Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2021, 06:59 PM

Default What did you do with your RV this weekend? (6/19 - 6/20/21)

We had planned to fly up to Torrance, CA (TOA) to get some Indian food tomorrow. But due to a number of factors, I decided to head up there alone this afternoon and get the food to go, and eat it for dinner at home.

The marine layer was supposed to clear up around noon, but when I was ready to go, it was still overcast at TOA. I filed a quick IFR flight plan, but departed VFR, planning to pick up the flight plan in the air, if needed. That plan worked fine, and near Orange County, I received my clearance to TOA. I did the GPS 29R approach into TOA and then parked at transient parking, and walked over to the restaurant, calling them to place my order on the way there...

The food was ready when I arrived, so I picked it up, and walked back to the airport. Back in the plane, and by this time the marine layer had pulled away from the airport, but was still hugging the coast. I did a right downwind departure from 29R, and headed south over the Queen Mary, continued along the coast, and then landed back home...

Pretty nice to have an airplane to pick up dinner with. . Whether the food to go is any good is still TBD.

I've said it before, but it's worth saying it again... for those that are looking for somewhere in the SoCal area to fly, TOA is a good spot. Plenty of transient parking, a nice GA terminal to relax in, clean restrooms, and an easy walk (10 minutes or less) to probably 20+ restaurants. In addition, it's quite easy to fly VFR in/out of.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Torrance.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	12832  
Old 06-19-2021, 07:05 PM

Default 90%done 90% to go

Wired up the baggage lights.

I know this is suppose to be a flying thread to motivate those of us who are still building, but I cant help myself.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	C2955970-7F20-460A-BAF0-E368A4EF0A47.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	256.2 KB
ID:	12834  

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Dues paid 2021, worth every penny

RV9A- Status:
95% done, 15% left to go
Electrical/Panel 95% done
Firewall Forward 5% in work
Fiberglass 0%, thought i was building in metal?
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com

Last edited by PilotjohnS : 06-19-2021 at 07:08 PM.
Old 06-19-2021, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotjohnS View Post
Wired up the baggage lights.

I know this is suppose to be a flying thread to motivate those of us who are still building, but I cant help myself.
Well, a few years back, I originated this thread/idea. My concept was to share what the flying RVs were doing, but also include the builders, so they could share what they were doing.. I think I can speak for most of us and say we'd welcome seeing what those still building are working on too!
Old 06-19-2021, 08:40 PM

As often happens at an airpark, the banter gets a little over the top. For several months, the resident trouble-makers have been contemplating formation mowing for the airport property. The day finally came, and we had 14 mowers lined up to turn blades. It took 25 minutes to mow 20 acres.

Then, or course, since Oshkosh IS coming...It is time to be not only IFR legal but absolutely proficient. So, it was off for a few approaches to hone some of those skills.

Old 06-19-2021, 09:31 PM

Flew to 2K9 for breakfast.
Donated
Old 06-19-2021, 09:57 PM

No flying this weekend, I'm in the middle of my annual. Should be up again before next weekend. I did fly the 1/2 hour to Springbank on Monday to meet up with an instructor to get some instrument training in. Revised TAF dropped while I was enroute and I was greeted by a storm threatening heavy rain and hail. After scrambling to find a hangar to pull into I watched the storm take a path north toward my home airport. A couple of hours later I headed home - no training flight.

The most significant part of my week was writing and passing the instrument written exam yesterday. 20 more hours of training and a flight test and I'll be rated. This summer hopefully.
RV-9A #91081, C-GCPT
Dynon SkyView HDX, IO-320 and WW 200RV C/S. Flying as of August 6, 2018

Added GPS 175 and authorized for IFR April 1, 2021

Interactive map of all of my flights here
Old 06-19-2021, 09:58 PM

Continued painting the fuselage. Joe Lucia painted this fantastic nose art for me in only two hours! I have a time lapse video of the process (or most of it) on my YouTube channel; I'll include a link below. Continued with the squadron lettering; discovered I only had one set of vinyl masks for the Stars & Bars instead of the four I'll need. Pressed on... and it's only a small part of the painting process, but unmasking the N-numbers is still a very special moment.

https://youtu.be/_LyyNrrtgGU
RV-8 #83507 - registered; final assembly continues; still putting out my own brush fires.
Builder websites:
http://goatflieg.blogspot.com/
http://www.mykitlog.com/goatflieg/
YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/goatflieg
Dues paid for 2021... extra payment included for psychological therapeutic services rendered.

Have you ever gotten the feeling you were smarter than you could ever prove?
Old 06-20-2021, 01:07 AM

Getting ready for 36th Annual Father’s Day Fly-in Breakfast from 8:00 am to 1:00 pm at Beach City Airport (2D7). Starting to check weather now at 3 AM. I've been going to this fly-in for over 25 years.
-
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-06-20 at 2.56.20 AM.png
Views:	69
Size:	3.56 MB
ID:	12836  Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-06-20 at 3.04.21 AM.png
Views:	90
Size:	4.04 MB
ID:	12837  
Jim Stricker - EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC N86203
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub N6841H
Bought Flying RV-12 #120058 Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 735

LSRM-A Certificate 2016 for RV-12 N633CM
Special Thanks... EJ Trucks - USN Crew Chief A-4 Skyhawk
MJ Stricker (Father - CFI) - USAAF 1st Lt. Captain B-17H
Old 06-20-2021, 05:12 AM

Drove (sorry, but Harbor Freight was on the way) to breakfast at the local grass strip, then a friend drove to the big airport, got in the RV-9A and flew up to 3J0, Hampton County, South Carolina. They were having a ribbon cutting as they had just repaved everything and built 20 T hangars and two box hangars. All of the T hangars and one of the box hangars were rented before they were completed...

Was going to shoot better video of some of the Expanded Envelope Exercises® on the way back, but the weather was about 2500 overcast with a hazy background. From experience, those lighting conditions make the video have low saturation, i.e., almost look like it was shot black and white.

Also wanted to explore Low Speed Spirals as a possible accident mechanism following a failed Impossible Turn, but wanted more altitude for safety and better lighting for the video. Also wanted to document flight characteristics of an abrupt power chop at Vx, but...

The worst part of the South Carolina trip was that I was parked next to a brand new, unpainted RV-7A, and then an old Piper Tomahawk with a nice paint scheme parked next to us. Folks walked by the two RVs to look at the Tomahawk...
Vaccines kept me out of the hospital but COVID still cost me a month of living, all told...
Old 06-20-2021, 06:01 AM

Beautiful day so I went up for 1.5 hours to practice the "Possible Turn" for the first time, in the hopes of establishing a min altitude for a turnback.