Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-7/7A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2021, 03:00 PM

I was looking for an area to install a shelf similar to what Ryan did. There seems to be a couple of complications in my build. First the slider ribs are not rectangular so it wouldn't be quite as nice and large of and area. Second I have a bunch of avionics that protrude though my subpanel in the center. It may still be possible for a smaller shelf in that area though.

The other option seems to be placing a shelf or two behind the G3x units. I think I may need to put some more stuff together to see how all of this might fit.
RV-7 Fuselage in progress
* Cabin Interior - In progress
RV-7 SB Wings
* Both Wings fully skinned
* Fuel Tanks Complete - No leaks finally
* Ailerons Complete
* Flaps Complete
RV-7 Empennage - Complete (a little fiberglass work left)
Vans Training Kit # 2 - Complete
RV-7 Preview Plans
Vans Training Kit #1 - Complete
EAA Sheet Metal Class - Complete
Old 07-14-2021, 08:39 PM

I added my GEA24 to the forward ribs. I think I'll put the GDL-52R on a shelf behind the PFD. That seems like a good location.

I'm wondering everyone's experience with installing the access panels on the forward top skin aft of the firewall? On the one hand they could be convenient, on the other hand if they don't seal well they could end up being a real annoyance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GEA24_mounting.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	389.4 KB
ID:	13658  
RV-7 SB Wings
* Ailerons Complete
* Flaps Complete
RV-7 Preview Plans
Old 07-15-2021, 07:37 PM

I have round access covers and a friend has rectangular. Mine do not leak, nor do his. A seal was made by taking red gasket silicone cement and making a continued "S" line all the way around the fraying flange of the lid (staying to the inside of the screw holes), then lubricating the corresponding flange area with light spray lubricant, then putting the cover on and lightly tightening the screws.
Old 07-15-2021, 09:50 PM

Default access

Make sure you have access to all the boxes to be removed once top skin is on and make sure you have room for connectors and wire routing. It gets pretty tight. I used Allen screws to mount the boxes because they dont strip out and they are easier to remove when they are hidden; also easier to reinsert blind.

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Dues paid 2021, worth every penny

RV9A- Status:
95% done, 15% left to go
Electrical/Panel 95% done
Firewall Forward 5% in work
Fiberglass 0%, thought i was building in metal?
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com
Old 07-15-2021, 10:33 PM

If you don’t have access panels, those boxes will be near impossible to service once the rudder pedals are installed. Especially if you used standard nuts.
N164WM
N184WM reserved (RV-8)....finishing kit in progress. Titan IOX-370
Old 07-15-2021, 10:54 PM

I'm in the process of installing platenuts and I'll use and hex socket head screws. I wouldn't say they will be impossible to reach, but I realize access panels may be a good idea.
RV-7 SB Wings
* Ailerons Complete
* Flaps Complete
RV-7 Preview Plans
Old 07-15-2021, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-mike View Post
If you don’t have access panels, those boxes will be near impossible to service once the rudder pedals are installed. Especially if you used standard nuts.
Wouldn't it be easy to service the boxes by simply removing an EFIS screen or two?
RV-8 empenage finished 10-2020

Wings Started.. 11-2020
Old 07-16-2021, 08:34 AM

Default Access panels

I just updated my panel with the GNX 375 and added the access panel kit from Vans to my -7. Even though I tried to think through future equipment access and wiring access when I built the plane 13 years ago I do not think I could have accomplished this upgrade without basically pulling the entire panel out (3 section panel setup). The access panels made the upgrade doable and while I was at it I relocated a couple of units to make future servicing even easier.

With current systems like the G3 and Skyview you can access a lot of stuff by removing the large display panels but anything on the backside of the intermediate bulkhead and related wiring is still a real pain to get at and being upside down under the panel with only one arm being really useful is not fun at all.

Not everyone agrees on the subject but I am a convert and the kit is only around $25 with pre-punched holes and all the parts, IMHO money well spent.
YMMV
Figs
Old 07-16-2021, 09:09 AM

Not sure if I'm the other builder that Ryan mentioned, but I designed a mounting tray that bridges the tip-up panel mounting ribs and also has a drop-down support from the center subpanel support rib. Details here -

https://mightyrv.com/?p=3790

I didn't really plan on dropping the entire tray for maintenance, it's more about accommodating future panel upgrades. It's not impossible to access those boxes with the rudder pedals installed *if* you use nutplates. I've already had to drop the transponder once for a software upgrade (before I found a local avionics person who could update the box via USB) and although it wasn't super easy, it was very doable. Dropping the G3x units should be easier.

The only problem I encountered was not leaving enough room between the tray stiffener angles and transponder/GTR-20 connector backshells/harnesses. They fit, but not as well as I'd like and if I were doing it over again I'd leave out the center support and put the stiffener angles on the top of the shelf as Ryan did.

HTH

Dave
RV-7 N701ED Flying!
Nashua, NH (KASH) / Plymouth, NH (1P1)

Last edited by Thermos : 07-16-2021 at 09:20 AM.