What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder pedal extensions

amekler

Well Known Member
Patron
I tried to order the rudder pedal extensions from Vans and they say they are no longer available. Does anyone have a set they don't want want or have come up with another solution?
12075040_932029833534615_715430383727301042_n.jpeg

Alan
N603NH
RV-12

Wow! I didn't know these existed. I could use a pair of these as well. Wifey can't reach the pedals..

Here is a link to some 3D printed RV-12 rudder pedal extensions. They replace the existing RV-12 parts so it is not a quick on/off or temporary solution.

https://www.rvplasticparts.com/product-page/rv12-round-rudder-pedal-extensions-set

I made my own set several years ago on my 3D printer using carbon reinforced Nylon material. In the photo you can see the original Van's part with the red prototype (dimensional/fit check model) and extensions of 1.5", 1.75", and 2". The 2" extensions required the brake Pedal extensions that are next to them. I fly with the 1.75" extensions on both sets of pedals. BTW, the original Vans's parts are 1" high, so the 1.75" part is really just an additional 3/4" of an inch of length.

John Salak
RV-12 N896HS

Attachments

• DSC00003 downscale.JPG
    DSC00003 downscale.JPG
    192.8 KB · Views: 154
If you get a chance, would you mind posting a pic of them installed? Thanks

2 pics,
One of prototype made out of PVC. Second out of aluminum. Both mounted to rudder pedals and frame with screws on pedals and heavy duty hose clamps on frames.

Attachments

• 20160102_093328~2.jpg
    20160102_093328~2.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 165
  • 20131215_090734.jpg
    20131215_090734.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 181
2 pics,
One of prototype made out of PVC. Second out of aluminum. Both mounted to rudder pedals and frame with screws on pedals and heavy duty hose clamps on frames.

While that may be absolutely functional, it does not belong in an aircraft. Sorry. Just my opinion.

Possible alternative

I was faced with the same question - a friends daughter couldn’t reach the rudder pedals but I didn’t want to deal with anything attached to the pedals. Instead I added a third hinge piece about 2” further forward than the two stipulated in the KAI.

Much to my surprise, I actually found that position to be 300% (approx.) more comfortable for me as well. Slightly more reclined, which helps my aching back, and better clearance betwixt my noggin and the canopy. Cheap and easy, and something I wish I had happened across a decade ago.

Total cost: $0.00.
Total time: 15 minutes.

I was faced with the same question - a friends daughter couldn’t reach the rudder pedals but I didn’t want to deal with anything attached to the pedals. Instead I added a third hinge piece about 2” further forward than the two stipulated in the KAI.

Much to my surprise, I actually found that position to be 300% (approx.) more comfortable for me as well. Slightly more reclined, which helps my aching back, and better clearance betwixt my noggin and the canopy. Cheap and easy, and something I wish I had happened across a decade ago.

Total cost: $0.00.
Total time: 15 minutes.

when the stick is all the way aft does it hit the seat?
Alan

Another version of extensions

My wife is about 5'2" and can't reach the stock rudder/brakes.

These are 3D printed. Sorry the pics aren't great, they were for my own use when we first installed them.

Also there are two different versions in the pics posted. The one on the right pedal has a screw on clamp that was a PITA to put in place. The left one is what we use now. It has a velcro strap that holds rock solid. The other has since been converted. They fit over the existing plastic pad on the rudder portion and extend both the brake and rudder pedal surfaces proportionally.

I have plans to make a couple other simple mods to make them even quicker to remove/replace, but it hasn't been an issue. They work great and the wife is happy. Total weight for the set is about 12 ounces.

Cheers!

Attachments

• RV12_pedal_xtensions1.jpg
    RV12_pedal_xtensions1.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 232
  • RV12_pedal_xtensions2.jpg
    RV12_pedal_xtensions2.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 256
  • RV12_pedal_xtensions3.jpg
    RV12_pedal_xtensions3.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 224
  • RV12_pedal_xtension.jpg
    RV12_pedal_xtension.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
Russ,
Are you planning on selling any sets? If so I would be interested.
Alan
Rv-12
N603NH-flight tests in progress

I don't want to get involved in printing any, but I'm happy to share the files and my few notes/ideas if anyone wants to print a set or have a set printed for their personal use.

Also, please share back if you make any improvements, I only ever made two iterations, and I know there are things that can be tweaked and done better.

My original plan was to 3D print the concepts and once happy, move the design to my CNC and cut a more "permanent" set. However, the ABS print works so well I doubt I'll ever do that.

PM me if you would like the files.

Full disclosure-- I'm not sure when I'll get time to package and send the files, my son and a number of his friends are graduating HS and June is pretty much packed with BBQ's and activities!! That being said I'll try to do it within a couple weeks. By the time the month is over I may weigh too much to fly the -12 anyway.

Back