I've had my RV-6 for 23 years (2000hrs). During all that time I've had a time bomb (aka crappy insulation) on the cockpit side of the firewall.

During the last annual, and due to all the good work that Dan has done, I removed it all. I had forgotten this, but I had put down a good quality tape (non adhesive transfer used in composite layups) on the firewall first, and then adhered the crappy insulation with hi temp silicone. It came off in chunks, but once the tape was peeled up it left no residue on the firewall.

For fun, I put a match to it....oh boy did it go up in flames nicely.

For the data point, I've flown it since and I can't tell (not very scientific by ANY standard) any difference in cockpit temperature or noise level.

I am using Bose headsets, so I'm sure that really helps for sound.

So IMHO, you don't need anything on the cockpit side of the firewall. Dan has made a good case for fiberfrax FORWARD of the firewall, and you can find the thread here:
https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=72087

Regards,

Laird

Dave, I looked back through test files. I have not tested any Dynamat Extreme, but if you want to have some sent here, I'll be happy to run it on the burn rig.

Photos below, a rubber foam with an aluminum foil backing sold as firewall insulation. Aircraft Spruce still lists it as "flame certified for firewall", apparently based on the cabin wall and upholstery standards of 23.856 and 25.856. There is no such certification for a cabin firewall.

Firewall%20Mat.jpg

P8310006.JPG

P8310007.JPG

Last edited:
Dynamat

Dan,
I’ll try and cut a sample to send your way, but based on your previous tests of other materials, I have my doubts as to it’s viability.

Dave

Back