Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2021, 05:37 PM

Default Standard Kit vs Quick Build

Guys, I need to make a decision on buying the standard or quick build wing/fuselage kits (the next day or two). Can someone confirm that if I buy the standard kits, that I will no longer need to build/use jigs to build those sections due to the matched-hole ribs/skins CNC way Vans is now delivering this kits? Is it necessary or prudent to also use a jig even with matched-hole fabrication, or is alignment "guaranteed" with the m-h method?

I've seen some videos of -8 builds and they are using jigs. I'd like to avoid that if at all possible.

Also, due to lead times QB kits and recent complications (primer, mostly) with the plant in the Philippines, I wonder if it might be faster to order a Standard Wing Kit and start building (8 month lead time understood) after the empennage, rather than wait for a QB wing kit.

I plan to order the Empennage, Standard Wing Kit and Quick Build immediately.
The Empennage kit should come in 4 months. Assuming a 4-month-to-completion, that will give me time to complete it before the Standard Wing Kit comes in about 4 months after the Empennage Kit. While I am building both of those sections, the QB Fuselage kit will be processed and I will expect delivery of that some time late 2022. After building the wing, I will order the finishing kit (8 mo lead time). Does this seem like a reasonable, orderly approach to my build?

Also, because Vans is just 35 minutes away, I will be able to avoid shipping time and cost.

Since you guys have "been there; done that," I respect your experience and look forward to hearing from you!
Old 07-05-2021, 11:40 PM

The lead times are so much longer than when I started mine 2 years ago itís hard to compare build plans.

To me the fuselage is more interesting to build than the wings. I built my fuselage first while waiting for QB wings.
Old 07-06-2021, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyflyr View Post
Guys, I need to make a decision on buying the standard or quick build wing/fuselage kits (the next day or two). Can someone confirm that if I buy the standard kits, that I will no longer need to build/use jigs to build those sections due to the matched-hole ribs/skins CNC way Vans is now delivering this kits? Is it necessary or prudent to also use a jig even with matched-hole fabrication, or is alignment "guaranteed" with the m-h method?
You don't need a rigid jig like in the older kit. However you need to build a wing fixture that holds up the wing assembly as you are building the wings. This is described in the plan. The fuselage does not need any fixture.
Avionics Installation -- 90%
Firewall Forward -- Cowl completed. Baffle 90%
Electrical -- 90%

Donation paid through 2021
Old 07-06-2021, 10:15 AM

If it was me, and it isnít, I would order the empennage kit, fuselage kit, and finish kit. And have the wings as quick build.

By the time you have finished the fuselage and empennage the wings will be arriving and they need very little work to bolt straight on, and you wonít have the mess of the fuel tanks and stuff like that. Itís the quickest way to get flying.
Old 07-07-2021, 03:01 AM

Great advice from all of you. Thanks for the input very much.

Skyflyr
Old 07-07-2021, 07:32 AM

Have the wings quickbuild. The fuselage is fun to build. No jigs required. I have just hit one year since receiving the tail kit. Progress has been pretty good. I also had two months of not building while waiting on fuselage kit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210610_201004.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	414.9 KB
ID:	13376  
RV-6 N926DG: Purchased & Sold
A&P, Comm. SEL/Rotortrash, S-70
Old 07-07-2021, 11:03 AM

Default QB vs Slow build

I have a QB kit and if I were to do it over Iíd go with what has been suggested, ie slow build tail kit, fuselage and QB wings. Still plenty to do with a QB kit, but feel you can save some $ and get lots of hands on with a slow build fuse. Just my two cents
Old 07-07-2021, 12:17 PM

Thanks Jordan and Dave! Just seeing that pic of the tail and fuselage together was very motivating!!!
Old 07-07-2021, 12:45 PM

Another recommendation for QB wings and SB fuse, but if I had to do it again, I would go SB wings again just so I could build better fuel tanks the 2nd time around. I've seen some of the QB fuel tanks end up needing work anyway. I definitely wouldn't miss preparing all the ribs though.

I made a joke to Vans a while back about offering a QB light option where all the edge deburring is done for you. They didn't seem interested.
SB Wings to QB stage
Fuselage in progress
Finish kit/Engine/Prop Ordered
Old 07-07-2021, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girraf View Post
I made a joke to Vans a while back about offering a QB light option where all the edge deburring is done for you. They didn't seem interested.
Oh that would be fantastic. I get harassed about the amount of deburring that goes on. Some think it's all I do.
Fuselage at the "porcupine stage"
Dash 8 day job is financing the RV8
Donation till September 2022