Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > My RV Build Project
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2020, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamlip View Post

Me, at warp speed, trying to hold it together.

So that's an upside down version of the RV grin?

Glad it is going as fast as it should, thanks for the updates!
Building RV-6A #22320 O-320 FP. Wings and tail complete, working on fuselage
Flying my Aeroprakt A-22 STOL and the aero club's RV-9A while I build
Old 09-17-2020, 08:50 PM

Hi Paul,

It's the RV-6 grimace.

What a great machine.

James
2020 paid
Old 02-20-2021, 11:45 AM

Hi James, I think you last reported that you did not like your trim knob mounting experiment. I was wondering what you ended up with and if you've discovered that you have had to make any other mods to the plane.
Old 08-02-2021, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioflyer View Post
Hi James, I think you last reported that you did not like your trim knob mounting experiment. I was wondering what you ended up with and if you've discovered that you have had to make any other mods to the plane.
Record for late reply? I went with electric trim.

I ran a push-pull cable from the elevator trim through to a box that had been added to the back of my storage area (which is not part of the standard build).

Then I mounted a Ray Allen servo on the side, which actuates the cable.

The switch is between the throttle and the prop pitch knob, so I can run it with one finger when I have my hand on the throttle. I never liked them on the stick because pressing the switch affects the feel of the stick whilst you're trying to adjust it. I find it nicer to hold the stick lightly and hit the switch with my other hand.

I'll see if I can dig out some pictures.
2020 paid
Old 08-06-2021, 12:26 AM

Here you go...

2020 paid
Old 08-09-2021, 06:49 AM

Thanks for posting the pics. I now see how you dealt with your trim installation.
Old 08-24-2021, 12:19 AM

Little update.

I've had the aircraft flying for just over a year now and I really love it. It's fast, carries way more than the 4 did, and I've just worked out how to land it properly (despite my trying, it won't three-point nicely so I wheel it on at 63 knots).

During the rebuild I removed the 'centre console' thing that ran from the middle of the panel to the middle of the seats (and held the tank selector and engine & prop controls) and constructed a box tunnel to cover the fuel line and create a home for the tank selector. I planned to put cup holders in the top of the box, along with stuff for pens and whatnot.

The tunnel never got finished, so I flew around with the fuel pipe and a big (wrapped) bundle of wires sort of exposed to the sky. It looked terrible. The cup holder idea was also dreadful due to the proximity to the rudder pedals and potential for stray items to migrate to places where they could cause chaos.

So this weekend I pulled everything apart and started again. To cut a long, hot and sweaty story short, the fuel line and wiring now run under the floor, and I have a wide open footwell that is completely flat from side to side.

The fuel selector is on a bracket which is held in place by two spar bolts. The pump is on another bracket held in the place by two other spar bolts. Unlike my tunnel setup, the selector is now within easy reach without having to lean forward.

(This was taken before I tied and P-clipped the wire bundle)

Next on my list is to sort out the upholstery. Back when I was nearly ready to fly the thing, I was very graciously given a set of seat cushions by a fellow VAF'er. They've been great, but they don't quite fit my (low) seat backs and I would prefer something that was easier to clean (vinyl or leather). Trying to work out whether to go with Classic Aero or similar, or stick with the basic foam I have. I flew the thing back to SoCal from North Carolina a few weeks ago (14 hours over a day) and it wasn't that terrible, but I do occasionally get this sense I'm teetering on a block of foam rather than being sat 'in' a seat.

At some point I should also finish the wheel pants and get the fiberglass painted...

2020 paid

Last edited by jamlip : 08-24-2021 at 12:33 AM.
Old 08-24-2021, 10:24 AM

A westbound transcon trip over one long day.... 14 hours in the seat? Dude, you're my hero! My longest was 10 hours in the seat Houston - Boise, and I was beat!

Get Classic Aero if you can, they're worth the price.
1850 hrs
Houston, TX
Old 08-26-2021, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbDC9 View Post
A westbound transcon trip over one long day.... 14 hours in the seat? Dude, you're my hero! My longest was 10 hours in the seat Houston - Boise, and I was beat!

Get Classic Aero if you can, they're worth the price.
Everything I've read leads to Classic Aero.

Yeah, 14 hours in the air, ducking and weaving around a front that extended from NC to AZ. Sometimes at 11,000, sometimes at 500. Lots of interesting moments, including a controller that was sure I had flown into terrain east of Phoenix (meanwhile I was having a lovely time hacking along in almost unlimited forward vis).

I slept 12 hours that night.
2020 paid
Old 08-28-2021, 06:28 PM

Update - I wrote an Oshkosh / East Coast trip report here: https://vansairforce.net/community/s...=1#post1551782
2020 paid