Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV Building Tips/Techniques
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2021, 08:48 AM

Default my so far failed attempt

I've been trying to implement a leak free connection between front cowl and airbox using some of the ideas in this thread. My lower cowl snout is separately removable so it can be slid on to the cowl using a horizontal front-to-back motion. My thought was to attach a flexible hose to the lower cowl snout and it would fit into a closely shaped duct on the front of the FAB.

My first attempt used a 2.75" SCAT tube (wire removed for flexibility) that was clamped onto the snout. No pictures because cause it is too rough, and I had trouble getting good alignment between the two parts which would cause the tube to be wrinkled.

My question is - is 2.75" too small? The cowl snout inlet is about 4.25 x 2.2 inches, but with large radius corners, so something under 9 in2, maybe 8 in2? A 2.75" SCAT is only about 6 in2. Going up to 3" SCAT increases the area to 7 in2.

So my question is: does it matter? I don't want to go thru all this work and make a restrictive inlet.

I was wondering if going round was a dumb idea... maybe stick with a more rectangular shape on the flexible duct/sock.
Dave Gribble VAF #232
Building RV-9A N149DG (slider, IO-320, IFR)
Restored and Flying Beech Super III N3698Q
Marion IA

Struggling with fiberglass

There is no sport equal to that which aviators enjoy while being carried through the air on great white wings." Wilbur Wright, 1905
Old 09-08-2021, 04:34 PM

Nothing wrong with "going round" IMO

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1586.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	243.0 KB
ID:	15606

Name:	IMG_1368.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	475.5 KB
ID:	15607

Name:	59296595993__27E87841-39EB-4E07-BB86-84CEE0E5BC32.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	222.9 KB
ID:	15608

Hop-Along Aerodrome (12VA)
RV-6A - N30YD - Built '98 / sold '20
RV-10 - N130YD - 50 hours +
65 years running stock DNA
Old 09-08-2021, 06:56 PM

I made my snorkel removable and extended the snout about 3", making a 3" round opening with an embedded 3" round aluminum tubing inside to accept 3" Scat. I also have a highly modified standard Van's FAB to accept the other end of the Scat. I don't have a photo of my FAB, but in the second picture, you can see the 3" aluminum tube in the snorkel snout.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1566.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	200.2 KB
ID:	15613  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1572.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	15614  
RV-10: #41686 Under Construction
RV-9A: #90949 Under Construction
RV-10: #40637 Completed/Sold 2016
Cozy MKIV:#656 Completed/Sold 2007
"Donor Exempt" but donated through Dec. 2021
Old 09-08-2021, 07:46 PM

Default Rubber induction moldings

Edit: Should title this rubber molding of induction path. This wasn't induction molded.

My challenge was with a FM-200 on a Superior sump. Using the K&N filter yields very little room for anything. So my answer was to lay-up a kevlar/urethane filter body connecting the FM-200 to the inlet ring.

I suspect that there may be some collapse at high power and low airspeed. This seems evident by some oil imprints from the K&N on the inside of the cone. This could also be happening at/caused by high engine torque.

I did some estimates of airflow at high engine power and low DA then used a shop vac to try to produce that flow x 1.5. I did not see any cone collapse doing that test so I cannot be sure where the soft filter body-filter contact may be coming from.

If I were to be doing it again I would definitely lay some reinforcing rings into the circumference of the cone to stiffen against collapse without affecting lateral flexibility.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Filter_Body.png
Views:	98
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	15615  

Last edited by wawrzynskivp : 09-08-2021 at 07:50 PM.
Old 09-09-2021, 03:47 PM

Would using the 90 degree elbow airflow performance sells beteeen the sump and the servo be an option?
Old 09-09-2021, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaRV9Dreamer View Post
I've been trying to implement a leak free connection between front cowl and airbox using some of the ideas in this thread. My lower cowl snout is separately removable so it can be slid on to the cowl using a horizontal front-to-back motion. My thought was to attach a flexible hose to the lower cowl snout and it would fit into a closely shaped duct on the front of the FAB.

My first attempt used a 2.75" SCAT tube (wire removed for flexibility) that was clamped onto the snout. No pictures because cause it is too rough, and I had trouble getting good alignment between the two parts which would cause the tube to be wrinkled.

My question is - is 2.75" too small? The cowl snout inlet is about 4.25 x 2.2 inches, but with large radius corners, so something under 9 in2, maybe 8 in2? A 2.75" SCAT is only about 6 in2. Going up to 3" SCAT increases the area to 7 in2.

So my question is: does it matter? I don't want to go thru all this work and make a restrictive inlet.

I was wondering if going round was a dumb idea... maybe stick with a more rectangular shape on the flexible duct/sock.

The Rod Bower set up I have uses a ring of roughly 1/4 inch neoprene (I think wet suit material) sewn together to make the flexible connection between an AL transition from the filter inlet to the front ring on the removable lower cowl inlet. It works great.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0442.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	211.6 KB
ID:	15644  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0440.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	257.5 KB
ID:	15645  

Larry Anderson
Indianapolis