What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tools for toolbox and control surface kits

RNB

Does anyone sell tool kits just for the practice kits?
1" diameter flush set: Does the one inch refer to width of the head?
I can't find this on spruce: 1/8″ Cupped Set 3.5″
Having not ever built anything like this before I find it all very confusing

For example, the following item is required: #40 Jobber Drill Bits
40 drill bits easy to find, but the word jobber yields zero results on spruce. Is jobber important?

Last edited:
Jobber bits not that important. I had to google what a jobber bit was when I started. Something about the ratio of the length of the bit and the threaded region. As long as the bit is for metal you should be fine.

Cupped set is for the round head rivet and flat is for the flush rivet. I’m sure the practice set with need both.

I would actually recommend Cleveland tool when you start out. They are designed to serve RV builders specifically and if you call them they will be very helpful on the phone with your questions. Most of my starting tools are from them. You’ll move into aircraft spruce when you get more seasoned and know exactly what you need and need more advanced tools.

Good luck.

Jobber bits not that important. I had to google what a jobber bit was when I started. Something about the ratio of the length of the bit and the threaded region. As long as the bit is for metal you should be fine.

Cupped set is for the round head rivet and flat is for the flush rivet. I’m sure the practice set with need both.

I would actually recommend Cleveland tool when you start out. They are designed to serve RV builders specifically and if you call them they will be very helpful on the phone with your questions. Most of my starting tools are from them. You’ll move into aircraft spruce when you get more seasoned and know exactly what you need and need more advanced tools.

Good luck.

Thank you, good idea

Does anyone sell tool kits just for the practice kits?
1" diameter flush set: Does the one inch refer to width of the head?
I can't find this on spruce: 1/8″ Cupped Set 3.5″
Having not ever built anything like this before I find it all very confusing

For example, the following item is required: #40 Jobber Drill Bits
40 drill bits easy to find, but the word jobber yields zero results on spruce. Is jobber important?

1" flush set - yes that's the diameter. All of the sets you will use will have the .401" shank. The diameter isn't critical honestly but the larger sets are a bit easier to control. You may have better luck with the "no mar" sets with the rubber ring at first or just putting some masking tape on the face of the normal set.

1/8" cupped set is for the AN470 universal rivets in 1/8" diameter (AN470AD4 rivets). 3.5" is the length. The length isn't super critical but the shorter sets are easier to control and hit harder than the longer ones. You will end up with several lengths by the time you're done with the build for both 3/32" and 1/8" rivets. AS link: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/rivetsetspg407.php

Like nohoflyer wrote, "Jobber" just means longer than a "mechanics" drill bit. It's not important for the practice kits but the extra length can come in handy when it comes to the real build. I just buy the 5 packs of #40 and #30 bits from wherever is having a sale. The diameter is critical but the length not so much.

You've taken one very correct step...seeking advice and info. I would recommend joining your local EAA chapter, if you haven't already. I second the advice to get in touch with Cleaveland Aircraft Tools. They are really helpful.

Yes, building an airplane is probably different from anything else you've done, but it is doable. You just need to develop some new skills. Not difficult, but there are things to learn.

Also agree with Jacoby...get several drill bits of each, #30 and #40. When you can feel a drill bit starting to get dull, stop and change it immediately. Especially #40, they break easily when dull. I have proven that to my dissatisfaction. The broken off stub still chucked in the drill motor is a fearsome weapon against oneself. Ask me how i know.

Practice, practice, etc. The skills come together pretty quickly. Good luck and have a nice airplane.

+1 for Cleveland, I purchased the whole kit when I started building and have added tools to it as I have built. Also, get a tungsten bunking bar, you will be glad you did later, trust me. For future reference while building your practice kit, make sure your air pressure is turned way down on the rivet gun when bucking, (30-40 for 3’s/40-60 for 4’s) I dinged the living **** out of my practice kit before I figured that out. As for the marring, all I do is put a small piece of blue painters tape over the rivet (flush rivets only) before bucking and it works absolutely beautifully. Also welcome!

Back