camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2021, 06:51 PM

Default Beacon/Strobes

I did something similar to the one below, mine is a little taller. It does not bother me at night. I also have wing tip strobes, but dislike using them on the ground at night when near other aircraft. Also since ‘anti-collision’ lights can be EITHER strobes or rotating (flashing) beacons. I like having both. If you have only strobe lights and one fails…. Are you still legal? I’m good to go with the Beacon. (Or legal with strobes if the beacon fails)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburch View Post
I did this on my RV-7. Not flying yet (how time flies...) but it is plenty bright, weighs very little, and doesn't protrude much. Mounting it on top of the rudder and paying attention the shape of the cutout prevents it from reflecting off the wings. Since it's a taildragger it seems plenty visible from adult-eye height or from the cockpit of another aircraft.

Full details here: https://www.rv7blog.com/2012/10/28/red-beacon/

Old 10-11-2021, 07:04 PM

Believe it or not, but the F-111's beacon would RETRACT at high speeds. Probably got an extra half knot out of that. Nothing too good for our men in blue, I guess. The T-38's rudder and wingtips were so thin that a central light was placed within and there were colored lenses on both sides, so nothing was dragging out in the breeze.

That belly light is really good. Thanks.
RV8 #81751 project sold
RV8 #81651 project acquired
https://theonceandfutureflyer.wordpress.com/
Donations up to date thru December 2022

"...serenity...courage...and wisdom..."
Old 10-11-2021, 07:22 PM

1. It doesn't have to rotate, it can flash.

2. I could find nothing in the rules that states you can't distribute the red flashing like you do with strobes, just the 360 degree view and +- 75 degrees horizontal.

3. Keep the flashes under 400 effective candela, and it can't be part of the anti-collision system(not bright enough, but plenty for ground). So you don't have to keep it on at all times since it's not part of the anti-collision system. Red leds aren't as bright as the white ones, so this should be easy.

4. Since it's not part of the anti-collision system, you don't have to meet the +- 75 degrees. Design it for ground visibility, and landing planes and tower can see you on the ground.
Old 10-11-2021, 08:35 PM

LED Hideaway Strobe Lights - Mini Emergency Vehicle LED Warning Lights w/ Built-In Controller - Surface Mount
Part Number: MSTRB

Red, 360 degree, $40. Silent RFI/EMI, Bright, small.
Old 10-12-2021, 12:31 AM

Default Whelen Vertex in Red

I use this. Inexpensive, very bright, small and adjustable. The VTX609R only protrudes 1” round above the surface of the skin for 360° flash.

I’ve installed one of these on my last three airplanes, two on the top of the VS, and one on the belly, and very happy with them.

I recommend the belly under the baggage floor. It’s easily seen by others on the ground day or night, but unnoticeable from the cabin in the air.

And having it come on with the master is a great reminder that you left it on….

- RV10, N762G, Build in progress.
- Several others that are now just great memories for me.

Last edited by rongawer : 10-12-2021 at 12:34 AM.
Old 10-12-2021, 06:32 AM

Default Beacon in top VS fairing.

VS fairing. Sanded grey gel coat off & mounted red LED strip inside. Coated in west systems tinted red & top coat of metallic silver.

Click image for larger version

Name:	45C7F526-FF60-4A48-8179-E12D1FE24139.jpeg
Views:	415
Size:	445.9 KB
ID:	17020

Name:	8B293832-B204-4867-8979-45736C32451E.jpeg
Views:	521
Size:	356.7 KB
ID:	17021
Old 10-12-2021, 10:59 AM

AB1900, that's what I'm thinking of. I'm a little hazy about how you managed to replace opaque fiberglass with a clear cover of the exact same shape? Expound and educate me, please! Also, is the cover red, or just the lights inside? Or both?
RV8 #81751 project sold
RV8 #81651 project acquired
https://theonceandfutureflyer.wordpress.com/
Donations up to date thru December 2022

"...serenity...courage...and wisdom..."
Old 10-12-2021, 03:51 PM

Default Tail beacon solution for TailbeaconX install

Great thread.
Gave me a solution for installing a TailbeaconX which comes with nav light only, I'd be loosing my rear strobe. But now I see a cheap solution!
Old 10-13-2021, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John RV8 View Post
If you have only strobe lights and one fails…. Are you still legal? I’m good to go with the Beacon. (Or legal with strobes if the beacon fails)
See attached Letts Letter from FAA legal. FAA says if you have both (strobes and beacon), you gotta use both, and both (strobes and beacon) generally have to be working.

Sigh. No good deed goes unpunished.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	strobes required Letts Letter.pdf
Views:	359
Size:	1.91 MB
ID:	17042  
RV-6A N47TD - 1100 hrs (sold)
Old 10-13-2021, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Lewis View Post
See attached Letts Letter from FAA legal. FAA says if you have both (strobes and beacon), you gotta use both, and both (strobes and beacon) generally have to be working.

Sigh. No good deed goes unpunished.
Yes, I have heard of the faa citing a pilot for departing, day-vfr, with a known inop beacon. That said, I believe eab operators have an ‘out’. First, note that far 91.205 specifically excludes EAB (‘standard category airworthiness’). Many op limits reference 91.205 for night or ifr operation, but not for day-vfr. That leaves the ‘if you have them, you must use them’ rule. So if your beacon burns out, do not placard it ‘inop’. Instead, disable the CB, and label it ‘removed from service’. There is no requirement to have one for an eab in day-vfr. I am not a lawyer, but I don’t see how the faa can cite you for not having equipment that they say is not required. Now, of course, common sense says to fix it as soon as possible.