-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 08-12-2021, 11:46 AM

Like others have said on this thread, we've seen most all varieties of hoses on experimentals and some certified planes with WAYYYYYYYY outdated H8794 rubber assemblies. Thats one of the reasons we started to begin with.
George stated steel fittings in his opinion---and thats fine, we just happen to use Mil Spec stainless for our from -3 through -8. And for us, teflon is the way to go. Others may not agree. Ours meet the new TSO C140 spec, for working pressures and heat protection.

We have quite a few clients that still make their own, buying aircraft quality parts from Spruce and others, or Race car part suppliers like Pegasus, Earls, Russell, etc. As the builder the plumbing is up to you. Some like the 'recreation and education' of designeing their systems, and fabricating their assemblies. I commend them! But no, dont use garden hose and yes we've seen it, along with clear icemaker hose, industrial hydraulic hose, etc. Haven't seen a straw from McDonalds yet, and I hope I never do.

Use good, known parts, inspect them regularly, and you'll be fine.

Tom
Proud Vendor for RV1, Donator to VAF
RV7A Tail Kit Completed, Fuse started-Pay as I go Plan, on hold while we develop new products for RV builders
Ridgeland, SC
www.tsflightlines.com, www.asflightlines.com
Old 08-12-2021, 01:44 PM

I wanted to chime in here on the topic of building your own hoses. I built my own brake lines from Earls stainless steel material. I feel comfortable with that. They were relatively easy to put together once you get the nack of it. However, for the oil lines (fuel too) I would want to make sure that I bought fluid lines that are pressure tested after they are assembled. So I'll be buying those fluid lines from Tom. I'm sure I could make fuel and/or oil lines too and they would probably be fine, but I don't want to take that risk.

You can do a search of engine outages from loss of oil due to the oil line coming apart if you think I'm being overly conservative.
RV-7 Fuselage in progress
* Cabin Interior - In progress
RV-7 SB Wings
* Both Wings fully skinned
* Fuel Tanks Complete - No leaks finally
* Ailerons Complete
* Flaps Complete
RV-7 Empennage - Complete (a little fiberglass work left)
Vans Training Kit # 2 - Complete
RV-7 Preview Plans
Vans Training Kit #1 - Complete
EAA Sheet Metal Class - Complete
Old 08-12-2021, 03:26 PM

Thank you Ray----and yes all of our assemblies are pressure tested. During my development testing, Ive taken them 2x's the working pressure, which in most cases for our engines either 250x for fuel, (30 psi) and 93x for oil (80 psi). WAYYYYYYY more than you'll ever see, but we have to know the limits. No failures at 7500 psi, and thats the limit on the pump on my test cabinet. So the failure point is above that, but I didnt feel the need to find out. (Does sound like a muffled gunshot, and somewhat of a mess to clean up in the cabinet!)

If you are going to make your own, have a plan, and rig a test apparatus to check them. 150 psi on your air compressor is fine for a leak check, but not a proof test. AND----dont lay it on the hangar/shop floor to test it. Truck side tool boxes are ok---alittle big, but I built my first test cabinet from one. Pump was a 10,000 hydraulic jack pump with a big reservoir.
Use can use a nitrogen bottle, or an oxygen bottle with a good regulator, but SAFETY is a must.
Or you can just give us a call, and do the hard work or you!
Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hydrostatic pressure tester.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	786.1 KB
ID:	14618  
RV7A Tail Kit Completed, Fuse started-Pay as I go Plan, on hold while we develop new products for RV builders
Ridgeland, SC
Old 08-12-2021, 04:42 PM

I wouldn’t recommend using oxygen for testing purposes. A little oil or anything else flammable and you could have an explosion. Probably best to use a fluid so it doesn’t compress, in the event of a rupture.
Old 08-12-2021, 04:50 PM

well yeah Brad---agreed, but we've seen worse. UH how about Propane? Dont ask.
Tom
Ridgeland, SC
Old 08-15-2021, 04:49 PM

Default Hydrostatic only!!!

Tom, I suggest you edit that post and remove gaseous pressure testing with nitrogen or oxygen. There is a huge energy in a compressed gas test and a lot of people here that might try it on your comment.

I tested mine to proof pressures with oil and inside a pipe just-in-case.

Edit your post and I will delete this one.

RV-7
Old 08-15-2021, 06:54 PM

Ok Per Bill----test only with non flamable fluids----I use water in my test cabinet. Have used ISO46 hydraulic fluid, Mil 5606.
DONT use any gases.

(But didn know of a guy that tried oxygen, nitrogen and even propane, because they were handy. DONT!)
Tom
Ridgeland, SC
Old 08-15-2021, 07:06 PM

I have a Nanchang that had a lot of those Earl's self-assembled stainless braided hoses for oil and fuel fluids. One of the fuel lines looked great from the outside but when filled leaked like a colander. The lining material was so affected by avgas that it was totally broken down and the hose was beyond a soaker hose. It looked so pretty when dry I had to destroy it in fear some dumpster diver might find it and try to use it.

Here's another complete endorsement to go with a set of TS Flightlines hoses and never look back.