Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > My RV Build Project
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2021, 04:13 PM

Default Huge reward on completion

Hang in there Paul. I had a similar story to yours and it took me 21 years from first rivet to first flight. The plane is awesome and better performing than I ever imagined. Besides, us 3, 4 and 6/6A guys are certified Builders , not just Assemblers .
Old 05-18-2021, 11:54 AM

That paint looks beautiful. Just curious how "corrosion" formed on powder coat? Was it cracked through in places?
And good on being back in the saddle. Glad the treatment worked! G'day

exemption option waived. Donation appropriate.

Last edited by flightlogic : 05-18-2021 at 11:54 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-18-2021, 07:12 PM

Thanks all for the encouragement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlogic View Post
That paint looks beautiful. Just curious how "corrosion" formed on powder coat? Was it cracked through in places?
And good on being back in the saddle. Glad the treatment worked! G'day

I'm not sure why corrosion was able to form under the powder coating but I suspect that there were microscopic pinholes in the finish. Corrosion started at the pinholes and then filiform corrosion spread underneath.

I had stored the parts inside the workshop in a dry location, for a long time, and dust had settled on the upper surfaces where there was the most corrosion.

I think that the original powder coat might have been applied without thoroughly cleaning and preparing the steel first, because some felt marker pen handwriting has seeped through from under the coating. I previously believed that powder coating was a really tough and impervious finish, like an old enamelled iron bath, and was a bit surprised by the corrosion. Most likely the newer kits are better now?
Building RV-6A #22320 O-320 FP. Wings and tail complete, working on fuselage
Flying my Aeroprakt A-22 STOL and the aero club's RV-9A while I build
Old 05-29-2021, 08:24 PM

Default Refinished canopy frame

I stripped and refinished the canopy frame as it also had some corrosion coming through the original powder coat. The powder coat came off quite easily and was much thinner than it was on the roll bar.

Conditions were ideal for painting outdoors but on the same day there was a mass aerial migration of millions of spiders. Very occasionally, when the conditions are right, the spiders will climb up and spin out a length of thread and then drift off on their parachute to a new home. Some of them were landing where I was painting so I had to wait a bit until they were done travelling.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210520_110212.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	689.4 KB
ID:	12059  
Old 05-29-2021, 09:34 PM

Default Panel ideas

It will be a while before I get to the stage of installing the panel and instruments, but I used my recent "down time" to do some thinking and planning.

At the time of deciding on the RV kit in 1992 there were no glass panels or even experimental versions of flight and engine instruments. The options were either new (expensive) certified gauges, or second-hand equipment. Most builders seemed to scrounge around and find a mix of second hand gear, and that's what I originally thought I would be doing.

My plane is following the original Vans philosophy of keeping it light and simple for day VFR flying. But I will likely install an autopilot for added safety and convenience.

I learned to fly with round gauges and also like the classic look and so was considering how to achieve this with some modern digital instruments. One of the panel design ideas is based around independent steam gauges, Garmin G5 (or similar) and separate engine monitor instruments.

The other design idea is based around an EFIS and is something that I never thought I would consider! However I've been forced to make the transition while flying the Foxbat, which is fitted with only a Dynon D180 EFIS/EMS, single radio and portable GPS. This setup provides pretty well every thing I need but I would like at least backup for ASI in the RV.

The mockups of the panel layout were done in HangarZulu.com and the more accurate scale drawings using TurboCAD.

I've also been studying the "Aerolectric Connection" for the electrical system, which will be based on the Z11 schematic.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Garmin G5.png
Views:	77
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	12062  Click image for larger version

Name:	7 inch EFIS backup LHS+RHS.png
Views:	67
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	12063  Click image for larger version

Name:	PanelCAD.png
Views:	55
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	12064  
Old 05-30-2021, 12:52 AM

Good thinking on that panel Paul.
Thing is glass has, unless one wants to fill all available square mm of the panel, become very affordable.
I modified my own ship from round strictly VFR gages to dual G5 with their respective battery backup, a GNX375, left the old but still working good VM1000 in, and love that set up. An AP could quite easily be added, but I donít have the need for one.

One thing to consider are the 2 bulkheads which demand modification if installing larger screens.

In any case, good continuation and good health.

http://www.aerofun.ch

RV-6.9 #25685, slider, O-360-A3A (carb/dual Lightspeed II), MTV-12-B, HB-YLL owner & lover
RV-4 #2062 HB-YVZ airframe builder
Old 05-30-2021, 03:13 AM

Hi Paul
My RV6 (0-360, fixed pitch) was an eighteen year build and to date has a grand total of just under 25 hours flight time, so still in the test flight stage. That said its been almost trouble free and in the words of the test pilot 'goes like a rocket'!
Keep at it, the years it might take to get to the flying stage wont matter when its wheels leave the ground for the first time. Its a great feeling!!

Clive Whittfield
Auckland
New Zealand
Old 07-22-2021, 03:09 AM

Lightbulb 10354 days so far

The calendar says that today is day 10,354 since the start, in year 29 of the build. But I daren't rush as that's a recipe for making mistakes!

We have had the wettest winter in decades, but finally got some decent weather for priming the fuselage side skins. I've riveted the rest of the fuselage sides now and the next step is to temporarily fit the wings while the fuselage is still upside down in the jig.

This is going to be a trike undercarriage and the gear sockets and main legs need to be aligned and drilled in situ with the wing spar. I'm hoping that the landing gear is going to be OK on the farm strip and may fit larger tires during construction, as well as the new style nose gear and new engine mount. A couple of RV-6s visited recently and the soft wet surface was really not ideal for the 5 inch main wheels and little tail wheel.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210717_103524.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	391.5 KB
ID:	13893  Click image for larger version

Name:	20210717_103635.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	311.5 KB
ID:	13894  Click image for larger version

Name:	20210722_155615.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	309.7 KB
ID:	13895  Click image for larger version

Name:	20210717_122118.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	657.6 KB
ID:	13896  
Old 07-23-2021, 01:20 AM

Hey Paul
Powder coating is actually porous... garden lights,house lights,pool fences in alloy or steel,car wheels etc..basically most stuff corrodes or rusts under the powder coating and depends on the environment as to how quickly this happens.
To protect your metals better a zinc or epoxy powder is applied first before the actual powder finish colour..ask any powder coater...the reason its not done is usually cost
I built a gyrocopter trailer over 20 years ago and had it zinc and powder coated..spends its whole life outside and it still looks good.
Joe
Windsor NSW
Old 07-23-2021, 07:13 AM

Hey Paul, I too like the look of round instruments. I like your first panel rendition. Good to keep airspeed and altimeter closer together. 1) I think it has been established that with modern efis and magnetometer, you don't need a wet compass, so maybe in WA, you're allowed to delete. 2) Did you relocate your transponder elsewhere from the panel?